Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hiking boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Jan 13, 2023 4:38 pm 
I have two different sized feet with a slight deformity in my right foot. I have tried everything. About 10 years ago I even bought two pairs of Asolo 520’s with a half size difference (to the tune of around $700). Luckily I was able to sell the other half of the odd size on ebay to recoup some of the outlay. I couldn’t make it work so I put them on the shelf and started buying Altra’s. The foot shape let my toes splay out and seemed to work the best. But they have limited support and crappy build quality control and start coming apart after a few hikes. Lately I retrieved my 520’s off the shelf and started experimenting with different inserts and thickness of socks in the left and right boot. So far so good. But I always have my other 15 pairs of boots/trail runners to fall back on if needed. Tom is right. The best boot is the one that fits your foot!

Chief Joseph, Mountainpines
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
The Ghost of Bear 380
~SJ~

The Ghost of Bear 380
~SJ~
PostFri Jan 20, 2023 3:37 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
I'm on my second pair of Hoka Speedgoats and really enjoying them.
@zimmertr, how many miles did you get out of them before needing to replace them?

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Jan 20, 2023 6:20 pm 
I replace all my trail runners at around 250 miles. They could usually go further, sometimes a lot more, but my primary activity is running and I am overweight so I do it for my health.

Flickr | Strava

The Ghost of Bear 380
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostMon Feb 20, 2023 1:28 pm 
I got Solomon Quest 4 GTX. These have great ankle support, a bit stiff, and maybe a bit too warm in the summer. But overall these fit great. So, hopefully I didn’t make a mistake with these. These are between Vasquez Breeze 2 and St. Elias that I usually don’t take with me cause too stupor, suitable more in the winter. And my hikes are mostly in the summer and fall.

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostMon Feb 20, 2023 1:28 pm 
At home now, The heal though is a bit hard and stiff. They didn’t add much cushion, especially in the heal. So, I’m not sure. It can take a toll on my knees. frown.gif I don’t think I will find anything better. Recap: But I did order Hoka kaha boots as well.