Forum Index > Trip Reports > Meadowdale Beach Park - January 14, 2023
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon Jan 16, 2023 10:50 pm 
I haven't uploaded my photos to my computer yet, but I wanted to let you know that the lower part of the trail with the beach access under the railroad bridge is open again. The bridge looks really nice. However, the pedestrian part was under water at high tide, and with the construction fencing still in place, it made the beach inaccessible. I don't know if it was just a super high tide, or if that was a mistake in the design. Anyway, they've created a new tidal estuary. It should look real nice once the plants grow up and fill in. They are still doing work down there, and the restroom hasn't been replaced (there are 2 porta-potties up top) and the picnic tables need to be put in. It's a nice hike, though, if you just have an hour or two, and gets a bit of a cardio workout. Link to WTA report with a few photos: https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2023-01-14.3438786219

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com

Now I Fly, marta, Bramble_Scramble
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostTue Jan 17, 2023 1:36 am 
Wow I was not expecting the structure to be so massive. I usually walk up the beach from Brackett's Landing a dozen or so times in the spring. Last year I turned around before the park boundary each time. I saw heavy machinery heading in and out every day. The only time I've ever hiked the trail to the beach the tunnel was flooded so that picture definitely brings back memories. I'm interested to see how the restoration affects the beach walkability. Before you could easily hop the creek. Will that still be possible or will you have head upstream to a bridge? Edit: I'm also wondering if anyone has info on walking under the Norma Beach wharf? I've done it a couple times but only on weekends. I know it's a summer camp or something so I've avoided weekdays in summer. The beach north of the wharf seems a lot wilder than anywhere else heading north from Bracketts.
Meadowdale trestle equipment
Meadowdale trestle equipment

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostTue Jan 17, 2023 2:13 pm 
I walked down this morning and was there around 10am - about 2 hours before the high tide (14.4ft). The path was water free. I don't think it would have been under water at high tide. I noticed also there wasn't as much water in the estuary area as what I see in your picture. Maybe the rains added to the height. It will be interesting to watch. I also wondered about walking north of the park. I've done that in the past at low tide. The new stream does look much deeper but it may be lower in the summer during the King Tides. Some pictures from today
Meadowdale Park
Meadowdale Park
Meadowdale Park
Meadowdale Park
Meadowdale Park
Meadowdale Park

Bramble_Scramble
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostWed Jan 18, 2023 11:34 am 
Thanks for the photos, Marta. It must have been a really high tide plus excess rain water the day we went. I'll go again, I'm sure, this spring.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com

marta
furthur
Berry Bagger

furthur
Berry Bagger
PostThu Apr 20, 2023 5:31 pm 
Bramble_Scramble: April low tides allow a wonderful beach walk from Edmonds to Mukilteo. Sunset Bay Camp has never been a problem, probably because it's not open in April. You can walk around the structures or behind them. Of more concern is the rifle-guarded pair of shipwrecks further along. Stay outside the picket lines encircling the wrecks, or if the tide is too high, pop up on the railroad tracks until you pass the property. Not sure what legal grounds the owners have to claim the beach, but not inclined to argue with rifles and barking dogs.

"You're either on the bus or off the bus." Kesey

Bramble_Scramble