Forum Index > Gear Talk > patching nylon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostTue Jan 17, 2023 3:22 pm 
I have a backpack that I like and want to keep on using...but it is developing several wear holes. Does anyone here have experience with heavy duty stick-on nylon patches that stay on? I've used them in the past for a sleeping bag and jacket but they were a bit thin.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
huron

huron
PostTue Jan 17, 2023 4:38 pm 
I've had good luck repairing nylon by cutting out a patch of similar material, glueing it down with shoe-goo or similar adhesive, stitching it around the outside with a wide spaced zig-zag or by hand then covering the stitches with another layer of goo. I found that just using adhesive, the edges peel up. Just stitching, the hole continues to fray and stitches come out. Too many stitches will weaken the fabric and it rips along the stitch holes. My trekking poles have a short length of that super-duty duct tape wrapped on the shaft. That works great on the trail, then I just sew over it once home. 10 year old gaiters make Dr. Frankenstein look like an amateur.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostTue Jan 17, 2023 6:24 pm 
I was hoping to avoid doing all the tedious stitching...but it may happen yet. I will try the goo with a patch and see what happens.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 17, 2023 7:46 pm 
Tenacious Tape works pretty well. You could apply multiple layers if you want something sturdier. Also cleaning the area where the patch is to be applied with isopropyl or denatured alcohol helps improve bonding. As does heating the patch with an iron, hair dryer or heat gun. Also Seattle Fabrics sells heat sealable nylon in both a 4 oz weight and a 60oz / pack cloth weight. The coating on those fabrics is super thick and is made of polyurethane, so it will strongly bond with polyurethane glue (e.g. Gorilla Glue) I've used polyurethane glue to bond webbing onto heat sealable pack cloth while DIY making roll top dry bags without having to buy a heavy duty sewing machine.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Jan 18, 2023 7:13 am 
I can't recommend stitching over a fabric patch that has been bonded with an adhesive such as shoe goo unless you are using your own sewing machine and not one that belongs to your spouse!

Randito, JonnyQuest
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 18, 2023 10:02 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
I can't recommend stitching over a fabric patch that has been bonded with an adhesive such as shoe goo unless you are using your own sewing machine and not one that belongs to your spouse!
If you do that, the salvage move is to buy a new machine for your spouse. You might get in slightly less trouble if you were to buy a heavy duty machine for your projects up front instead, but no guarantee on that.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Jan 19, 2023 8:27 am 
Along those lines I found that pinking shears work great for fiberglass work until your spouse finds out. Then - not so much smile.gif