Forum Index > Trip Reports > Almost Dog. An attempt at Dog Mountain via the Taylor River and Anderson Creek.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSat Jan 21, 2023 10:35 am 
While planning a trip to Morpheus my thoughts drifted to Dog Mountain and a possible route from the Taylor River. After studying Cal topo's "Slope Angle Shading" and Google Maps satellite view, I plotted a couple routes on GAIA. I felt pretty good about a line that closely followed Anderson Creek (on the west side). Although I knew it would require a traverse once I reached 4'000 ft. I chose this route. It worked well and with a few more hours of daylight, and maybe a partner to helped break trail, I'm confident Dog's summit was attainable.
An attempt at Dog Mountain from the Taylor River
An attempt at Dog Mountain from the Taylor River
Parked at the Snoqualmie Lake Trailhead. Hiked along the Taylor River for just over 3 miles. At 0.40 miles pasted the Marten Creek bridge I headed up hill. You can hear Anderson Creek for much of the first 1'000 ft of ascent.
Snoqualmie Lake trail (aka Taylor River trail).
Snoqualmie Lake trail (aka Taylor River trail).
Marten Creek Bridge
Marten Creek Bridge
time to leave the trail!
time to leave the trail!
Came across this piece of logging memorabilia relatively low.
Logging relics
Logging relics
This area is reminiscent of many places in the Middle Fork drainage.
looks familiar
looks familiar
I put on the snowshoes at 3'500 ft.
While climbing I noticed I was being watched by a Pine Marten. It was larger than the others I've seen.
Pine Marten
Pine Marten
I started my traverse near 4'000 ft. There were sections where I could have been a bit lower, but not too much.
I wasn't sure about my route at this point. I considered making my way to the small pond (Dog Pond?) below the summit of Dog Mountain. I didn't really like the steep traveling it would take for the final part of the traverse, so I headed (up) for the ridge instead. There was/is a nasty rain crust below a foot of fresh snow. I switched to micro spikes but would have been happier in crampons. Before long I was on top of the ridge and at my highpoint, 5'000.
can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.....
Dog summit from near my highpoint
Dog summit from near my highpoint
View across Lenox Creek drainage. Possibly, Bare Mountain and Canoe, distant left to center-left?
View across Lenox Creek drainage. Possibly, Bare Mountain and Canoe, distant left to center-left?
Almost Morpheus
Almost Morpheus
I was hoping for a better look at the final 300 of elevation gain to Dog's summit from there but it was treed, and I was already past my turn around point (and wishing I'd changed the batteries in my headlamp). Traveling back down went smoothly. I did downclimb a few short sections that were a bit exposed. Turned on the headlamp with two miles to go back to the car. Batteries just held on :-)
tuckered out
tuckered out
Eleven Miles 3'700 elevation gain +/- 10 1/2 hours. Snowshoes Micro Spikes (Crampons would have been useful) Axe (longer better than shorter) Mountaineering Boots Cheers, B!

Fedor, KascadeFlat, ALW Hiker, John Mac, RichP, awilsondc, Bramble_Scramble, GaliWalker, fourteen410, zimmertr, mosey, Tom
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Jan 21, 2023 11:32 am 
Awesome!! I've never seen a pine marten before! I had no idea they lived around here.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Jan 21, 2023 1:35 pm 
Now I Fly wrote:
haha I know this feeling well. Nice work and love your decision-making to save the summit for another day. ~z

Now I Fly
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Jan 21, 2023 2:57 pm 
It was much easier with climbing in July. I pushed the up button only 150 ft past the Marten Creek bridge. At ~4,200 ft there is an old miner's trail to be found. https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/tripreport-2000070601

Redwic, zimmertr, Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSat Jan 21, 2023 3:36 pm 
Wow Mike! That is a fascinating report! I love that you included the history of this area! Just great! Since it was all new to me, I had my eye on Anderson Lake as a fall-back plan for my day. And indeed, I'm sure I was temporarily on the trail you referred to (or at least an old trail) as I gained elevation before starting my traverse! Thank you for sharing this information! Cheers, B!

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSat Jan 21, 2023 3:46 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Awesome!! I've never seen a pine marten before! I had no idea they lived around here.
If you're lucky you might spot one at Mailbox hunting Snowshoe Hare! I snagged a fun video of that, just below the box! The Hare and the Marten encircled me, using both sides of the ridge, as I hiked down the trail! I never did see the outcome. Very cool! :-)

RichP

RichP
PostSat Jan 21, 2023 6:57 pm 
If you try this again, let me know. I missed Morpheus due to timing out and have wanted to return. Probably a summer trip for me though.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Jan 21, 2023 8:07 pm 
RichP wrote:
If you try this again, let me know. I missed Morpheus due to timing out and have wanted to return. Probably a summer trip for me though.
You can access Morpheus via the historic Anderson Pass miner’s route to the Taylor River. That was my approach. However I don’t know the current condition of the roads that I used. https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/tripreport-2002101200

RichP, Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSat Jan 21, 2023 9:11 pm 
RichP wrote:
I missed Morpheus due to timing out and have wanted to return. Probably a summer trip for me though.
The Dream Lake Trifecta! We need to make that happen! :-)

RichP
timberghost

timberghost
PostSun Jan 22, 2023 7:35 am 
Great effort

Now I Fly
Type E

Type E
PostSun Jan 22, 2023 10:17 am 
There is/was a trail to Anderson lake just past marten creek and the traverses to Anderson lake .

Please follow me at: http://alpinelakesaficionado.blogspot.com/

Now I Fly
ALW Hiker
lakebagger

ALW Hiker
lakebagger
PostSun Jan 22, 2023 3:04 pm 
Great report, thanks! I do like the Lennox Creek Trail on the north side of Dog Mountain, but this route saves that horrible 3+ hour drive up and down the North Fork Road.

Redwic, Now I Fly
ALW Hiker
lakebagger

ALW Hiker
lakebagger
PostSun Jan 22, 2023 3:14 pm 
Type E wrote:
There is/was a trail to Anderson lake just past marten creek and the traverses to Anderson lake .
I've heard of this old trail - it's mentioned in my Alpine Lakes Wilderness guide (Barnes & Barnes). Have you been on it? I wonder how close it is to Now I Fly's route above. Based on your info and Mike's above, it sounds like it's on the very broad spur ridge close to Marten Creek. It would seem to be a more direct way to Anderson Lake (vs. North Fork), and I can imagine bits of the trail hanging on since most of that area is heavily forested.

Type E

Type E
PostSun Jan 22, 2023 3:29 pm 
My memories are abit faded but remember it easy to follow and quite easy to Anderson lake . I’ll dig up a route map but here is what I remember https://alpinelakesaficionado.blogspot.com/2010/08/anderson-lake-42610.html?m=1

Please follow me at: http://alpinelakesaficionado.blogspot.com/

ALW Hiker, Now I Fly
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Jan 22, 2023 10:20 pm 
Here are two "guesses" from old maps about where that old trail went. I hope to find and track it someday.
1925 Middle Fork map
1925 Middle Fork map
1953 Sportsmans Guide
1953 Sportsmans Guide
Here is an 1957 aerial of that route shortly after it was logged and wiped out the lower part of the trail
1957 aerial photo
1957 aerial photo

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

RichP, Now I Fly, ALW Hiker, Bramble_Scramble