Forum Index > Trail Talk > Is there a limit to how many dogs you can walk off leash in unincorporated Snohomish County?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostSun Jan 22, 2023 11:08 pm 
I was attacked by a dog while delivering a year ago. It was traumatizing. Besides that the worst situation I ran into was a free roaming dog on the Preston powerline access route. We were trying to get back to the car and it would not move. Snarling and barking and being generally aggressive. We yelled and screamed trying to get the home owners attention but no luck. Tried throwing bits of cliff bars into its yard but as soon as it ran to eat it ran back. We ended up beating through brush quietly on the south edge of the power line to get around. My friend bought a gun not long after due to the situation.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jan 22, 2023 11:50 pm 
HALT 91427 Dog Repellent, Red https://a.co/d/bBe5WIl

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Jan 23, 2023 7:52 am 
I'm surprised all the anti gun use advocates on here haven't spoken up on here for just using bear spray, air horns, one of the high freq whistles. Surely the air horn or whistle would be less damaging if they were at all concerned about the dog or a pissed off dog owner.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jan 23, 2023 12:56 pm 
I put out some bird seed this morning and not long after heard dogs barking nearby. Looked out to see the neighbors two dogs heading up my driveway , so grabbed my 9mm and fired off a round, scaring them off. If it's not bad enough now having close neighbors and with dogs running loose, he has lied to me twice as to having any dogs at all. Not sure why, maybe doesn't want anyone to know because insurance companies charge more for insurance when one has dogs. Pretty hard to not know, they bark all the time and run freely. People are annoying.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
JimmyBob

JimmyBob
PostWed Jan 25, 2023 5:46 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I put out some bird seed this morning and not long after heard dogs barking nearby. Looked out to see the neighbors two dogs heading up my driveway , so grabbed my 9mm and fired off a round, scaring them off. If it's not bad enough now having close neighbors and with dogs running loose, he has lied to me twice as to having any dogs at all. Not sure why, maybe doesn't want anyone to know because insurance companies charge more for insurance when one has dogs. Pretty hard to not know, they bark all the time and run freely. People are annoying.
That is crazy, of you.

Gil
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jan 26, 2023 12:02 am 
JimmyBob wrote:
That is crazy, of you.
Not at all, up here in the deep, dark woods, we have no neighbors (except for the one) in any other direction for miles, so target practice is a common occurrence and expected, no one or any animal was in harms way, but thanks for your response, I get your concern if I lived in a populated area.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Mountainpines
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jan 26, 2023 2:27 pm 
Now we have a skunk hanging around, first one I have seen up here above Priest lake. Maybe it will meet up with the neighbors dogs? I either need to stop feeding the birds or find an alternate way that won't attract varmints. My Mom would feed them everyday and previously I never have until she got me started doing it because she was basically chair bound the last year or so of her life. So it goes.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 5:39 pm 
There was a post on WHC a few weeks ago along the lines of this one except she took it a bit further and was quite explicit about the dog sniffing at her nether regions. I wish I could find it as it was both shocking and funny. She definitely was getting her knickers in a twist and the thread was quickly shut down, presumably as there are way too many off leash rants. 😴

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 6:17 pm 
Well maybe the dog liked the smell and continued to linger or maybe he growled. Point is there's lovers, haters and in between. Usually haters voice their displeasure the most.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 10:54 pm 
There are many people that a very fearful of dogs. Fear isn't something you can reason with, but it is how people feel. Most people that were bitten, or worse mauled as a child are going to be very uncomfortable having an unleashed dog come bounding up to them, no matter how friendly their human thinks they are. I love dogs and do my best to respect those that don't by keeping my furry beast under control.

mosey, Mountainpines
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Mar 08, 2023 6:40 am 
Good for you.

vogtski

vogtski
PostMon Mar 13, 2023 8:07 am 
What can you do when offending dogs are apparently part of the trail system? https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2023-02-25.4072691237

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Mar 13, 2023 8:35 am 
Wow, I guess that is one reason they do not allow dogs on groomed trails from snoparks.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Mar 13, 2023 10:49 am 
The dog owner in that WTA report would certainly get a lot of yes vote in Reddit's AITA forum. Those that don't appreciate uncontrolled canines coming too close for comfort there is this https://www.chewy.com/halt-dog-repellent-spray-15-oz-bottle/dp/168708 The spray is also used by cyclists is rural areas where it isn't uncommon for farm/ranch dogs to be "at large" to defend their territory, which in their dog brains doesn't end at at the end of the driveway.

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostMon Mar 13, 2023 11:53 pm 
Do you like to use pepper spray on yourself? That’s strange. Blame the owner, not the dog for jumping. Any dog showing an aggressive behavior shouldn’t be taken on trails anyway.