Forum Index > Trip Reports > Monahan Mt: 01/22/23
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Jan 22, 2023 8:39 pm 
Headed up to the second viewpoint knob this afternoon. The plan was to follow the NW ridge to the summit, but my snowshoe broke a quarter mile after leaving the car. Duct tape held things together for another three quarters of a mile until I had to repair again. At that point, I decided that breaking trail solo without a functional snowshoe wasn't a great idea and called it a day. Still some great views up there and the pow was amazing. When I got home, I discovered that the bolts on my other snowshoe were failing as well. RIP to my 6 year old Lightning Ascents. Looks like MSR offers repairs but they can take up to 12 weeks. By then it will balsamroot and lupine season smile.gif

Roly Poly, jaysway, Now I Fly, awilsondc  KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Jan 22, 2023 10:24 pm 
In spite of being surrounded by power lines, logging roads and clearcuts, the final part of Monahan is pretty nice. I really enjoyed snowshoeing up this years ago when nothing else was safe.

KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostSun Jan 22, 2023 10:33 pm 
RIP to your snowshoes. It looks like they have lived a good long life. smile.gif

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

Now I Fly
RichP

RichP
PostMon Jan 23, 2023 9:43 am 
If you mean rivets, you can get a rivet gun pretty cheap and fix them yourself. I have a pair of LA and the rivets are falling out too. I went back to the hard plastic MSR snowshoes which I like better, especially on steep, crusty terrain as they seem to have better traction. I found the LA pretty good for flotation in deep powder over gentle terrain, but overall didn't like them as much.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Jan 23, 2023 10:00 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
When I got home, I discovered that the bolts on my other snowshoe were failing as well.
Same. Not a "rivet" issue. The nuts & bolts fell out of my snowshoes as well. I repaired it with zipties. That repair was working welI & I lived with it for a couple of winters.Then I snapped the teeth off on one of the crampons. I sent them in for repairs, and, yes, it took forever to get them back. A few months later, I received the old frames, but everything else on the frames were rebuilt.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Jan 24, 2023 12:03 am 
RichP wrote:
you can get a rivet gun pretty cheap and fix them yourself
Challenge accepted 🙂 I purchased a manual rivet gun and some 3/16" rivets with a 1/8" grip. The MSR rivet shafts were 1/4" but I couldn't find anything shorter than 1/8" at the hardware store. I wanted steel, but sizes were limited so I went with aluminum. Turns out that's what the MSR ones are made of, so no surprise that six of them failed this weekend. I've never worked with rivets before and the gun was cheap junk, so the results were very DIY quality. Replaced a few on this shoe:
but I'm concerned about how much the rivets protrude, as they make contact with the deck underneath:
So I added a couple of washers for the next one:
But then the mandrel broke off completely (rivet is still holding on though):
Everything seems to be solid for now, but I'm not sure if I trust my repairs long term. One thing is for sure though: that cheap rivet gun is going back to the hardware store.

RichardJ, Opus, RichP
jstern

jstern
PostTue Jan 24, 2023 4:47 pm 
I had a similar situation with one of the rivets on my snowshoes, but it was one of the front ones.
Missing Rivet
Missing Rivet
When I contacted MSR, they indicated that the repair process was 10-12 weeks, but if I still wanted to use them, I could go to the hardware store and get a bolt, washer and locknut and install it where the missing rivet is, with the top of the bolt facing up towards the bottom of your shoe. So, I did that, but because the bottom of the bolt doesn't touch the deck, I installed like this.
Top View
Top View
Bottom View
Bottom View
I used flat washers on both top and bottom, and only used the lock washer on the bottom. I also put a bit of Loctite on the bolt/nut to help it stay put. So far, so good. I've put 30 - 40 miles on them with no problems. For the area on the back of the binding, where the bolt could come in contact with the snowshoe deck, you could put it in as MSR suggests, by putting the top of the bolt facing up, so the pan head comes in contact with the deck, which might not wear too much at the deck.

"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen

fourteen410
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Jan 24, 2023 8:16 pm 
^ great suggestion. I might look into that if the rivet protrusion becomes a problem. The shoes just need to hang in there for a few more months so I can ship them off for repairs in the summer.