Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Find a place in your heart to pick up litter!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 5:16 am 
Litter makes this place look like we don't care! As the years go by seeing litter reminds me to be that person to reach down and do the right thing. Either in the pocket, in the pack or bike bag. Carry ziplocks on hikes for the green chocolate bags. You see it, own it then it's gone, no regrets! It's a free boost to your morale! Sleep better! What others see is contagious, start a new trend. Be an "influencer." hmmm.gif agree.gif lol.gif

seawallrunner, gb, kiliki, dave allyn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sams rapids

sams rapids
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 8:13 am 
When I was little, my grandfather, Frank McCoskrie, said "always pick up broken glass". and i always have. My friend Paul Elliott, picks up every bit of littering for several blocks in all directions from his eastlake home. He also picks up anything he sees elsewhere. My friend, Brian, the elected mayor of Queets River, has made it his business to never leave behind trash, firepits, and messy campsites. He makes it a better place. I am proud to have these folks as role models, i copy them and hope i inspire others when they see me picking up trash. Pick something up today, it is easy and does make your day brighter. thanks for what you do. Gordy

Ski
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostTue Dec 13, 2022 12:39 pm 
Although I've long been aware of the Pogo (Walt Kelly) quote, "We have met the enemy and he is us", I just yesterday learned that the cartoon strip that contained it was a tribute to 1971 Earth Day. Apropos:
Thanks for the reminder, it is another way to pay back to our magnificent little blue marble.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler

Alpine Pedestrian
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Dec 15, 2022 7:30 am 
Enemy lies within.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Dec 16, 2022 8:44 am 
Brucester...excellent. We pick up a lot of trash on our walks and I feel good about doing so. I do not pick up dog excrement bags or lost face masks, but there's a lot of other stuff that blows around and disfigures the landscape especially beer cans and chips bags that thoughtless people discard in places they shouldn't. I agree, let's all chip in.... up.gif up.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Waterman

Waterman
PostThu Jan 05, 2023 2:06 pm 
If you really like cool places to do good I recommend Cape Scott Provencal Park. North end of Vancouver Island. 6 hour drive north from Sidney BC. A non profit has staged 6X6X6 bags along the beaches for those inclined towards this activity. A good place to head towards during fire season.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
RichP

RichP
PostThu Jan 05, 2023 4:08 pm 
I was out on Lake Cavanaugh Rd yesterday north of Oso. You'd need a big ole truck to haul the garbage out of there. What the heck are people thinking?

camut

camut
PostFri Jan 06, 2023 7:45 am 
That road has been a dumping ground for a long time. I've even seen dead animals dumped along there.

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Jan 18, 2023 2:11 pm 
Litter bothers me A LOT and I find I stew about it less when I just pick it up. I take an extra dog poop bag on walks around my neighborhood nowadays. Even just picking up little bit of Nerf gun bullets, receipts that blew out of someone's pocket, etc makes me feel better. It was pretty striking how after Xmas, everyone's garbage was bursting and lids weren't fully closed, which meant the crows and critters got in, which meant litter...I don't understand how people don't think of these things. Litter among our state's roads was absolutely terrible during Covid. And all over--it didn't matter where I was in the state. It's encouraging that it's looking better. Not great, but better. I do see full clean up bags piled up on highways awaiting pick up.

Shred
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Jan 18, 2023 8:47 pm 
On a note about the liter during covid and even still. We used to pick up liter along highway 2 by Sky. The governor required that anyone participating in this must have proof of vaccination. That venture thus came to an end.

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Jan 25, 2023 10:46 pm 
Sky Hiker wrote:
On a note about the liter during covid and even still. We used to pick up liter along highway 2 by Sky. The governor required that anyone participating in this must have proof of vaccination. That venture thus came to an end.
How could they possibly check or enforce that? I have a very hard time imagining there would be any consequences for an unvaxxed person who was out picking up litter on the highway right now. Or you could just pick up litter in some other location that isn't part of a state right of way.

Kascadia
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSat Jan 28, 2023 8:50 am 

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Jan 28, 2023 1:00 pm 
Sky Hiker wrote:
Sure, if you were working under an agency, who at the time all were bound to COVID protocolls. Individual citizens working under their own agency wouldn't have been required. But that was then, this is now. Carry on, and thank you. up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Damian, Kascadia
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Jan 28, 2023 5:27 pm 
My hobby is patrolling the Lake Washington Ship Canal for trash, floating, on the bottom, or the shore. These pics represent my 2022 efforts, maybe one is from late 2021. I focus on the Arboretum and Union Bay natural area, Gasworks park, and Fremont canal park. While I am always prepared to pick up trash, with bag and grabber, most of my haul has been on canoe trips specifically to harvest trash.

Now I Fly, kiliki, Anne Elk, Kascadia, RichP
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Mar 14, 2023 7:37 pm 
Today, a major haul from the Samammish river. I used the Tom Sawyer “it ain’t every day you get to whitewash a fence” trick to get some kayaking friends to get the job half done before I even started. I spent 3.5 hours brush bashing in a canoe, playing a game of “let’s see how far I can lean over” trying to reach uncooperative balls. At the end my canoe was full of broken sticks and branches, many crawling with spiders. Thanks, God.

Now I Fly, kiliki, NWtrax, Bramble_Scramble, yukon222, zimmertr, Damian