Forum Index > Trail Talk > Middle Tiger Tree Tip Timber Harvest
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ThursdayHiker

ThursdayHiker
PostSat Jan 28, 2023 6:54 pm 
DNR just auctioned off a 97 acre timber harvest on Middle Tiger Mountain. It is referred to as the "Tree Tip" harvest. It is located on the south and west slopes of Middle Tiger and extends up to the peak. I assume that it will be similar to other DNR harvests on Tiger which would be a clearcut with a smattering of retained trees and a few tree islands. I hiked the Middle Tiger trail a few weeks ago and saw several of the larger trees were marked with blue spray paint which indicates they wont be cut. That's nice but they are few and far between. This harvest will open up a nice view toward Mt Rainier. I suspect the hike will become more popular after the harvest just like West Tiger did. https://www.dnr.wa.gov/publications/psl_ts_jan23_treetip_packet.pdf Map on page 116 summarizes the situation best

Fedor, fourteen410
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Jan 28, 2023 10:45 pm 
I noticed this a couple weekends ago and almost made a post myself. There is a lot of flagging and a few miles of string hung across trees marking the cut zone.

Flickr | Strava

Fedor
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Jan 28, 2023 11:04 pm 
If that’s like the string you always used to find in streams, here’s the gist. Surveyor’s (there’s lots of different kind of surveyors) wear a counter on their hip. As the string pays out they can stop and read how much they’ve payed out. The string is pretty good at not stretching and unlike those miles of plastic tape, rots away to nothing. Hopefully this will draw out experienced persons to correct me. PS. Is payed out the correct usage?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!

Fedor, zimmertr