Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Seattle school district sues tech giants under state nuisance law
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Jan 08, 2023 8:01 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostSun Jan 08, 2023 12:04 pm 
Ha! That's awesome. And yet they sit kids in front of computers every day, expecting them to magically learn from them. And kept schools closed way into the pandemic when we knew it was damaging and didn't help much to control the spread. I hate social media, but it's not going away, and would rather see these resources go to actually helping kids cope with modern reality.

Slim, Chief Joseph, Anne Elk
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Jan 09, 2023 12:20 am 
Quote:
A new lawsuit filed by Seattle Public Schools against TikTok, YouTube, Facebook, Snap, Instagram, and their parent companies alleges that the social media giants have “successfully exploited the vulnerable brains of youth” for their own profit, using psychological tactics that have led to a mental health crisis in schools.
Wasn't that also being said at one time about video games, and before that, TV? And rock'n'roll? Just sayin'. But I suppose each tech iteration gets better at it. *Edit: Another thing - since when is SPS so flush with loot that they can afford to sue tech giants?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jan 09, 2023 12:27 am 
Socrates was forced to drink Hemlock for “corrupting the young”, Nothing new under the Sun.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Seventy2002, Chief Joseph
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jan 09, 2023 8:29 am 
If they win can I sue Monty Python and Dr Demento?

CS, Anne Elk, moonspots
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Jan 29, 2023 2:15 pm 
They see buckets of money. Nothing more. So they come up with BS to sue over. If they cared really they wouldn't be teaching on Chromebooks all day. Prior to Covid neither of my younger children worked on them for more than an hour a day at school. It's all the districts use now. It's easier of course. Slap on headphones and work quietly. The programs do all the grading instantly. Teacher has far more time now. There are many reasons we homeschool now. Many. But a big one is in our district actual education was not important. The children were not graded anymore. And huh, what a shocker by the time they started grading again - and testing - our district could barely pull 35% passing math. I was told I was had over educated my children - by ensuring they did school daily and actually learned in spring of 2020. By the school district, they told me it wasn't equitable I was doing this, since the other children were not learning. I was told I was racist. I am a blended POC. That didn't sit well. The person who told me this was a white female teacher who was the district union rep on the side. Schools in Wa state are rotting from inside. Heaven forbid you want your child to get an actual education. So now we are free of this all.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.

grannyhiker, Anne Elk
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Jan 30, 2023 1:25 pm 
sarbar wrote:
If they cared really they wouldn't be teaching on Chromebooks all day.
That's what us was had overeducated folks call a red herring. The topic of this thread has nothing whatsoever to do with the use of computers in classrooms, full stop. In fact, it doesn't even have anything to do with classroom instruction. dizzy.gif If one is interested in the actual topic, I highly recommend taking a few minutes to read or listen to the things that Frances Haugen has said. She is a brilliant thinker and very articulate speaker, you will be amazed and horrified. The lawsuits that these companies are currently facing come directly from the testimony she provided to Congress.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jan 30, 2023 2:35 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
That's what us was had overeducated folks call a red herring.
Yeah, that is the first problem - being over educated with no practical use. It actually has everything to do with it. You cannot complain that children are using social media and online apps - then demand they do school on those same devices all day. I am going to hedge a guess you don't have school age children by your comments and say this: Children bully each other through actual school equipment all day long. They do it brazenly and the teachers ignore it. Using computers and tablets all day just allows access constantly to ways to bully other children. There is zero difference between social media sites and schools using the internet. Kids find ways to do stupid things, no matter the time period. Because I am not "over educated" I can actually connect the dots and control my children's access to the internet daily. And not let their minds rot in social media. Or another example that is far better and more up your lane: "OMG! We MUST put Parental Advisory stickers on these darn devil worshiping records!" Every generation has its BS the adults get fluffed up over - the parents can put on their big kid pants and adult - and control the narrative. Or instead it can go to Congress, waste a butt load of tax payer money and whine how the evil corporations should pay for their perceived sins. If a parent sees their child is depressed and anxiety ridden from social media? BLOCK IT. Actually parent! Talk to the child, get them therapy. Homeschool them. Or you can let people act like they deserve money from frivolous lawsuits.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 30, 2023 7:34 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
since when is SPS so flush with loot that they can afford to sue tech giants?
They're saying these tech giants have created behavioral problems in children that cost them money to deal with. Like how Instagram exacerbates body image issues in girls, or how social media generally has warped kids' ideas of what normal and acceptable behavior is. The reason the school system is affected or involved is because we made them responsible for the children.

neek

neek
PostMon Jan 30, 2023 7:51 pm 
Also keep in mind "Keller Rohrback is representing SPS and will be paid attorneys’ fees only if there is a settlement in our favor. No funds are being spent out of the district’s budget," although I'm sure they're putting plenty of time into it which comes at a cost. I applaud SPS for taking the lead here, but agree with sarbar that schools use technology inappropriately and in particular exacerbated the problem during the pandemic year, which I witnessed firsthand. In retrospect we should have homeschooled that year, although then he'd be a year or two ahead which would have caused other problems.

CS

CS
PostMon Jan 30, 2023 11:12 pm 
Quote:
The suit, filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Seattle, seeks “the maximum statutory and civil penalties permitted by law,” making the case that the companies have violated Washington state’s public nuisance law.
I wonder if you could sue all schools in a class action for the stress they caused during mid terms and finals. And all those nightmares years later of showing up for a test late, and who ever came up with 7:15am as being a good time to do anything academic.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Jan 30, 2023 11:26 pm 
CS wrote:
I wonder if you could sue all schools in a class action for the stress they caused during mid terms and finals. And all those nightmares years later of showing up for a test late, and who ever came up with 7:15am as being a good time to do anything academic.
I say this with complete sincerity - I have a reoccurring nightmare every 2-3 months where I am reaching the end of a college semester and realize I didn't go to a single one of my math classes and am struggling with the fact that I'm going to fail it. I'm guessing it's a form of PTSD? Discrete Structures was very difficult....

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jan 31, 2023 10:37 am 
neek wrote:
schools use technology inappropriately and in particular exacerbated the problem during the pandemic year
The pandemic taught us schools are really child care so parents can go to work. When the schools closed, the problem wasn't kids developing social skills, people were complaining "who's going to watch my kids?" What should they have done differently wrt using technology?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jan 31, 2023 10:38 am 
sarbar wrote:
"OMG! We MUST put Parental Advisory stickers on these darn devil worshiping records!"
CS wrote:
I wonder if you could sue all schools in a class action for the stress they caused during mid terms and finals
Good straw men.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Jan 31, 2023 10:43 am 
sarbar wrote:
being over educated with no practical use.
"Overeducated" is always written as one word. It can be hyphenated for clarity, "over-educated." The hyphen is technically less desirable but helps with words like re-election, which otherwise might cause the reader to stumble. Because "educated" begins with a vowel, reasonable folks might disagree about the use of the hyphen in this particular case but writing it as two separate words is clearly wrong. Think of it like this. If you write, "the big, red ball," big and red are two different adjectives that describe the ball. The big ball... The red ball... Those work fine. But if you write, "the overeducated person," there is only one adjective. Dividing them up, as I did in the previous paragraph, helps us figure out how to do this right. "The educated person" works fine grammatically, but "the over person" doesn't make any sense. That is because "over" functions as a prefix to "educated" rather than as a discrete adjective that can stand on its own.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

Kim Brown  Anne Elk