Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Open AI & ChatGPT
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Feb 03, 2023 1:25 pm 
is going to make the human race even more dumber'er, dumber'est, a bunch of dummies! Ug...

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostFri Feb 03, 2023 2:02 pm 
> Write a paragraph on how AI will make the human race even more dumber'er AI has the potential to make the human race even more dumber. With AI taking on more of the mundane tasks, humans may become increasingly reliant on the technology, leading to a lack of critical thinking and problem-solving skills. As AI continues to advance, it's possible that humans will become even more reliant on the technology and struggle to find solutions to complex problems without it. AI also has the potential to create a "dumbing down" of the population as more people become dependent on the technology. AI could also serve to replace many jobs, leading to a lack of economic opportunities and further marginalizing large populations of people. The result is an ever-increasing reliance on technology and a subsequent decrease in critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Bootpathguy
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Feb 03, 2023 3:24 pm 
Predicting how the discussion will go....

Flickr | Strava

Bootpathguy
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Feb 03, 2023 5:14 pm 
in the year 2525 by zager and evans

Chief Joseph, graywolf
graywolf

graywolf
PostFri Feb 03, 2023 6:55 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
in the year 2525 by zager and evans
Nailed it!

The only easy day was yesterday...
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostFri Feb 03, 2023 7:10 pm 
If anything, I hope that it will make humans better at asking questions.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Feb 03, 2023 10:23 pm 
neek wrote:
AI could also serve to replace many jobs, leading to a lack of economic opportunities and further marginalizing large populations of people.
AI is already writing complex code. For example. AI will ( if not already) create detailed architectural drawings for my a new home including all the structural engineering. AI will do your taxes. Accounts. Gone! Architects. Gone! Code writers. Gone! I can have AI design my new business logo with custom script & art work Graphic Designers. Gone! Web developers. Gone! If I were still raising children, I'd talk them out of college and into trade school. AI can't swing & hammer, connect steel, pull electrical wire, install pipe etc... These will be the highest paying jobs in the not too distant future Another thing I'd like to see is AI as a prosecuting attorney & a defense attorney arguing the same murder case

Anne Elk
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 03, 2023 11:00 pm 
ChatGPT can't write novel code. It can only synthesize and regurgitate what other developers have done, according to its training. To get it to do something outside the box you have to tell it how to connect pieces it "knows" how to generate. To be fair a lot of software developers are like that too.

Randito
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Feb 04, 2023 11:05 am 
It's going to make the human race less creative. Dumber'er. Probably the most dummer'est generation heading our way "give it an inventory of what's in your refrigerator and it can produce more than a dozen recipes from those contents. The list is endless"

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Feb 04, 2023 11:27 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
It's going to make the human race less creative. Dumber'er.
That's what Socrates said about writing.

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostSat Feb 04, 2023 12:28 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Bootpathguy wrote:
It's going to make the human race less creative. Dumber'er.
That's what Socrates said about writing.
Source?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Feb 04, 2023 1:27 pm 
FiveNines wrote:
Source?
"... for this discovery of yours will create forgetfulness in the learners' souls, because they will not use their memories; they will trust to the external written characters and not remember of themselves. The specific which you have discovered is an aid not to memory, but to reminiscence, and you give your disciples not truth, but only the semblance of truth; they will be hearers of many things and will have learned nothing; they will appear to be omniscient and will generally know nothing; they will be tiresome company, having the show of wisdom without the reality." https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/literally-psyched/on-writing-memory-and-forgetting-socrates-and-hemingway-take-on-zeigarnik/

CS
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostSat Feb 04, 2023 4:17 pm 
Socrates wrote in Scientific American, too?!? I thought he was just that old dead dude who hung out with Bill and Ted in the phone booth. But all kidding aside, the passage quoted above, attributed to Socrates, comes from The Phaedrus, a dialogue written by Plato. In Plato's dialogue, estimated to be written roughly 30 years after the death of Socrates, Plato recreates Socrates as an idealized character in order to propel an argument. A common literary technique of the time. But Plato is still the quoted author. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaedrus_(dialogue) Thanks for the quote and link cyclopath. Interesting read even if it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. Still curious if you have any direct attributions to Socrates own words to support your conclusion?

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 9:58 am 
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/google-investing-300m-openai-challenger-224953905.html The two startups share some DNA. Anthropic was formed mostly from a group that broke away from OpenAI after growing disillusioned with strategic and cultural shifts. One former OpenAI employee recently told Fortune that while OpenAI founders Sam Altman and Greg Brockman paid lip service to A.I. safety, “that often seemed like just a fig leaf for business concerns, while actual, legitimate A.I. safety concerns were brushed aside.” Tesla CEO Elon Musk has warned about the dangers of advanced A.I. In December he called ChatGPT “scary good,” adding, “We are not far from dangerously strong AI.” He also tweeted that his confidence in OpenAI’s safety was “not high,” noting that, with help from him, it “started as open-source & non-profit. Neither are still true.”

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 10:08 am 
Remember the name Sam Altman. I bet in 10 years he'll be among the wealthiest on Earth. I can understand your frustration with the rise of AI but as someone that works in the industry I can say with a high level of certainly there is a lot of real value here. I already use ChatGPT to generate boilerplate code for me, return specific API documentation, explain concepts, etc. This is going to completely change the way humans search for and retrieve information. In a few short years the "Google" method of searching, perusing, selecting, and retrying will be antiquated. Humans like instant gratification. And as the language model continues to improve it will only get more accurate. Here is just an example query demonstrating how useful it can be at distilling complex technical questions into simple answers:
You're watching the rise of world changing technology in real time.