Forum Index > Gear Talk > Survey:  Favorite Base Layer
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostWed Jan 16, 2002 10:39 am 
I've migrated from Lifa Midweight to Lifa Lightweight (in the '80s) to Silkweight Capilene ('90s) to Coolmax Alta, which wicks better and dries faster IMO. Backpacker Joe swears by SmartWool, and I love my SmartWool socks so much I might try a SmartWool crew for cold weather. What's your favorite base layer?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bass Laboror

Bass Laboror
PostWed Jan 16, 2002 1:26 pm 
Eh... who cares? Take an extra shirt. The weight is worth it. If it gets wet, change the shirt. Nothing is going to stay dry if you sweat like I do. So I dress as light as possible and bundle up at the rest stops. Cotton definitely is the worst -- sweat just gets soaked up by the stuff. Rather spend time hiking than going to hiking stores to buy hiking gear so I can go hiking and find out the hiking gear I bought wasn't that much better, so I have to go back to the store to buy more hiking gear to see if the new hiking gear is better than the old hiking gear, which means I can't go hiking twice, which means I spent more time supporting Madison Avenue than wandering around in the woods!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Dante

Dante
PostWed Jan 16, 2002 3:44 pm 
I sweat a lot, too, which is why I asked the question in the first place. I've purchased 6 or 8 tops since 1980. By asking other people questions I've learned from their mistakes. As a result, I think I've only made three base-layer purchases in 20 years. So much for Madison Avenue.

PostWed Jan 16, 2002 4:18 pm 
A friend of mine gave me three Coolmax tee shirts that didn't fit him anymore. Been using them for 3 plus years. better than Cap or any of the stuff that came before it. Haven't seen Smartwool, but the Coolmax NEVER wears out. I just love it when somebody mentions the downside of cotton, like they're uttering some new discovery.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jan 16, 2002 6:53 pm 
SmartWool, SmartWool, SmartWool, SmartWool, SmartWool! That said, SmartWool. Try it you'll like it! Thank you very much.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Benjamin

Benjamin
PostWed Jan 16, 2002 7:11 pm 
Backpacker Joe, are you sure that you are not a sales rep. for SmartWool?

polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Jan 16, 2002 7:40 pm 
I carry an extra shirt with me which I think is a good idea. On the other hand, I'm so impressed with my smartwool socks, that if they do make a shirt I'd be really interested in trying it.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jan 16, 2002 7:40 pm 
I could be, should be, would be! But alas, I am not. Good stuff. T shirt (2), crew neck, zip T, beenie, socks (3) gloves If they make a T shirt? If? Here! Smartwool

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Jonathan

Jonathan
PostThu Jan 17, 2002 10:15 am 
Ok I maybe stupid.......the smart wool socks I have are great but....wouldn't they be a bit itchy on your back and other tender parts??? Are the shirts and other stuff not made of wool?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 17, 2002 10:37 am 
You are probably not stupid. The premise everyone makes about wool. Now maybe I am not a good test subject (I love wool) but this stuff is in no way itchy baby! Try it you'll like it. Hey, lets get Mikey, ya. He wont wear them he hates everything. Look, he likes it. Hey Mikey

Downhill

Downhill
PostFri Feb 03, 2023 7:44 pm 
Silk!! Hands down. cool in summer, warm in winter. Wicks better than anything. Dries incredibly fast. And it feels as smooth as, well, silk against your skin. (oh yeah, after a couple of days on a trip, it doesn't stink as bad as 90% of other fabrics, maybe 100%)

PowderPawn
Candidate

PowderPawn
Candidate
PostTue Feb 14, 2023 10:17 pm 
Black thermal, usually some kind of semi-modern fleece fabric. I probably have 10 of them. I have an LL Bean and an EMS that are both 20+ years old and have no signs of failing.