Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Rescue off Columbia Bar
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Feb 04, 2023 7:07 pm 
Last night we were camping at Cape Disappointment State Park where there was a Gale Warning. During the storm we head a Coast Guard helicopter flying low over the waves but could not see much. Turns out some yahoo stole a fair sized boat and headed over the bar and called the Coast Guard. Pretty soon he got sideways to the surf capsized and rolled it a few times. The boat was lost but a young Coast Guard surf diver pulled his ass out of the drink. Earlier he left a dead fish on the porch of the Goonies House in Astoria. Coast Guard let him go but was picked up at a warming center in Seaside. IMO he should be keel hauled under a Battleship.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Feb 04, 2023 8:30 pm 
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/goonies-arrest-coast-guard-1.6737215 You need to watch the several clips. No comment on where at the mouth he was or why imminent distress. Didn’t check fuel gauge before stealing boat? Video too narrow for location context. No commentary from me on extra-judicial punishment.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Feb 04, 2023 8:54 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Last night we were camping at Cape Disappointment State Park where there was a Gale Warning.
I had seen these videos earlier today. The Columbia Bar is famous for violent waves. Many ships have wrecked along here over the years since trade and travel increased in the early 19th century. Often ships have had to wait for days to make the crossing. And that guy picked a gale to make his trip across. Genius... Malachai you so often are in the right place at the right time. You really have a knack for this. haha ~z

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostSat Feb 04, 2023 9:23 pm 
The one and only time I went over the Columbia river bar was salmon fishing with family...I barfed my guts out. " come fishing with us Mike! It'll be fun! "

Chief Joseph
Shred

Shred
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 6:47 pm 
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoOhzF3JEZI/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y= Don’t bother reading the comments though…