Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rocky Creek: 02/05/23
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 8:34 pm 
This trail has received some attention in recent years due to efforts (as well as counterefforts) to revive it. Decided to check it out on this rainy winter day. Despite its name, the trail doesn't spend much time alongside the creek. It gets down to business pretty quickly, heading up and up through an understory of abundant salal.
At one point the trail passes through a grove of lichen. I can't remember the last time I saw this much.
The trail continues up through moss and ferns, passing an interesting tree-spring along the way.
There were plenty of interesting fungi as well.
After 1000 feet, the trail levels out in a lovely old growth forest...
...with lots of blowdown.
After several hundred more feet of elevation gain, the trail arrives at a nice ledge. The scenery here reminded me of Big Hump out on the Duckabush.
There is another ledge 900 feet above, but I called it a day here due to lack of time and enthusiasm for climbing over and under more blowdown. Views are better on a clear day, but moody weather can be fun to photograph too. On our way down, there was a really loud explosion across the valley. Other than that, it was a quiet journey. Stopped by the eponymous creek before heading back to the car for a rainy drive home.

Roly Poly, Skookum Bill, NWtrax, zimmertr, neek, John Mac, Bramble_Scramble  awilsondc, KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message