Forum Index > Trip Reports > Icy waters (Canaan Valley, West Virginia - Feb/5/2023)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Feb 06, 2023 8:18 am 
The mid-Atlantic is having an incredibly mild, low snow winter. I hadn't done a single snowy trip this season so far, so I decided to head over to the Canaan Valley area of West Virginia, in Monongahela National Forest, which is always a sure thing for the white stuff during winter. Sadly, not this year. There was only a trace of snow, rather than the multiple feet I was hoping for. After scratching my head for a bit, I decided to focus on water photography; a recent cold snap of sub-zero (Fahrenheit) temperatures was bound to result in copious ice formations. Score! Douglas Falls
Red Creek, Dolly Sods
Blackwater Falls
Elakala Falls

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

John Mac, Bramble_Scramble, meck, Now I Fly, neek
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Feb 06, 2023 10:44 am 
GaliWalker wrote:
Beautiful photos. I enlarged this one to see, but I can't tell. Are you wearing crampons or microspikes when exploring these icy shorelines. Looks beautiful but rather treacherous in places. And if so, do you still slip occasionally? Or are they bombproof? You do this a lot so I recognize your expertise. ~z

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Feb 06, 2023 11:09 am 
I'm wearing microspikes. I wore them throughout, and they were absolutely mandatory. (And no, I didn't slip.) The final location - Elakala Falls - had a particularly tricky approach and exit: smooth ice, a couple of inches thick, entirely encased slightly down-sloping rocks. (It was a bit like the foreground of photo #11, but the ice was much thicker.) I tested each of my steps to make sure that the microspikes were biting and was extremely careful. Without the 'spikes I would not have even been able to get back out from the glen. There were some other folks there who observed my progress with interest. I made sure to point out my footwear to them as a gentle warning to not try going down without traction.
zephyr wrote:
Or are they bombproof?
The microspikes were pretty good on the ice. They were a bit slippery on the smooth, bare of ice (and also dry) rock slabs at my first location. I took them off for just those parts, because my boots had much better grip there.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Feb 06, 2023 11:50 am 
zephyr wrote:
Beautiful photos. I enlarged this one to see, but I can't tell. Are you wearing crampons or microspikes when exploring these icy shorelines.
Also, if you click on the pic, then on the 'Options' arrow icon, and then on the "Original" size, you should be able to get a larger view.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Feb 06, 2023 11:50 am 
GaliWalker wrote:
I'm wearing microspikes. I wore them throughout, and they were absolutely mandatory. (And no, I didn't slip.)
Thanks for the detail. I should hope you were but I just couldn't quite see them in that photo. Still it takes nerve to run around on ice beside waterfalls. Be careful! wink.gif ~z

GaliWalker
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Feb 06, 2023 11:53 am 
GaliWalker wrote:
Also, if you click on the pic, then on the 'Options' arrow icon, and then on the "Original" size, you should be able to get a larger view.
Aha! I just learned a new trick. haha And yes, now I see them. My microspikes are reddish pink. I see that yours are black and blend in with your boots. ~z