Forum Index > Trail Talk > Is Hiking Ruining the Wilderness Experience?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostTue Feb 07, 2023 1:01 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Seattle_Wayne wrote:
REI said their future is "uncertain".
REI didn't say their future was "uncertain" as if they may go belly up. They said they are facing “increasing uncertainty” that justified the layoffs. I am no REI fanboy, but if REI were to close, there would literally be no brick and mortar stores for me to buy hiking stuff in the Tacoma area other than places like Walmart. REI is all we have down here.
Big 5? Yeah... would be sad if REI Tacoma closed. Unfortunate timing for them to building that building in Bellvueue, I hadn't followed it closely enough to see that they sold it because HQ is mostly working remote. Anyway, not trying to derail the thread, just surprised to see REI struggling when it seems like the outdoor industry is surging from COVID.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 07, 2023 2:20 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
slabbyd wrote:
Need separate thread for how terrible REI is for anything other than mid-level "outdoorsy" clothing brands and water bottles.
Strong disagree. Especially regarding their return policy.
It's really fashionable to complain about REI. Especially because REI also caters to people who are "doing it wrong" like runners and cyclists. But you can always stop and pick up a water filter or ground pad when you need one...

joker, zimmertr
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Feb 07, 2023 2:30 pm 
REI also makes great products. My Magma and Downtime sleeping bags are superb quality. Same with my down jacket and countless other items. Anyway like someone said before this is adjacent to the topic at hand.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 07, 2023 4:15 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Anyway like someone said before this is adjacent to the topic at hand.
The topic at hand was misanthropic and exclusionary, talking about where to buy pants is an improvement. up.gif

NightOwl

NightOwl
PostWed Feb 08, 2023 4:58 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
The topic at hand was misanthropic and exclusionary, talking about where to buy pants is an improvement.
Ever hear of the "tragedy of the commons"? Ever notice that just about everything of high quality in the world is exclusionary? Not sure why anyone would be opposed to exclusion in general, unless they think humans make everything better by sheer quantity, which is demonstrably not the case.

Anne Elk
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Feb 08, 2023 8:19 am 
NightOwl wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
The topic at hand was misanthropic and exclusionary, talking about where to buy pants is an improvement.
Ever hear of the "tragedy of the commons"? Ever notice that just about everything of high quality in the world is exclusionary? Not sure why anyone would be opposed to exclusion in general, unless they think humans make everything better by sheer quantity, which is demonstrably not the case.
So apparently NightOwl doesn't believe in the following precept:
Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Feb 08, 2023 10:42 am 
NightOwl wrote:
Ever hear of the "tragedy of the commons"?
Get real: this thread is about judging people's shorts. Don't act like there's anything moral going on here.

RumiDude  Sculpin
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Feb 08, 2023 1:46 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Get real: this thread is about judging people's shorts. Don't act like there's anything moral going on here.
I had a deep, philosophical post half-written about how the tragedy of the commons is really about extrinsic values, and how everyone thinks their own hiking values are intrinsic while those of others are extrinsic, yada, yada, yada. But when you boil it down, I was just going to make the same point as Cyclopath. rolleyes.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

RumiDude, Cyclopath, zimmertr
Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostWed Feb 08, 2023 10:48 pm 
I got $150 in gift cards to REI from friends for Christmas. I bought some Green Trail maps and some books and REI gave me $20 for spending over $100.

Vesper Peak

Cyclopath, zimmertr