Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gorham Mtn, The Beehive, and Ocean Path loop (Acadia National Park) 10/13/22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lanzscape

lanzscape
PostThu Feb 09, 2023 11:46 am 
I took a trip to Maine last fall and spent a few days in Acadia National Park. Here is a report (mostly just photos) from an easy but beautiful day hike in Acadia that coincided with peak fall color. With some rambling, the total hike was about five miles with approximately 800' elevation gain. I parked my vehicle in the Gorham Mountain trail parking lot just off the main Park Loop Road. I arrived before sunrise in order to photograph sunrise from Boulder Beach and the coastal rocks across the road from the parking area. I am also including the sunrise and early morning photos I took before starting the actual hike. In case anyone is curious, the pre-hike sunrise photos were taken with my camera, while the hike photos are a combination of camera and iPhone 13 photos. The iPhone photos are identified with the notation "(ip)."
Boulder beach pre sunrise
Boulder beach pre sunrise
Sunrise
Sunrise
Sunrise
Sunrise
Sunrise
Sunrise
View north
View north
view north
view north
view south
view south
sunrise
sunrise
north again
north again
north again (ip)
north again (ip)
After enjoying sunrise, I went back to the car, ate breakfast, and then headed up Gorham mountain via the Gorham Mtn. trail and the Cadillac Cliffs side trail.
On the trail to Gorham Mtn. (Cadillac Cliffs side trail) (ip)
On the trail to Gorham Mtn. (Cadillac Cliffs side trail) (ip)
heading up Gorham Mtn. (Cadillac Cliffs)(ip)
heading up Gorham Mtn. (Cadillac Cliffs)(ip)
the "trail" up Gorham Mtn. (Cadillac Cliffs)(ip)
the "trail" up Gorham Mtn. (Cadillac Cliffs)(ip)
After a short and fairly steep half mile, the views up and down the coast, and out to the deep blue Atlantic, began:
trail view heading up looking Northeast toward Great Head (ip)
trail view heading up looking Northeast toward Great Head (ip)
view just off the trail heading up (looking Southeast toward Otter Point) (ip)
view just off the trail heading up (looking Southeast toward Otter Point) (ip)
a couple takes in the scenery on the way up Gorham Mtn. (ip)
a couple takes in the scenery on the way up Gorham Mtn. (ip)
more views on the way up (ip)
approaching the top of Gorham Mtn (ip)
approaching the top of Gorham Mtn (ip)
At the summit. Elevation 525' (ip)
At the summit. Elevation 525' (ip)
summit (ip)
summit (ip)
The "summit" of Gorham was relatively level and open, allowing me to wander around in all directions. Here are photos from the top:
view inland (west) from Gorham Mtn top (ip)
view inland (west) from Gorham Mtn top (ip)
looking southwest (ip)
looking southwest (ip)
view south past Otter Cove (ip)
view south past Otter Cove (ip)
view southwest (ip)
view southwest (ip)
looking south
looking south
south
south
After enjoying the views and relative isolation from my morning on top of Gorham Mtn., I continued north on the trail about a mile toward the very popular area of Acadia known as "The Beehive."
(ip)
(ip)
(ip)
(ip)
(ip)
(ip)
As expected, when I got to The Beehive, I had to share the views with lots of people and a seagull:
Looking down on Sand Beach from The Beehive (ip)
Looking down on Sand Beach from The Beehive (ip)
Seagull enjoying the view (ip)
Seagull enjoying the view (ip)
I left The Beehive and took a short side trail inland to a lake known as "The Bowl."
"The Bowl"
"The Bowl"
From the The Beehive/Bowl area, there is a short, half mile trail that basically straight down to the Park Loop Road and the Ocean Path trail, which leads back to the parking area, allowing completion of the loop.
(ip) =
(ip) = I highly recommend this loop hike if you ever get the opportunity to visit Acadia NP. Just be aware that The Beehive is extremely popular and gets crowded. Also, accessing The Beehive directly from the Park Loop Road involves going up metal rung ladders which can add to both congestion and degree of difficulty. I did not personally do this as I accessed the area from the Gorham Mountain trail. Thank you.

Now I Fly, Pef, rubywrangler, John Mac, Nancyann, Eric Hansen, Waterman, GaliWalker  Songs2, awilsondc, meck  Slim
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSun Feb 12, 2023 7:21 am 
Gorgeous time of the year to be in the northeast. I hiked Cadillac Mtn many years ago and am still hoping to return for some more exploring in that area. Great photos.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Feb 12, 2023 7:56 am 
Another thing that is nice about Acadia hiking is that there are free shuttle buses by LL Bean which allow thru hikes and biking. You can stay at the campgrounds and not need a car. Lobster rolls are yummy.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
lanzscape

lanzscape
PostSun Feb 12, 2023 3:49 pm 
Thank you, Rich. I was unaware of the free shuttle buses, Malachai, but I did stay in the nice Blackwoods (National Park) Campground. Using my National Parks Senior Interagency Pass, the campground was $15 a night, or $60 total for four nights. Advance reservations are a must the time of year of was there (2d week of Oct), and I would assume the same is true most other times of the year the campground is open.

Songs2

Songs2
PostTue Feb 14, 2023 5:20 am 
lanzscape, (Great name!) Thank you posting the TR and gorgeous photos! A good option for reaching the Beehive. I'm fetched by the pinkish sand color of the rocks. It's beautiful and serene (prior to Memorial Day and again in late-ish fall). For those interested in visiting, the Park Loop Road is closed to vehicles (including bicycles) until ca. April 15 each year. (Timed entry for cars during high season.) The first half of April is often quite fine for hiking and pedestrian access to such oceanside features as Sand Beach and Otter Rocks. The free shuttle, Island Explorer, runs through early October. Friends of Acadia, the civilian partner of the Park, has an informative website and a magazine one can read for free. Currently the org is fighting a proposal to put commercial salmon farms in Frenchman Bay. I have seen kayakers in the ocean. It's not a forgiving field.