Forum Index > Trail Talk > Stellar Sea Lion Photo Essay from Dmitry Kokh
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Feb 10, 2023 7:10 am 
Dmitry Kokh, the photographer who shot the polar bear pictures that we saw in December, has a new article - and photo essay - in The Guardian. It features Moneron Island, a remote spot north of Japan, in Russia's Far East. His descriptions, and photos, of underwater swimming and playing with Stellar Sea Lions are memorable. https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2023/feb/10/moneron-island-russia-far-east-photo-essay "Let me set the scene: dozens of sea lions rushing past, blocking the sun, breathing out bubbles and playing with bits of algae. Then they stop, observe, and poke your mask with their muzzles, looking deeply into your eyes. They grab your hand with their flippers, nibbling at everything: your limbs, head, fins and regulator hoses. Although their bites are very noticeable, they never cross into actual pain and aggression. I liken the sea lions to boisterous children who were bored in the class, finally released into the wild and given a new toy. The concept of play is one of the most complex topics in psychology, not only in animals but humans too. Very few animals exhibit playful behaviour, and the ones that do are some of the most organised. We dived with sea lions for several days. Our bodies were covered with bites and scratches, our wetsuits with holes, and our hearts with indelible imprints of love for these animals. The expedition was coming to an end, we had shot lots of material, and I thought we had experienced all that Moneron had to offer. But on our last day – I met her (or him, it’s very difficult to distinguish a female sea lion from a young male)."

Off trail rambler

Slim, Prosit, Bootpathguy, vogtski, rubywrangler, snowmonkey, awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message