Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Apple watch calling 911 on skiers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimmyBob

JimmyBob
PostFri Feb 10, 2023 3:01 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
JimmyBob wrote:
Simple fix. Default setting is disabled, people should have to go and enable it.
Over 100 million people wear Apple Watches. The vast majority of them aren't having this problem. There's no reason to turn off a safety feature they may be relying on for them just because a small number of skiers aren't using their technology responsibly.
I have had mine go off when using a hammer or a drill. It is common. All these features should be disabled by default.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 10, 2023 4:48 pm 
The Garmin version of this feature is disabled by default and people complain about that. "I bought it because it had the help me in an emergency feature and it doesn't work unless I learn where to find everything in their menu system?"

neek

neek
PostFri Feb 10, 2023 5:23 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
The Garmin version of this feature is disabled by default and people complain about that
I turned it on and it triggered when I drove over a pothole! Turned it back off...

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostFri Feb 10, 2023 10:45 pm 
I got an Apple Watch for Christmas. (and I sometimes have the tech savvy of an Archie Bunker…) Mine went off and began calling 911, a couple weeks after I got it. I was vigorously pounding - up and down - on a piece of ice with a shovel. I figured out how to disable that feature. After calling 911 myself and telling them to disregard…..

Cyclopath
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Feb 11, 2023 11:11 am 
My 71 year old mom woke up in the middle of the night to pee. She turned the sink on and gave it a moment for the water to warm up to wash her hands. And then she fell and hit her head, and passed out. Her home flooded. I wish she had had an Apple Watch. Lives have been saved by this feature, last week I heard about a lady having a heart attack who was incapacitated and unable to call for help, but still alive because this feature isn't disabled by default. smile.gif up.gif The genie doesn't usually go back in the bottle. This exists, society needs to come to terms and figure out how to use it.

neek

neek
PostSun Feb 12, 2023 9:28 am 
Don't let a few anecdotes mask what this really is: yet another attempt to exploit public resources for private profit. 911 operators are claiming to be flooded with these calls, unable to do their jobs, in some cases delaying responses to actual emergencies. Apple has claimed the feature has "already contributed to saving several lives," which is about as wishy-washy of a statement as you could make. They made the decision in a vacuum, without consulting the agencies that would be affected. They did lab testing, but any responsible company would have set up their own call center to do real-world testing without unintended impact. Apple markets their watch as a gadget that anyone concerned with personal health or safety can't live without, and any success story, regardless of significance or externalities, is marketing material. It's up to the people (i.e. government) to decide what we need to thrive, and there are so many ways we could easily save thousands of lives per year: improve access to healthcare, decrease vehicle size and speeds, reduce pollution. Notice one thing in common with all of these: industry (e.g. pharma, auto, energy) creating artificial demand, consuming public resources, and getting in the way of solutions. Big Tech, including Apple, is no different. If you like their stuff and are lucky enough to be able to afford it, great, go ahead and buy it, but don't step on everyone else. Worried about Grandma falling? Program in family members as emergency contacts and have them make the call. People should be the ones making critical life-or-death decisions, technology should assist. For sure, the ways in which technology can assist have exploded in recent decades/centuries, and I think it's wonderful. But we're starting to get ahead of ourselves, offloading nuanced human reasoning to machines, and it's not going to lead to the utopia some imagine.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 12, 2023 10:15 am 
neek wrote:
Don't let a few anecdotes mask what this really is: yet another attempt to exploit public resources for private profit
Avoiding some preventable deaths: those oligarchs have their boot on your neck! Would you prefer a loved one to die to stick it to Apple? I don't think it's a very good take to suggest useful tools shouldn't benefit us if they also benefit the company that made them. That's good the world we built works and following this take would eliminate most of modern life including fleece clothing.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostSun Feb 12, 2023 10:52 am 
The dispatch center supervisor quoted in the NYT article offers a rational solution: “Apple needs to put in their own call center if this is a feature they want.”

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Feb 12, 2023 3:22 pm 
I figured out the solution...don't buy Apple products.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Feb 13, 2023 10:20 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I figured out the solution...don't buy Apple products.
I'm guessing you've never bought an Apple product before and this is still happening. Good try though, that was cute.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Feb 13, 2023 10:29 am 
Seventy2002 wrote:
The dispatch center supervisor quoted in the NYT article offers a rational solution: “Apple needs to put in their own call center if this is a feature they want.”
Garmin has their own call center and they're a much smaller company than Apple. Apple has the resources for this.