Forum Index > Gear Talk > Slingfin Splitfin tarp
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Feb 03, 2023 10:39 pm 
Has anyone used the Slingfin Splitfin Tarp made from 10D Nylon 66 Ripstop Sil/Sil 1200 mm fabric? I got the bundle which included the tarp, mesh body canopy with bathtub floor, and detachable vestibule. Weight is 21 oz, which includes 6 stakes. I have been using a 9x7 Dyneema tarp for three years, but wanted some sort of vestibule as additional protection against heavy rain and wind. I used a bivy sack with bug netting for extra protection from the cold and wet and the system generally worked well in moderate bad weather. However, I liked the idea of being able to set the Splitfin mesh body up on its own on dry nights and the bathtub floor is quite roomy for one, plus the whole bundle looks like excellent protection from bad weather when set up with extra guy lines. Set up the tarp and vestibule in just a few minutes this morning.

Gil
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Feb 13, 2023 9:23 am 
So it has a bathtub floor? I used to tarp it a lot, using an automotive sun shade or tyvec for flooring.. Mid summer bug clothing... If there is enuf.room to sit up..or not touch the condensation on side walls at just over a pound..plus flooring that's good... I take it your wt.was just the outer shell no floor? Ahh ok googled it..the 335$..would have the inner tent body.. It's cool to just order the tarp part..add a floor..

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Feb 13, 2023 12:42 pm 
It is nice to be able to just order the tarp, but I liked the vestibule at 1.4 oz. after spending several foggy, rainy nights on the PCT next to Glacier Peak a couple of years ago. I made a homemade vestibule using an emergency rain poncho clothespinned to my Dyneema tarp and it made a (little) difference at the time. I also was attracted to the stand alone bug canopy and the bathtub floor sweetened the deal. That said, it is a few ounces heavier than my Dyneema set up with a practically weightless ground cloth. It will be fun to try it out anyway!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Feb 13, 2023 4:32 pm 
I am done with floorless shelters, brought one last tip the winds, used a dollar store tablecloth for the ground, tucked it in god, even used a few small clips and the mozzies still found their way in. Then there was the storm high up in the north cascades, the wind was trying to launch my floorless tent like a kite, had to hold on tight to the poles to keep it from blowing away. Then there was a downpour and I ended up with a small stream running through my tent. Then there is the aspect of snakes, mice, tics, etc, etc being able to get in. I plan on using my mountain hardware 2p tent body with a tarp over head, weighs about 3 lbs with stakes, but very secure and roomy.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Feb 13, 2023 5:36 pm 
That sounds like a mansion CJ, I wish I could carry that much weight, but I try to avoid carrying over 23 lbs., even on long trips, so I might end up having to forage like the PCT thru hikers do to save on weight.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Feb 13, 2023 6:26 pm 
I'm right there wish you on the weight issue, but I hate being eaten by bugs, for sure 'tis a difficult balance. Plus I like being able to cook, read, hang out inside the tent without being bugged.. yet still be able to see out. I did buy a lighter pack, that saves me almost 3 lbs...then there is the fishing gear...the struggle is real!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Nancyann
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Feb 13, 2023 7:12 pm 
just how much weight do most ladies here carry for a one week trip 20 miles out and back? I don't remember ever carrying less than 40lbs includes food shelter spare clothes sleeping bag.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Feb 13, 2023 7:58 pm 
I did a 63 mile, seven day trip last summer starting at 24 lbs, including 24 oz. of water. My 9x7 Dyneema tarp plus guy lines, stakes and flimsy little polyolefin ground cloth added up to around 10 oz. which was great, except for I always bring an old, but reliable BD bivy sack which weighs 11oz, which brings the total weight pretty close to that of my new Slingfin. Thankfully, we had great weather and I could hide from the bugs in my bivy sack. However, the previous year, I did a 90 mile trip where it rained six days out of eight using the same tarp and it was a challenge to keep myself and my gear dry. That’s why I wanted to try this new tarp setup. The biggest downside I can see is that I need to bring a much lighter bivy sac or none at all.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Feb 13, 2023 10:50 pm 
I have a friendly swede shelter, only weighs 5 oz and you can hang it from a tree branch. It makes a good place to hang out away from bugs. It's easy to set up so also good for a lunch break along the trail or maybe even a nap. https://www.amazon.com/Friendly-Swede-Mosquito-Camping-Included/product-reviews/B016BX3P6A

Anne Elk, Nancyann
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Feb 13, 2023 11:05 pm 
My base weight for 7-14 day long trips is usually about 15lbs. I don't have the most ultralight gear but I feel like everything is premium and I've made very few sacrifices to get there.

Flickr | Strava

Nancyann
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Feb 14, 2023 9:10 am 
Hey chief..why would you ever use a floorless tent in a storm in the north cascades?.... Who's the idiot who planned that hike? Better git out and dig a trench around the tent ... Ahh but what a fine exit trail eh? I did see some very light wt.bivi bags made from tyvec for cheap on some sight... No breathing but could be good for 3/4 coverage

Nancyann
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Feb 14, 2023 6:36 pm 
Ya, really not a fan of being in a tent during a lightning storm from the west with hail and torrential rain followed by a wicked windstorm just after. When Dylan, my Son and I went to that area, we bailed the 2nd morning, before the storm hit. Gnome, you really should consider being a "Storm Chaser"....maybe move to tornado alley? lol.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 16, 2023 9:23 pm 
I don't backpack all that much so I can't really justify spending a large amount on a shelter although I would probably buy a used tarp tent if I could find one at a good price. I used just a tarp on a 2 might trip last year and it was fine, just got bit by a couple of nats while I slept. But it was later in the year and the mozzies were gone.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Feb 17, 2023 11:09 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I am done with floorless shelters
Like many here, I have gone through all the stages of shelter from bomber tent to a small 5x8 tarp to bivy sack. I came to the conclusion that some shelters just aren't pleasant for me and got rid of a lot of extra. Like CJ, I don't like being without sufficient bug protection so the floorless tent only got used in winter snow, when bugs are not an issue. And because I don't winter camp like that any more, I never use my only remaining floorless tent. I also discovered that having a tarp with a separate bug shelter was a real PITA to set up as well as entering/exiting. Besides that, the combo usually came with a weight penalty as compared with a tent. So though I will carry a small tarp when I backpack with my wife, we only use it for a shelter for cooking/eating in the rain. When solo I generally do not take it. In my mind, cowboy camping is waaaay over-rated. YMMV So a shelter with good bug protection is my current default. It simplifies and minimizes everything. Rumi~the simple~Dude

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Slim, Nancyann
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Feb 20, 2023 1:39 pm 
Yes the tarps are great in the early season for 3 weeks before the bugs... Points are good Bout the bugnetting liner or u have to have jacket and pants bug net Most your going to save is 6 or 8oz?..over the 2lb.tents.. I used a tarp for 3 days showery weather..it's harder to stay dry...

Nancyann