Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > campground restrictions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Feb 24, 2023 10:58 am 
paraphrased.. https://thewesternnews.com/news/2023/feb/24/bill-would-limit-state-campground-reservations-80-/ "Libby Republican Rep. Steve Gunderson’s bill to limit reservations at state campgrounds to 80% of capacity." In his opening, Gunderson said one of the problems is Glacier National Park has become popular. It’s so packed with out-of-state visitors, the park is limiting traffic on the famous Going-to-the-Sun Road, and those tourists are spilling onto state lands and taking up reservations at state parks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Feb 24, 2023 11:37 am 
Seems reasonable. 20% for drop in visitors and locals.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Feb 24, 2023 1:12 pm 
Step in the right direction. How about 20% reservation, 80% first come first served? I know, I'm dreaming. It used to be that way.

graywolf
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Feb 24, 2023 8:31 pm 
20% day of seems reasonable. I suspect this result in a long line up at the camp host of folks hoping for a campsite that night. Visiting NPS campsites in the Olympics year before last there seemed like something almost a 1/4 of the sites were empty, despite the ranger saying they were full. We were cycling and so they were able to assign us a "non reservable campsite. This site over half the tent pad was unusable due to roots growing up through the gravel. There was a smooth flat section just big enough for our small two person tent. The ranger said that many people don't show up for their reservations, but the protocol is to not release the site to day of campers.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 24, 2023 11:06 pm 
The answer will have to be build more parks, because they're making more and more people every day.

JimmyBob
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 3:14 pm 
It doesn't sound like the legislators are clear themselves on what they want to pass. I read it as they want to limit reservable sites in State Park Campgrounds to 80% and the remaining 20% open as first-come first-served sites to locals only.

kiliki

kiliki
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 3:31 pm 
They can't do this if they used Land and Water Conservation Fund grant money to acquire or develop the parks. LWCF grants are very common at all municipal levels, though cities/states don't readily acknowledge it. It's possible Montana didn't of course. Idaho had the same kind of proposal but has taken much LWCF money to develop their state park system, so they couldn't. The grant agreements let them charge double fees to out of staters, so Idaho does that.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Mar 02, 2023 12:01 am 
I've always operated on the fact/idea that around 10-20% of car camping sites in major campgrounds fall under common "strong man law".