Forum Index > Gear Talk > Do These Boots Make My Feet Look....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Feb 23, 2023 5:31 pm 
Weird?? confused.gif
I, for one, appreciate a fairly big platform on-trail, as in my Oboz Sawtooth, but these seem a bit excessive. The reviews on these Hokas, however, are mostly positive. Any users? https://www.hoka.com/en/us/hiking/tennine-hike-gore-tex/1113510.html

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Feb 23, 2023 10:13 pm 
I don't think they are very popular among the Hoka faithful. I tried them on in store, didn't really like them, at all.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Feb 23, 2023 10:13 pm 
I love Hoka but those are downright silly lol

Flickr | Strava

Chief Joseph
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Feb 24, 2023 12:04 am 
HOKAs are incredibly comfortable but not very durable in my experience. I've owned four pairs and all have developed holes along the front flex after just a few months of neighborhood walks and light trail use. I suspect their boots are no different - comfort at the expense of durability.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Feb 24, 2023 1:03 am 
As someone who knows the gear, I would have to say you need a bigger boot. Going big is the only way to go these days on a boot!! To be relevant, become heavily involved in the BIG BOOT SCENE and go for a bigger boot.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 24, 2023 12:45 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
HOKAs are incredibly comfortable but not very durable in my experience. I've owned four pairs and all have developed holes along the front flex after just a few months of neighborhood walks and light trail use. I suspect their boots are no different - comfort at the expense of durability.
They don't last as long as other boots, but in my case worth every penny as they are the only boot I can hike in due to sensitive feet. I think it depends on the version you buy as to how durable. The ultra plush Stinson Mid I like doesn't have vibram soles but I just saw they brought back the legendary Tor Ultra Hi so ordered a pair to try. https://www.hoka.com/en/us/all-gender-footwear/tor-ultra-hi/196565181787.html

hbb

hbb
PostFri Feb 24, 2023 4:48 pm 
I like Hoka's trail runners, but the extended heel on that boot is probably something that would drive me crazy.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Feb 24, 2023 5:18 pm 
Imagine how hard it would be to walk down stairs

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostFri Feb 24, 2023 6:33 pm 
Comes with a warning label.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 24, 2023 8:19 pm 
I'd be more worried on precarious terrain.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 24, 2023 8:54 pm 
Back in the day we used to joke about doing the “the first clown shoe” ascent of various peaks. These would be perfect for that no snowshoes needed. breakdance.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Navy salad
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 8:21 am 
Hmmm, I am not sure I could dig that shape! eek.gif In my never ending quest to find the perfect boot, I just donated three pairs of like-new boots to the Wenatchee Goodwill and then bought a couple pairs of new boots from REI. Donated were one pair of Hoka Stinson mid and two pairs of Altra Lone Peak mids. I liked the comfortable feel of the cushy Stinson but the toe box was too narrow and jammed up my toes. The Lone Peak let my toes spread out but they change sizes with every new model and the quality is pure crap. My new boots are a mesh pair and waterproof pair of Topo Athletic Trailventure2. They have a foot shape like Altra but a much higher build quality. In fact, I think Topo is going to eat Altra’s lunch if they haven’t already. I have no sympathy for Altra, they did it to themselves. I got both mesh and waterproof Topo’s. With mesh you can go blasting through streams and they will be dry an hour later. However, if you hike in a burn with powdery dust (like the Entiat) they will fill up with dirt. The waterproof pair will not, but will make your feet sweat more.

huron

huron
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 9:05 am 
A very old concept. Circa 1976, mullet shaped things of all sorts were popular. Spoilers on the trunks of cars were big. I had Hexcel split-tail skis (which were awesome for throwing up a rooster tail) and a buddy wore these Addidas shoes. It was supposed to stabilize your heel strike.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 10:27 am 
Seventy2002 wrote:
Comes with a warning label.
I would never drive in my bike shoes, ski boots, or climbing shoes. This really isn't a big deal.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 10:29 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
They make a lot of different shoes and boots, some are much more durable than others due to the way they're constructed. My Hokas have lasted as long as my New Balance and Merrell trail shoes