Forum Index > Gear Talk > Do These Boots Make My Feet Look....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 4:49 pm 
^ The pairs I've owned have all been trail runners, which aside from hiking boots, should be the most durable of the brand. For the cost, I expect them to last longer, especially when I've only used them for walks around town. I've admittedly been curious about their boots, but have been reluctant for reasons above. I keep buying the shoes because they are so comfortable. Tom, if you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by sensitive feet? I've been dealing with plantar fasciitis since last summer so I've been noodling about the Hoka boots. Pics of recent pairs starting to tear in the usual spot:

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 4:57 pm 
I have some weird neuropathy that manifests if stand for very long and/or don't have cushioning. I suspect from high arches but in any case my daily footwear is pretty much crocs, and no socks. I haven't worn anything else for years, other than when I hike of course. I can't even wear newer crocs, seems in the last 5-10 years since I got my first pair they changed the material which is firmer, and my feet just light up. The Hoka have been a lifesaver for hiking, especially the ultra plush models. I can hike all day in them with no issues. If you have sensitive feet I would highly recommend trying a pair of the Tor Ultra, my feet so far seem to love them and they look like they will last. Nice thing about Hoka is they offer free shipping both ways if it doesn't work out.

Cyclopath, fourteen410
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 5:14 pm 
Bummer, but glad you've found something that works. I'll take another look at the Hoka boots. Do they hold up well on rocky/uneven terrain?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 5:18 pm 
One ski buddy broke his ankle while wearing Hoka OneOnes -- the thick sole resulted in him rolling his ankle on some uneven terrain. IME: Hokas are well suited to relatively smooth trails, but when it gets rockies and more uneven you need to move more carefully to not tumble off the high platform.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 5:40 pm 
In terms of holding up, Hoka aren't known for durability as you have pointed out. My first pair of Stinson Mids are on their last legs and certainly didn't last long as previous boots, but I didn't care, it was hike in them or stay home. I prefer cushioning over a stiffer sole, so on uneven terrain I'm relying more on poles than boots. Some of the models like the Kaha I believe have stiffer soles, but if you look at the pictures you can see none of them are particularly rugged hiking boots.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 6:05 pm 
Randito wrote:
One ski buddy broke his ankle while wearing Hoka OneOnes -- the thick sole resulted in him rolling his ankle on some uneven terrain. IME: Hokas are well suited to relatively smooth trails, but when it gets rockies and more uneven you need to move more carefully to not tumble off the high platform.
I'm prone to rolling my ankles due to high arches and never had a problem with my Hokas, but it probably depends on the model, I've tried quite a few and no two are quite the same. I find the cushioning actually helps prevent rolling my ankle, combined with minimal drop and neutral stability, but everyone is different. The Stinson Mids may look like they are really high but the rocker design also helps make it less prone to rolling. I've done some pretty rugged hiking with my Stinsons, and my only major concern off trail besides durability is the lack of Vibram soles. While Vibram may be overrated, I'll take it over no branding. Some pics of my Stinsons and Tor Ultras here: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8036834

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 6:27 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I would never drive in my bike shoes, ski boots, or climbing shoes.
Couple years ago in Crested Butte CO I sat on a bench and watched a young lady parallel park her SUV across the street. It seemed to take her forever to make each move, and when she finally opened the door she looked apprehensive as she began the fairly high step down to the pavement. She was wearing roller blades.

hikerbiker, zimmertr  Cyclopath
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 11:23 am 
I've been a Hoka fan for a while. I have a Morton's neuroma, and the plush sole gives me pain free hiking. I have tried Altras- and while they allow my toes to spread out, they do wear out quickly, as others have pointed out. I have had older version of the Tor, a few pairs of Speedgoats, and the Kaha and now the newest Kaha. It's sole is super grippy.

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 11:43 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
The pairs I've owned have all been trail runners, which aside from hiking boots, should be the most durable of the brand. For the cost, I expect them to last longer, especially when I've only used them for walks around town.
Tom wrote:
In terms of holding up, Hoka aren't known for durability as you have pointed out
Are you two able to give the rest of us an idea what this means? I get about 300 to 350 miles out of a pair of Hoka Bondi 7. I get about 300 miles from a pair of New Balance (840v4) so I consider this par for the course. My Bondis don't develop holes like in the photos above, they just stop having enough cushion for my tendon.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 11:45 am 
texasbb wrote:
Couple years ago in Crested Butte CO I sat on a bench and watched a young lady parallel park her SUV across the street. It seemed to take her forever to make each move, and when she finally opened the door she looked apprehensive as she began the fairly high step down to the pavement. She was wearing roller blades.
What's wrong with people??!?

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 7:12 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Or navigate stairs?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 10:19 am 
Seventy2002 wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
Or navigate stairs?
Bike shoes are not appropriate for stairs. I can't remember ever trying in my ski boots or climbing shoes and there's no reason. If I was only able to own one pair of shoes, this would be a problem. It's fine for some things to have one specific purpose. My car can't make a latte and you can't wear sexy lingerie ice climbing either. If these boots make you more comfortable when you hike, you'll have no problem wearing gym shoes to do the stair master. I don't know why this is a difficult concept.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 12:44 pm 
Ski boots on stairs are a factor life at resorts, bathrooms are either upstairs or downstairs depending on the resort. When there are large gondolas (Crystal, Snowbird, Mammoth, Jackson hole, and Europe) it sounds like a cattle stampede when skiers get off. This is frequently to the accompaniment of Moos and Baas.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 3:58 pm 
I've heard some say it's tradition to climb your 50th Bulger naked.

Flickr | Strava

catsp
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Feb 27, 2023 5:22 pm 
Especially if it is Hard Mox or Middle Index hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn