Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hidden Lake Lookout
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
wisedamian22

wisedamian22
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 6:20 pm 
Hey guys. Does anyone have any information on the current winter route conditions to Hidden Lake Lookout? (As in, has anyone been up for an overnighter recently) I see that the current weather and avalanche conditions look pretty sketch for the next few days but was wondering if anyone has been up there this year? How sketchy is the cornice at the traverse section? I'll be flying in from Vermont on Thursday. Weather predictions look pretty good for a hike up on Friday (if avalanche conditions agree)

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 7:02 pm 
I think the OP is not realistic. While this route requires significant avalanche skills, the most important of those skills is to know when to say no. With the recent very cold weather there will be a layering problem in new snow in several significant coming storms.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 7:08 pm 
The summer hiking trail travels through terrain exposed to significant avalanche hazard. There are lower risk approaches from the summer parking lot. But you really need knowledge of snow stability and how it interacts with the terrain to manage the risk effectively. Following another's gpx route wouldn't be able to take into account current snow conditions. Recently there have been some serious avalanche accidents (including a triple fatality) in various places in the Cascades from wind transported snow forming unstable slabs on a variety of aspects. If you lack the training to self evaluate snow stability on the terrain you are traveling on, it's quite a gamble, particularly under the current conditions.

wisedamian22

wisedamian22
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 7:19 pm 
Z, GB and Randito Thank you for the response. I am aware of the fatalities over the last three years at this location. I am also aware of the 3 fatalities last week within the cascades. I have no issues backing away and saying "no" if the conditions aren't right. I have also seen quite a few blogs about successful completion of this route during the winter. I am looking for anyone that has successfully hiked this route in 2023. Thank you again for your response. Damian

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 7:26 pm 
Fyi, the cascade river road is closed at mp 6 due to a rock slide since November

Eric Eames

wisedamian22
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 7:49 pm 
wisedamian22 wrote:
am looking for anyone that has successfully hiked this route in 2023.
I don't understand your thinking here. Current conditions are vastly different than they were in January or for that matter last week. There is a storm system coming tonight that will again change the conditions and since the winds with that storm system will be coming from a different direction, there areas of concern will be different. Route selection can be very detailed, a matter of a few meters different depending on the current structure of the snow. A GPX track from two weeks ago could easily lead you in to very hazardous terrain, even though two weeks ago it was the lower risk option.

wisedamian22

wisedamian22
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 8:15 pm 
Randito What is hard to understand? Have you hiked this route over this winter? If not, I would prefer to keep this thread minimized to those that have. I'm looking for insight on this particular hike, not a lesson on understanding terrain conditions or following a GPX. Thank you

thuja

thuja
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 8:20 pm 
You should consider a winter attempt at HLL to be a winter mountaineering trip, NOT a hike.

Opus, Bramble_Scramble, fourteen410
wisedamian22

wisedamian22
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 8:23 pm 
Bravo Thuja, NWHiker should give you a gold star for that response.

snowmonkey

snowmonkey
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 9:12 pm 
wisedamian are you for real? Informative, local, seasoned advice is being given. All worthy of gold stars-offered for your benefit.

Ocian in view! O! The joy! William Clark

ChinookPass, Opus, Logbear, RichP, fourteen410
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 9:16 pm 
I wouldn't discount the experience, folks here are not sugar coating the risks for genuine reasons. I've been up there in early March when you can drive up a good portion of the road. We did not bother with the lookout which looked somewhat sketchy to reach although there was a more experienced party that did and stayed up there. Best of luck if you go.

wisedamian22, catsp
wisedamian22

wisedamian22
PostSat Feb 25, 2023 9:35 pm 
Snow monkey Are you serious? Condescending remarks aren't what I would call advice. About as useful as your comment. Tom Thank you. This information is helpful and will be used to help in my final decision making. I'll update if I decide to pursue this adventure when I land next Thursday. Cheers

Cyclopath, Chief Joseph, catsp
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 9:55 am 
We're having a major winter storm here right now. There aren't going to be avalanche stable conditions by next weekend up there. I've been up HLP many times in the winter and there never were conditions I considered safe under that cornice. The main peak offers a much better winter summit. Please carry a beacon if decide to go.

ChinookPass, Cyclopath, wisedamian22, Malachai Constant, catsp
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 10:14 am 
A beacon and a satellite device InReach, spot, etc. Is this a troll?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
wisedamian22

wisedamian22
PostSun Feb 26, 2023 10:21 am 
Excellent advice. Thanks Schroder! Malachi "A beacon and a satellite device InReach, spot, etc. Is this a troll?" Maybe. Might even send up a weather balloon to see the fireworks