Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hidden Lake Lookout
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Feb 28, 2023 11:30 am 
Mr. Wise. You need to do more squats...

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Feb 28, 2023 11:31 am 
Sheesh, this entire thread is like a Jr. High school lunchroom fight . Time to lock up this thread and leave this man to do as he deems fit for him to do - he has asked his question and has received answers.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Feb 28, 2023 11:35 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
he has asked his question and has received answers.
Exactly! In spite of all the back and forth the gentleman from Vermont has gotten some excellent information and advice. More than enough to plan a great trip. I am looking forward to his trip report. ~z

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Feb 28, 2023 11:36 am 
Glad I got my comments in before the thread got locked. And...3, 2, 1...

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
gb

gb
PostTue Feb 28, 2023 11:52 am 
Snowdog wrote:
The NWAC was Moderate risk on day of the avalanche(s) on Colchuck; and an avalanche in CO took 2 people a few days ago, on a Moderate risk day.
I learned my biggest avalanche lesson on a day with Low Avalanche Hazard when I triggered a 4' slab. It was likely the only large avalanche in the Cascades that day. I missed a detail I could not have known or analyzed, and in retrospect even with weather data I collected from NWAC in retrospect I realized there is no way I could have figured this - the weak layer formed 13 days earlier +-. It was an aspect and elevation-specific faceted suncrust. The big lesson was that even if each decision one makes (I made) over time made sense and was well thought out, a certain amount of this hazard even in what appears to be obvious situations, is strictly based on probability - a probability we can never know with any degree of precision. My risk profile at the time was too high as I was skiing in higher risk terrain, even if the "Avalanche Hazard" suggested not substantial probabilities. This was the key lesson I brought to over 4000 students over 27 years. It was also what led me and Frank Baumann https://bivouac.com/UsrPg.asp?UsrId=15869 to develop a work-up of the Avalanche Exposure Scale that the CAC modified and adopted by Grant Statham in avalanche education subsequent to the disastrous 2003 Canadian avalanche season in which 27 people died and weak unpredictable layers remained active from December through early May of that year. We also developed a prototype dual dimensional avalanche decision matrix that is also in use in Canada today in recreational avalanche education. Statham acknowledged to Frank at the 2006 ISSW that he had been following Telemarktips.com at the time as had most Canadian avalanche professionals. BC hired Frank as the official reviewer of Canadian Professional Avalanche accidents around that year. Frank died in a one person car accident south of Pemberton perhaps a decade ago. Climbing can be thought of the same way. While climbing something like the Burgner Stanley or West Face of NEWS does not have substantial objective hazard, something like the W Ridge of Constance, or worse, the Triple Couloir always carries high objective hazard. One of my best friends lost two good friends on that route in what would have looked like nearly ideal winter conditions. It is probable one of them triggered a small windslab or rockfall generated an avalanche.

SpookyKite89, zimmertr
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 28, 2023 12:43 pm 
Snowdog wrote:
The NWAC was Moderate risk on day of the avalanche(s) on Colchuck; and an avalanche in CO took 2 people a few days ago, on a Moderate risk day.
Moderate doesn't mean zero. Probably all English speakers know this, so it isn't really necessary to point out.

Logbear

Logbear
PostTue Feb 28, 2023 1:03 pm 
Logbear wrote:
wisedamian22 wrote:
I hear there's great resort riding and a few hot spring hikes
What is "resort riding".
, I never got an answer to my question, but at this point I would recommend "resort riding" over the other options. And I don't even know what "resort riding" is.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
idoru

idoru
PostTue Feb 28, 2023 1:25 pm 
wisedamian22 wrote:
Condescending remarks aren't what I would call advice. About as useful as your comment.
To be fair, and at the risk of piling on, I've observed that you came to a place as a new user, asked existing users for their opinions, and then became condescending yourself when those opinions seemed strongly opposed to your idea(s). In point of fact (see: the rear-end pic you've more recently posted) you've doubled-down on your hostility towards others as this thread has progressed. It's OK to not get a response you're looking for. You asked for opinions, you received them, and your actions based on that data from here on out are yours alone - make whatever decision you're going to make, be happy with it, damn what anybody else thinks. As someone who's also making their first NWHikers post in this thread, it seems like there's a lot of very valuable knowledge to be gleaned from some incredibly experienced people. Whether or not it pertains to exactly what I'm looking for or curious about, I'd still be respectful of established users and take all feedback in stride.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 28, 2023 1:28 pm 
At the end of page one I-asked, is this a troll? Op responded, “maybe”. 5 pages later I have my answer.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
wisedamian22

wisedamian22
PostTue Feb 28, 2023 1:29 pm 
idoru Thank you for your blessing. It means a lot logbear Keep searching buddy. Let me know what you come up with Malachi Kindly find a hole behind you to stick your head

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 28, 2023 1:30 pm 
Going to lock this as not sure there is value in keeping it open.

wisedamian22