Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Apr 19, 2022 5:01 pm 
Olympic Hiker wrote:
Watched the latest Spider-Man the other day and wasn’t too impressed. Not the best Spider-Man in my opinion.
Totally agreed. I don't get the hype. Nostalgia only takes you so far.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostWed Apr 20, 2022 12:01 am 
cdestroyer wrote:
and both a quiet place
I refused to watch that movie on principle because they didn't call it "A Quieter Place." Like seriously duh. What were they thinking?? biggrin.gif

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu May 05, 2022 4:36 pm 
Just streamed on Amazon - a fascinating look at the technical and aesthetic evolution of sound in film. An aspect that we somewhat take for granted. up.gif up.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

olderthanIusedtobe
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri May 06, 2022 3:34 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Just streamed on Amazon - a fascinating look at the technical and aesthetic evolution of sound in film. An aspect that we somewhat take for granted. up.gif up.gif
My brother clued me in on Foley artists, looks like that's part of this although not the focus. Rather interesting subset of the movie making business.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri May 06, 2022 8:19 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
My brother clued me in on Foley artists, looks like that's part of this although not the focus.
That's true, olderthan. The term "Foley" isn't even mentioned until near the end of the program. An interesting tidbit from the film is that no "artificial" or digitally generated sound effects were used in the early Star Wars films. They went out and collected (ie taped) all kinds of natural sounds to get the effects they wanted. One sound guy hitting the guywires anchoring a transmission tower of some sort with a hammer comes to mind; something they used in making the sound of the storm trooper weapons.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jun 08, 2022 8:57 pm 
Watching RRR an in testing Telgu Film from Hyberdad tech center in southern India. Bollywood on steroids available on Netflix. Lots of fighting, evil English imperialists, dancing, revolution, and romance. Old school spectacular. Fun flick but not Citizen Kane or Lawerence of Arabia.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 9:33 am 
I know we have some music fans on this site. Yesterday I streamed "Rumble: The Indians Who Rocked The World" on Netflix. Very interesting and informative documentary. I had no clue how much Native American music influenced the early days of rock, blues and jazz.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Dec 18, 2022 10:19 pm 
Just saw Avatar 2 the way of Water in the 2x version. Very entertaining immersion in a different world. More fantasy than Sci-fi amazing special effects. Plot and acting was pretty generic. Fun trip on a snowy night.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Feb 28, 2023 3:15 pm 
I saw this on HBO Max yesterday, although it's out in select theaters too. It's an amazing film, a documentary about three men who take care of injured black kites (amongst other birds) in New Delhi. Thoughtful and thought-provoking. I can't recommend it enough!

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

Kascadia
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostWed Mar 01, 2023 4:22 pm 
just watched greyhound with tom hanks...very good

graywolf
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Jun 01, 2023 7:44 pm 
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse is spectacular! It’s builds and builds…and builds to a crescendo. My favorite movie of the year, so far.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jun 02, 2023 8:44 pm 
Because of recent online reading about Richard Feynman, a junior member of the Manhattan Project, I've become aware of a film coming out next month, Oppenheimer, with Cillian Murphy as Oppenheimer. Some may remember his prominent role in the series Peaky Blinders. Directed by Christopher Nolan. Should be excellent.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostFri Jun 02, 2023 11:09 pm 
I believe the Oppenheimer film is somewhat of an adaptation of the 2005 biography "American Prometheus," which won the Pulitzer Prize that year. It's a great book.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)

Anne Elk, Kascadia
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Jun 03, 2023 2:51 pm 
Watched "Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves" last night. I'd been looking forward to seeing it for a while, and it didn't disappoint. Very good CGI and choreography in the fight scenes. Humor that works and doesn't feel forced. Some tension, but a movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. All of the main cast were really well chosen for their parts I thought. Just a fun movie.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Jun 20, 2023 8:17 pm 
I just watched The Flash, and really enjoyed it. It was surprisingly funny and had a lot of story. I think the latter was my main reason for enjoying it as much as I did. Ezra Miller, as the lead, produced a great performance. (Unfortunately, every time I watched their acting parts - i.e. when they weren't doing The Flash type activities, and I could turn my brain off - I just wanted to ignore the scenes.) I realize that some people will not be able to watch the film because of Ezra Miller's recent abhorrent behavior, but if you can 'separate the art from the person' then I would recommend it as one of the better DCU movies. PS. Sasha Calle was fantastic as Supergirl! My favorite ever portrayal of a female superhero. I hope James Gunn casts her in his upcoming slate of movies.