Forum Index > Trail Talk > Owner & dog shot and killed in Lewis Co.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostSat Nov 12, 2022 3:41 pm 
Guns / politics drirft removed by moderator.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Jan 31, 2023 9:56 am 
Portland media update: https://www.koin.com/news/crime/portland-hiker-slain-in-lewis-county-in-august-no-arrests/

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey

fourteen410
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Mar 01, 2023 7:26 pm 
Another article in the Portland media showing increasing frustration among friends and relatives here, but no action in Lewis County: https://www.koin.com/news/crime/2022-death-of-portland-hiker-aron-christensen-remains-unsolved-authorities-seek-tips/ It's suggested (on the TV clip) that those with info might do better to contact the Seattle FBI rather than the Lewis County sheriff. However, the FBI has not been called in.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Mar 01, 2023 8:37 pm 
Geez. This one really gets me, probably because I have my own musician husband and cattle dog (mix) and we're around that age and I've dropped him off at that very campground for a hike (to be picked up at Chinook Pass). How does this get no attention?? (Except for this podcast. Imagine if the victim were a young pretty white woman rather than a middle aged man.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 01, 2023 9:25 pm 
Lewis County is home of the "uncle sam billboard" along I-5 that is famous for its reactionary slogans . Unfortunately I think prosecuting a lewis County resident for the manslaughter of a Portland resident wouldn't be a winning re-election campaign strategy.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Mar 01, 2023 11:58 pm 
Randito wrote:
Lewis County is home of the "uncle sam billboard" along I-5 that is famous for its reactionary slogans .
It's also home to Kathy's Rusty Relics, your one stop shop for confederate flags and memorabilia rolleyes.gif Thanks for the podcast info Kiliki; just finished listening to the episode. This case bothers me as well. The victim's family has an attorney - hopefully that person is keeping the heat on the sheriff's office. I still can't figure out where he was murdered. Some sources say 3ish miles up the Walupt Lake trail, but the podcast says the shooter admitted to encountering Aron & Buzzo on his way to meet his dad for a hunting trip at Sheep Lake confused.gif

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Mar 02, 2023 11:19 am 
Quote:
Unfortunately I think prosecuting a lewis County resident for the manslaughter of a Portland resident wouldn't be a winning re-election campaign strategy.
Call me naive but I didn't think it was quite so optional. I'm sure we can all think of instances or ways that the justice system doesn't result in justice for certain people or populations but I thought law enforcement would still need to bring charges even if the accused ended up being acquitted in court.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 02, 2023 11:49 am 
Prosecutor's and law enforcement officers have a great deal of discretion in how they enforce the law. I've certainly not been cited for speeding on several occasions when I was certainly guilty of excessive speed and was pulled over. The Ahmaud Arbery case illustrated that LE can be quite deferential to " good ole boys". In Ahmaud Arbery case was video evidence of the crime committed and the video went viral, resulting in outcry and eventual prosecution of both the murderers and the prosecutor for not performing their duty. The unfortunate Lewis County case AFAIK so far lacks similarly conclusive evidence. Though it does seem like charges under RCW 9.41.230 could be brought.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 02, 2023 12:34 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Call me naive but I didn't think it was quite so optional. I'm sure we can all think of instances or ways that the justice system doesn't result in justice for certain people or populations but I thought law enforcement would still need to bring charges even if the accused ended up being acquitted in court.
Per the Supreme Court, the law has no duty to protect.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostWed Apr 05, 2023 11:19 pm 
Finally, more information... But still no charges. shakehead.gif https://www.chronline.com/stories/justice-delayed-documents-shed-light-on-tumultuous-investigation-into-death-of-aron-christensen,316167

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)

vogtski, fourteen410
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Apr 06, 2023 8:01 am 
Quote:
Testing done on the bullet recovered from Christensen’s body later confirmed the bullet matched Asbach’s gun and that dog DNA was present on the bullet.
That seems like the most important bit. If the dog DNA being found on the bullet is accurate, that would comfirm the shooters story. This might actually be a tragic coincidence, where the shooter legitimately thought he was firing at a dangerous animal in the dark. I dont think a conviction would be likely if this news report is accurate.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostThu Apr 06, 2023 8:42 am 
thunderhead wrote:
dog DNA being found on the bullet
The pathologist said she used the same tools to examine both bodies and her assistants didn't change their gloves, so it seems impossible to determine whether they contaminated the evidence or whether the bullet actually went through both bodies. One of the many mind boggling screw ups in this investigation. Also, wouldn't negligently firing your gun in the dark cause you heard a noise and accidentally killing someone be the very definition of manslaughter?

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)

Cyclopath
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Apr 06, 2023 9:02 am 
The coroner noted fluid build up in Aron's eyes that indicated he might have been face down at the time of death (but was discovered on his back). On the morning of Aug 20, two different parties passed the location where Aron's body was later found and said they did not see him there. The first veterinarian that performed a post mortem exam on Buzzo said there was no bullet exit wound. A subsequent exam by a different veterinarian found that there actually was - the first vet never shaved his fur so she didn't see it. Apparently Aron was lying down having a heart attack for hours and then was shot? This investigation is a hot mess.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Apr 06, 2023 9:05 am 
Quote:
Also, wouldn't negligently firing your gun in the dark cause you heard a noise and accidentally killing someone be the very definition of manslaughter?
Possibly. He says he yelled at a growling animal to get it to back off, it didnt, and he fired. That doesnt sound negligent if true, and I dont see any evidence to the contrary other than the low odds of a hitting both at once. Theres a question if the victim human was already dead from a heart attack, and the investigation was botched. Theres a lot reasonable doubt and uncertainty... so long as these news reports are somewhat accurate thats not going to convince an average jury.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Apr 06, 2023 1:51 pm 
A reminder that this is the "scary, growling animal" that was found dead on a leash next to Aron's body.
4 month old puppy
4 month old puppy
I keep returning to what the hikers and horse riders said: they did not see Aron when they passed by in the morning. That leads me to believe this happened during the day, not at night. Maybe I missed something, but it's odd that the medical examiner didn't opine on an estimated time of death.