Forum Index > Trip Reports > Green Mountain via Wise Creek Ridge
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Mar 02, 2023 10:19 am 
After reading of the plans to decommission the Sitka Spruce trail I wondered what other options for Green Mountain might be found. It needed to be via the Besserman Road. Last week after walking the hound out to the Wise Creek Bridge, along the CCC, the ridge directly to the south of the Wise Creek caught my attention. I could see on Cal-topo that it was actually the same ridge we had taken last month, after leaving the Last Promontory Road, on our trip to Green Mountain. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8036739 Yesterday's break in the weather was the perfect chance for some exploring!
Parked at the main Oxbow Tral parking lot and walk the road to the Besserman Rd.
Then up the Besserman Road to the CCC, where took a left, and crossed the Big Blowout Creek Bridge.
Hike the CCC to what I thought was the bridge over Wise Creek.
My plan was to follow the ridge directly to the south of the creek. It turns out, the bridge does not cross the branch of Wise Creek that is shown marked on the maps, but one to the North of the branch I intended on using for guidance. So, I happily charged up the wrong ridge. Wasn't long before I realized my error and with a bit of effort got myself on to the proper ridge. So, take the Black track at the beginning! It's much better (and where you really want to be)!
This turned out to be a very fun, very typical Middle Fork, route! The line goes directly to the Last Promontory Road/Trail!
if you follow this road to the left (south) it will take you to the Last Promontory.
Spotted my second cat tracks of the day. Not sure but I think it was a large Bobcat.
From here I picked up the route we did last month. The snow was really starting to pile up so I put on the snowshoes and continue up. Eventually I was knee deep even in snowshoes and called it a day.
After all the work it was heavenly trucking back down in the snowshoes! I kept them on al the way back to the Middle Fork Road! I can't wait to try this again with firmer snow! The End, B.

BarbE, Fedor, fourteen410, Bramble_Scramble, mosey, awilsondc, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hutch

Hutch
PostThu Mar 02, 2023 11:37 am 
Thanks for this. I am still bitter about the "decommissioning" of the Sitka Spruce Trail but good to know this area is still accessible via Bessemer. Lots of snow out there!

Bramble_Scramble, Now I Fly
mort

mort
PostThu Mar 02, 2023 1:58 pm 
I think I’ve seen that route.

Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Mar 02, 2023 3:54 pm 
mort wrote:
I think I’ve seen that route.
Sure enough! smile.gif

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Mar 02, 2023 4:57 pm 
I can't believe he followed our tracks up that ridge! lol.gif I can say that because I am SuperHikr's inaugural "Super Hiker"! Ka Kaaaa! smile.gif https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2022-04-16-2438873632

Fedor
Fedor

Fedor
PostThu Mar 02, 2023 9:22 pm 
Now I Fly wrote:
I can't believe he followed our tracks up that ridge! :
I can't believe it either. I assumed suprhikr would have to break trail as a rule. I know DNR considered building a trail generally along that ridge up to absolute last promontory and decided against it. I've wanted to head up that way and run down the road. Seems like a nice loop opportunity.

mosey, Now I Fly
Type E

Type E
PostFri Mar 03, 2023 2:41 pm 
I tried that route many years ago and had the opposite issue, not enough snow coverage . Almost lost the beagle in the man eating holes in the boulder field I tried to cross. E

Please follow me at: http://alpinelakesaficionado.blogspot.com/

Now I Fly
BarbE

BarbE
PostFri Mar 03, 2023 3:30 pm 
Brian, I’m not surprised, all mighty Super Hiker was impressed by you! 😄 I think I saw your truck at Oxbow trailhead.

Roly Poly, Now I Fly
neek

neek
PostThu Apr 13, 2023 7:35 pm 
Did this one yesterday. The first 800' above the CCC trail is now snow free, but it's a surprisingly open forest. Snow got pretty soft higher up and snowshoes were slipping a bit, but it worked out. We screwed up and stayed on the ridge at 3200'. It's critical to start heading far to the right at that point, before the ridge becomes steep, narrow, and cliffy. Partly cloudy at the top, with no wind. Tip: a mountain bike would shave off 2 miles each way.
Found these not far up the Bessemer road. Is a new campground being built??
Found these not far up the Bessemer road. Is a new campground being built??
The worst of the forest. Most of it is quite open, making for easy (but steep) walking
The worst of the forest. Most of it is quite open, making for easy (but steep) walking
When I realized I shouldn't still be on the ridge. Notice the tracks way below!
When I realized I shouldn't still be on the ridge. Notice the tracks way below!
Heading up (you have a photo from the same location!)
Summit view
Summit view
Russian Butte from CCC trail
Russian Butte from CCC trail

catsp, Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Apr 13, 2023 8:21 pm 
Maybe this will require a sign. breakdance.gif We (mainly me!) marched right up it. Yeah, bad idea. Also, Green is cool! :-)

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Apr 13, 2023 11:50 pm 
neek wrote:
Your report sounds like you were alone. Who took this photo or who is in the photo? I have heard that the bear-proof trash cans are to be distributed to the various DNR sites like Mine Creek, Russian Butte View (kayak put-in), etc. I hope they budgeted to empty them frequently enough.

neek

neek
PostFri Apr 14, 2023 6:20 am 
puzzlr wrote:
Your report sounds like you were alone. Who took this photo or who is in the photo?
Drone. No, just kidding - changed to "we" smile.gif