Forum Index > Partners > Hikers/Backpackers/Snowshoers and/or Kayakers near Sequim?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostTue Feb 21, 2023 9:35 am 
Hi All! We bought a house near Sequim in 2011 and are getting closer to retiring here. We are over here at least once a month but stay a week or longer during my teaching breaks. I am hoping to find people available midweek as my husband will continue working another 3.5 years, but I plan to retire from full time in 18 months. We would like to have a group of people over here who share our interests. I would love to meet someone during spring break first week of April to get out and even possibly this week. Our home is being remodeled for us to live here permanently so this week's focus has been painting. We are free this weekend as far as we know, but we had a contractor quit on us so may need to visit a potential new contractor to finish the upstairs bathroom. We have focused the last few years on visiting all the remaining fire lookout structures and former locations. We only have one structure left: Adams so we spend a lot of time piling up elevation gain to get us strong enough to do that one. We hope to summit this summer late July to early August. Injuries, fire, or illness prevented us from doing so the past three years. Our pace is about 1500 feet gain and two miles per hour average on uphill. We tend to hike 2-3 hours nonstop; then have a 15-30 minute break. We like to hang out at the destination if it is warm. We usually hike 6 hours or so a day when backpacking - will do more than that eventually as we plan to do the John Muir after husband retires. We tend to average in the 2500 - 4000 gain per day range - sometimes 5000. The most I have done in a day is 6200, but I am not really up for doing that much in a day very often! Winter outings tend to be 2500-3000 gain as days are short. My husband is allergic to poor weather hikes/backpacks, but we have been out in inclement weather. He just prefers not to. We snowshoe, backpack, kayak, ride bikes, and dance. We also go for easier evening walks. Just hoping to find others who do some of these activities. Let us know if you're interested in adding to your group of hiking partners. I definitely plan to get out as often as possible midweek during my summer break. We don't have to be exactly the same pace, but it is nice if we aren't off by a lot.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Feb 21, 2023 10:50 am 
Welcome to nwh

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Noyzecat
Nikki Storms

Noyzecat
Nikki Storms
PostWed Mar 01, 2023 1:53 pm 
Hello! I am always interested in adding to my group of hiking friends! I'm am hoping to do some of the Pacific Crest this summer, so I'm grateful for all the training I can get! I usually work Monday - Friday, but can get a Tuesday free fairly easily. Any Tuesday hikes you wanna try? I'm learning the area, and using a couple of apps to explore new trails. I live South a bit, but I'm used to driving 1-2 hours to find the hikers/trails. I would be happy to be the Tuesday hiking lady! Lol

Life has taken me out of the mountains, and I am trying to get back to them. Looking for my hiking community that wants to play!
veronika

veronika
PostFri Mar 03, 2023 10:25 pm 
Waterman wrote:
Welcome to nwh
She isn’t new here. 😁 I would love to do some kayaking this summer! PM me if interested.

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.