Forum Index > Trail Talk > Stehekin
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cody s

Cody s
PostSun Mar 05, 2023 9:09 pm 
I made a minor mistake at cascade pass last year when I mentioned to my 12 year old granddaughter that there is a bakery at the end of this trail. To make a long story short we are hiking in this year and it will be her longest thru hike yet. She has not forgotten our bakery conversation. Can anyone compare the differences between starting at rainy pass compared to cascade pass? Keep in mind I'm looking at this from a 12 year old perspective. Thanks, Cody

Mountainpines, Cyclopath
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 9:10 am 
I have hiked both. Rainy pass is probably a better choice as one does not have to go over Park Creek pass. Likely better for your twelve year old. Have fun! cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 9:24 am 
Cascade Pass route much more scenic and much longer. Possibly harder to get permits as well. From Rainy its just a straight shot (with minimal if any elevation gain) down the PCT. C-list scenery. Why not make it a loop?

Mountainpines
Cody s

Cody s
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 9:44 am 
I definitely did consider a loop instead of a thru hike. My wife maybe looking forward to waiting for us pool side In Chelan. It will take some convincing

zimmertr
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 10:28 am 
Cody s wrote:
Can anyone compare the differences between starting at rainy pass compared to cascade pass? Keep in mind I'm looking at this from a 12 year old perspective.
Cascade Pass is a cinnamon roll, an iced cream, a cookie, and a soda at the bakery. Rainy Pass is a cinnamon roll and half your iced cream.

Mountainpines, Slim  jditty
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 2:25 pm 
I did the thru hike over Cascade pass two years back with my 18 yo nephew and two brother in laws who are not in the best shape. We did it in 2 nights, 3 days and it was a great trip. Hard to beat Cascade Pass for scenery. A couple of things: - On the year that we did it, the road was closed 2 miles back from the Cascade Pass TH which added time and elevation. I would check on that prior to your departure if you choose this option. - We were able to get permits for camping at Pelton Basin which was the limit of how far our party could travel in a day. The next camping spot was either Horseshoe basin or Cottonwood camp which would have been too much for the group. - It was hot !! We did the trip in the third week of July and we cooked on the east side of Cascade pass on the way down to the river. Best to do that part in the morning hours. - If time and budget allows for it, spend a night at the Stehekin Lodge. It's a great spot to hangout to tour the valley including the bakery.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"

Mountainpines, Cyclopath
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 2:44 pm 
I have not been to the bakery for years. Did they ever start serving alcohol there, or do those poor PCT smucks have to go all the way down to Stehekin to buy an expensive beer?

Mountainpines
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 2:52 pm 
Slim wrote:
On the year that we did it, the road was closed 2 miles back from the Cascade Pass TH which added time and elevation. I would check on that prior to your departure if you choose this option.
That road washes out a lot. When I joined from Cascade Pass to Stehekin the road had been washed out for weeks and only opened the day of my hike. I had already made backup plans and was thrilled to do this instead. Definitely take this advice to heart.
Slim wrote:
We were able to get permits for camping at Pelton Basin which was the limit of how far our party could travel in a day. The next camping spot was either Horseshoe basin or Cottonwood camp which would have been too much for the group.
Pelton Basin was a nice camp, make sure to go down to the creek. You'll have to for water anyway. I wasn't thrilled to stay at Cottonwood and would have preferred Basin Camp. I didn't know that when I got my permit. If you have the chance, stay at Basin Camp. Even if you stay at Pelton, which would make for a very short second day .

Mountainpines
Worthington

Worthington
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 8:01 pm 
There are a lot of other ways to hike in to Stehekin. Check out trails off the Twisp River. Another option that might appeal to a 12yr old: 1-nighter via spider gap to holden, then get ice cream and a shoer in holden and ride the bus/boat to Stehekin for a night there.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 8:25 pm 
Chelan Lakeshore Trail is good too. For a longer but less hilly trek.

Cody s

Cody s
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 8:26 pm 
Could I also consider starting at the end of suattle river road ? I forget if that travels over spider gap or not

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Mar 06, 2023 11:53 pm 
Cody s wrote:
Could I also consider starting at the end of suattle river road ? I forget if that travels over spider gap or not
No, it goes over Suiattle Pass. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostSun Mar 12, 2023 10:59 pm 
I didn’t find the bakery to be that good in Stehekin. It’s okay. After a long hike though, delicious. I didn’t do this hike. But if hiking it, I was thinking of starting in Stehekin. Maybe someone can park at Cascade Pass. So, you can go downhill through those switchbacks and pick your ride there when done. I did a portion of the hike when the road to Cascade Pass reopened. I definitely want to do it one day.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostMon Mar 13, 2023 10:10 am 
Do you mean a loop from CAscade pass to Stehekin, then on to Rainy pass ? I suppose that wouldn't be a loop though.

Cody s

Cody s
PostMon Mar 13, 2023 10:18 am 
I have considered that