Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Needles ~ South Dome ~ Gold Dome ~ Tumarion Peak ~ AZ ~ 3/7/23
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostWed Mar 15, 2023 3:56 pm 
Dave was down in the desert with the van so Riley and I flew into Vegas last Monday morning for some desert fun. The town of Needles, CA is named after some desert spires in the Havasu National Wildlife Refuge across the Colorado River in AZ. These peaks have been on my desert short list ever since Adam did them a couple years ago and highly recommended them. When I was down in the desert with Josh Henderson in January, we tried to force these peaks in gale force winds, but ended up having to bail. I was stoked to have an opportunity to return so soon. After a nice warm evening under the stars at the trailhead, we were hiking shortly before 8am on Tuesday, March 7. The last few miles of road were too rough for Dave's van, which added a few pleasant miles to our approach. Gold Dome is impressive when it first comes into view.
first view of Gold Dome and Havasuper Peak (pk 1460)
first view of Gold Dome and Havasuper Peak (pk 1460)
To access Gold Dome and South Dome we scrambled up and over Havasuper Peak, which provides some jawdropping views of our main objectives. Havasuper has some fun scrambling on mostly solid rock and some insane relief off of its eastern side. After a quick break on that summit, we descended the south ridge and dropped down into the basin just west of Gold and South Domes.
the wilderness boundary
the wilderness boundary
such a cool area
such a cool area
hiking up and over Havasuper
hiking up and over Havasuper
The Colorado River
The Colorado River
Gold Dome and South Dome from the Havasuper summit
Gold Dome and South Dome from the Havasuper summit
Havasuper
Havasuper
the crazy east wall of Havasuper
the crazy east wall of Havasuper
South Dome was up first. We hiked up the gully just north of peak with some short sections of class 3. Just before the top of the gully we located a class 3 wrap around that Stav Basis's party used to exit the gully when they did this peak. A few exposed class 3 moves brought us around a corner into a sort of alcove with a class 5 headwall. The headwall is probably 35 or 40 feet tall, but the crux moves are at the bottom and not exposed. The nature of the rock on this peak would not take pro, so we all soloed the headwall.
up the gully
up the gully
the class 3 wrap around
the class 3 wrap around
the headwall
the headwall
Riley climbing the headwall
Riley climbing the headwall
A short scramble above the headwall brought us into another sort of alcove and a shorter class 4 feature. Above that, more fun scrambling, including another class 4 step to get over an overhang and we were on the spacious summit. A nice long relaxing break was had in the warm sun.
the class 4 step
the class 4 step
an old register
an old register
Adam!
Adam!
our entry
our entry
descending with Gold Dome
descending with Gold Dome
Tumarion Peak with the wash that we'd later use to access it on the left
Tumarion Peak with the wash that we'd later use to access it on the left
scenic
scenic
downclimbing the class 4 step
downclimbing the class 4 step
We made one rappel off of an existing anchor down the headwall, then wrapped around the corner and were back in the gully. We were able to find a high route past the spires between Gold and South Domes that I hadnt read about anyone else doing. This saved us maybe 300 ft of gain that we were able to avoid.
our single rap for the day
our single rap for the day
this crazy corner is likely the only feasible route up this spire, not sure if its ever been climbed
this crazy corner is likely the only feasible route up this spire, not sure if its ever been climbed
heading for Gold Dome
heading for Gold Dome
We hiked up Gold Dome's main southern gully, dropped our poles at a notch and started scrambling. Gold Dome has some excellent, exposed 3rd class.
Dave low on the route
Dave low on the route
Right below the summit, there is a short, fairly crumbly, knife edge. You could avoid it on the right, but we all walked across it for fun.
the knife edge
the knife edge
Riley at the knife edge
Riley at the knife edge
Dave on Gold Dome
Dave on Gold Dome
some nice scrambling just below the summit
some nice scrambling just below the summit
Gold Dome views
Gold Dome views
Another nice, long break in the warm sun and we decided we had enough daylight for Tumarion Peak. We descended back to notch and hiked down into the wash to the south. This wash has a scramble step to get past a vertical dry fall. We then rounded the north side of Tumarion Peak and scrambled up the east ridge.
Tumarion
Tumarion
downclimbing
downclimbing
looking back
looking back
Riley with some cactus
Riley with some cactus
Tumarion was the least interesting peak of the day but still worth the extra effort for the views.
South Dome and Gold Dome from Tumarion
South Dome and Gold Dome from Tumarion
Spirit, which Dave and I climbed in 2019, in the distance
Spirit, which Dave and I climbed in 2019, in the distance
Dave found a buddy
Dave found a buddy
Gold Dome
Gold Dome
After Tumarion, we hiked across the desert back to the van in fading evening light. What a perfect day bagging peaks in Arizona with my friends. ~15 miles ~4000 gain

Now I Fly, Gimpilator, geyer, SeanSullivan86, Nancyann, jstern, rubywrangler, zimmertr, Tom, awilsondc, neek
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostWed Mar 15, 2023 4:14 pm 
Nice, guys. I'm about to embark on some desert goodness myself. smile.gif

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed Mar 15, 2023 5:03 pm 
Nice video! The Colorado river is so colorful next to the dry landscape. Too bad I missed you by a couple days but it was fun meeting up with Desert Dave for some pks last weekend

Eric Eames
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Mar 15, 2023 8:27 pm 
The knife edge seems like it would give most people pause, but Dave walked over it like it was a sidewalk!

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Mar 16, 2023 8:50 pm 
Awesome to see you guys get these peaks, some of the best in the desert. Really enjoyed the video too. Adding Tumarion in the same day is quite impressive! up.gif up.gif