Forum Index > Trail Talk > Is there a limit to how many dogs you can walk off leash in unincorporated Snohomish County?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 16, 2023 11:44 am 
RumiDude wrote:
Say what you want, but I don't have to put up with dogs violating my personal space, whether or not it is playful or otherwise.
Absolutely true! You can hike in national parks where dogs aren't allowed.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Mar 16, 2023 1:38 pm 
As I wrote, my position on how to react to dogs and dog owners when the dogs are getting into my space evolved from passivity to assertive. I used to just grin and bear it, but I started speaking up to the owners as well as assertively keeping dogs away from me. Additionally I encourage others to do the same. And I avoid being cruel to the dogs and smart alecky to the owners. An assertive and aggressive "no" generally works well to keep most dogs away. And then a "can you please keep your dog(s) from jumping on me" or whatever it is that they are doing usually prompts the owner to get the dog under control. On the rare occasion that doesn't work, I will take further steps to assert my personal space. If the dog owner is offended rather than enlightened to their lack of control of their dog, that is beyond my control. Always tell the dog owner if their dog is bothering you with bad behavior. You aren't doing them or yourself any favor by remaining silent. If they suggest "don't be nervous as in the WTA incident, or to "stand still" like in the OPs incident, then you need to remind them that they are responsible to control their dog and not your responsibility. You don’t have to be shrill about it, just calm and firm. So that's the takeaway, assert your personal space and speak up. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 16, 2023 7:19 pm 
What I find most concerning in the WTA report was the dog owner's dismissive attitude in response to requests to get the dogs under control. Further concerning was the reported dismissive email response from the MTTA email account. We only have the WTA report version of events , it would be interesting to hear the snow groomer and the MTTA person that sent the email response version of events.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostThu Mar 16, 2023 8:51 pm 
That WTA report is ludicrous and deeply disturbing. The woman clearly has mental health issues. Give me a break! Suggesting that a dog sniffing her nether regions is assault or rape. That is so far out of bounds and untethered from sanity. I saw the WHC version and it was quickly removed by the admins. In short, the WTA report is DSM 5 crazy!

Mountainpines
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 9:54 am 
Roly Poly wrote:
Suggesting that a dog sniffing her nether regions is assault or rape.
I agreed that the WTA report is a bit on the hyperbolic side. My read of the WTA report didn't pick up an assertion of rape(involving penetration), but rather the assertion that a nose shoved in the crotch was unwelcome. I'm of the camp that expects and trains my dog to not run up to people unless they are beckoned by the person. My current dog is still on the learning curve there, so I call her back as soon as other people are visible and if it is a sudden encounter (tight switchback in the woods) immediately give the command "off". She is a smaller dog (25lbs) and doesn't pose a risk of physical harm , but that doesn't mean I view her enthusiastic attempts to greet a person that doesn't want a dog touching them as acceptable. The report that the snow groomer failed to recall the dogs when asked and was dismissive of those requests is the key problem in my view.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 10:36 am 
Roly Poly wrote:
That WTA report is ludicrous and deeply disturbing. The woman clearly has mental health issues. Give me a break! Suggesting that a dog sniffing her nether regions is assault or rape. That is so far out of bounds and untethered from sanity. I saw the WHC version and it was quickly removed by the admins. In short, the WTA report is DSM 5 crazy!
The reason this thread is such a dumpster fire is everybody is at one extreme or the other. It's either "kill dogs if you want to" or "dogs can do no harm because I like them." When I was a kid, people used to smoke cigarettes in restaurants and airplanes. That was a problem for a lot of people, but smokers refused to give an inch and today they aren't allowed to smoke within 25 feet of a door or window. I don't know that "my dog likes to jump on people and you're going to take it" is a winning attitude in the long term.

uww, Randito, Mountainpines
feta cheese

feta cheese
PostSat Mar 18, 2023 4:47 am 
People dont want their crotch sniffed at all. Keep your effing dogs off the trails! They are a hazard to wildlife.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Mar 18, 2023 5:47 am 
feta cheese wrote:
People dont want their crotch sniffed at all. Keep your effing dogs off the trails! They are a hazard to wildlife.
Hazard to wildlife? How about all morons shut their effing mouths? They are a hazard to sanity.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Mar 18, 2023 9:28 am 
feta cheese wrote:
Please rewrite this comment in the form of a haiku.

catsp

catsp
PostSat Mar 18, 2023 3:41 pm 
Sniff me not damned cur! Nor hazard your wild betters. Trails are not your place. and Speak not cursed fool. You threaten my sanity, When I just want love.

Cyclopath, vogtski, RumiDude  Roly Poly, fourteen410
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSat Mar 18, 2023 5:32 pm 
Catsp, brilliant, absolutely brilliant!🤣😂😊

Cyclopath