Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 16, 2023 11:20 pm 
Hesman wrote:
Something similar happened to me at Dungeness Spit NWR. I show my pass and the person said I still needed to pay and if I didn’t I could get arrested and spend 6 months in the federal pen. This was a volunteer who told me this. Long story short, I called the Dungeness Spit office and told them what happened and was apologized to about the incident. There’s a post I did about the incident somewhere on NWHikers that gives the full story.
Too me it sounds like that volunteer was skimming gate revenue into their pocket. When there is cash around, people can get pretty creative. I was in a curry joint in NYC a while back getting takeout. The woman running the register would swipe the customer's card and then say H'mm it didn't go through, we been having trouble with the machine, can you pay cash? Except it did go through and she was pocketing the cash. Next month she was gone from that curry joint .

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Mar 16, 2023 11:40 pm 
Even the Feds now won't take their own "legal tender". Great. This could probably be contested somehow, somewhere. Another step closer to a "cashless" society. Even with cash machines all over the place, people have been convinced that it's just too "inconvenient". That's what the gov't and the corporations want - every single transaction you do is tracked. We (or should I say "you") will be sorry someday. huh.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

Chief Joseph, vogtski
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 9:28 am 
Hesman wrote:
I paid for my current car with cash; it was a used car in excellent condition and had enough money in the bank to pay cash. I didn’t want to have 4 years of loan payments.
I've paid for cars outright to avoid being stuck in golden shackles, but never with cash, always electronically. Cash isn't really safe.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 9:43 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
Even with cash machines all over the place, people have been convinced that it's just too "inconvenient".
A trucker who flew into Phoenix’s Sky Harbor Airport with $39,500 in cash with the intention of buying a semi-truck – only to have police confiscate the money – not only has won an appeal in his case – he’s also being credited as the incentive for a new state law protecting citizens’ cash. Link People are right!

Chief Joseph
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 9:47 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
Even the Feds now won't take their own "legal tender". Great. This could probably be contested somehow, somewhere.
They will, you just have to go to a different location to pay for a pass paid for with cash. Not convenient, but not illegal.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 9:55 am 
Relax, people. Conspiracy theories, frivolous lawsuits, and outrage aside, it's probably simply that someone having an employee to account for the cash, get it to a safe, then to the bank, is a hassle and may need another layer of pay grade barriers. Or perhaps having cash laying around is a safety risk to the employees that around near the pile of dough. If there is no cash, the possibility of someone harming an employee to get the case is a little less that it was before.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 10:38 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Private sales, poker and other card games for money, massage parlors...
Legitimate massage businesses take cards, what kind of "massage" parlors are you going to? eek.gif

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 11:12 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
[i]A trucker who flew into Phoenix’s Sky Harbor Airport with $39,500 in cash with the intention of buying a semi-truck – only to have police confiscate the money
Now that's kind of an extreme example ... and really stupid on his part. There has to be a backstory - like the cash was from a drug deal, or some such.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 11:41 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Cash isn't really safe.
True in many respects. But neither are electronic transfers, in other respects. I'm fairly certain the latter dangers are greater, all things considered.

Anne Elk
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 12:08 pm 
texasbb wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
Cash isn't really safe.
True in many respects. But neither are electronic transfers, in other respects. I'm fairly certain the latter dangers are greater, all things considered.
Electronic transfers are subject to fraud, which IME the bank has refunded my account. whereas carrying larges sums of cash when stolen isn't recoverable and you may incure great bodily harm if you resist surrendering your cash. When I travel in areas where cash is the predominant form of payment, I carry a 1 day amount in my primary wallet, but carry the remainder in secondary wallets. In the US, cash deposits or transactions of $10,000 or more are subject to inspection and auditing by the DEA and other federal officials. So of course criminals make $9999 deposits.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 12:23 pm 
texasbb wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
Cash isn't really safe.
If you include cryptocurrency, then I'll agree with you. But Rainier doesn't accept crypto for entry fees. Bank accounts are insured and regulated and if somebody can take your money wrongly the bank will refund it for you.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 12:29 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Now that's kind of an extreme example ... and really stupid on his part. There has to be a backstory - like the cash was from a drug deal, or some such.
I agree that using cash is a bad idea. We consider cash inherently suspicious because we all know it's necessary for crime and not necessary for wholesome activities generally. Chris Rock said there's no positive reason to need cash at 3 am, about ATM machines. It's no wonder most of the public prefers not to use cash anymore.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 4:49 pm 
Hesman wrote:
I think, for a lot of people, it’s a quicker way to pay using a credit/debit card. I have noticed it’s even quicker doing contactless payment.
Considering how long it can take to get through the entry gates and into the park, this sounds like a very good thing. smile.gif

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 4:56 pm 
All the people chiming in about their pass getting them in the gate and this is just fine with them apparently haven't used the campgrounds. Unless you've reserved and paid online you have to pay some other way, unless you can get a phone signal to be able to pay online on the spot. I'm not going to write all my credit card info with my CVV code and all my other personal information and drop it into an unattended box. I carry a few checks for that purpose. State Parks & developed campgrounds with showers use tokens for those but you have to get those tokens from a machine on the side of the building that takes dollar bills. I always end up with extra tokens.

Cyclopath, Anne Elk, mosey
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 6:45 pm 
Schroder wrote:
unless you can get a phone signal to be able to pay online on the spot.
Coming soon to Cougar Rock, Ohanapecosh, and White River, WiFi , just so you can pay using VenMo.