Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 7:32 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I'm not going to write all my credit card info with my CVV code and all my other personal information and drop it into an unattended box.
Seriously, please don't. Everybody. A few checks for the purpose is a good idea. Satellite internet will probably make this a non issue in a few years.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yorknl

yorknl
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 8:31 pm 
OK. Sure, cash is sometimes involved with crime, drugs, massages, etc. It's also used to buy newspapers, lunch, rubber erasers, groceries, soda, freeze-dried meals, cans of isopropane fuel, earplugs, and on and on. No, really, it's true - some people not living in history museums DO use these cash for everyday transactions, with zero chance of identity theft! I don't really appreciate the NPS or anyone else pushing their security issues onto the rest of us. Others have already pointed out the absence of wisdom for dropping credit card into into a box at campgrounds; it's a valid concern, and I don't really like the idea of writing checks much either unless there's a way to do it without the account number on one. I also think discouraging access for the unbanked and others without plastic is a subtle form of discrimination. "Sorry, you'll have to turn around and drive to (wherever) to buy a card" isn't very welcoming. UNFORTUNATELY THOUGH... A couple of people have mentioned the hypocrisy of a US Government agency not accepting cash issued by, effectively, the US Government. Note though the mention of "....all debts, public and private" on currency. If you're outside the pay station, you owe no debt to the NPS and they're not obligated to let you in unless you pay on their terms. The same logic applies to Dick's or wherever else - if they haven't given you food, there's no debt and cash can be declined.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 9:37 pm 
Up until maybe half a dozen years ago I used cash for nearly everything, I only started using CCArds to get the points to earn cash back. But I get 2-3% so the establishments charging 4% on card purchases are smart imo. Although if I am drinking in the bar I think I save money paying cash instead of a card, since I usually pay as I go, so no big surprise at the end of the night.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 9:53 pm 
yorknl wrote:
A couple of people have mentioned the hypocrisy of a US Government agency not accepting cash issued by, effectively, the US Government. Note though the mention of "....all debts, public and private" on currency. If you're outside the pay station, you owe no debt to the NPS and they're not obligated to let you in unless you pay on their terms. The same logic applies to Dick's or wherever else - if they haven't given you food, there's no debt and cash can be declined.
That's a fine but interesting line drawn there. Basically you are saying that no debt is incurred until a transaction has been agreed to, and a vendor, in this case the NPS, can refuse to enter into a transaction except on payment means and terms of its choosing.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Mar 18, 2023 5:57 am 
Only criminals are “unbanked” against their will. People need to stop sympathizing with criminals, drug addicts and morons. Also, it is a stupid lie to say this is the security problem of the institution that won’t accept the cash. Sorry, it is the criminal scum who you love that cause the issue, not the victims.

yorknl

yorknl
PostSat Mar 18, 2023 6:46 am 
Thank you Slugman for calling me a moron and a lover of crime. What else do you know about me that I don't?

neek

neek
PostSat Mar 18, 2023 7:24 am 
yorknl wrote:
Thank you Slugman for calling me a moron and a lover of crime. What else do you know about me that I don't?
The misanthropic mollusc strikes again! It's a rite of passage around here, consider it a badge of honor. What you said was perfectly valid. What's stupid is relying on a vast and complex electronic network to get into a national park. What happens when it goes down? And the article does say that a small number of visitors will be excluded.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Mar 18, 2023 9:55 am 
neek wrote:
What's stupid is relying on a vast and complex electronic network to get into a national park. What happens when it goes down?
If the money system collapses, not being able to take selfies in wildflower meadows will be the least of anybody's concern. We actually know exactly what it looks like when that goes down, because it's happened in recent history. People can't buy food without money, and stop caring about national park attendance. https://darknetdiaries.com/episode/54/

Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostSat Mar 18, 2023 10:12 am 
When the electronic money network goes down people with cash will be taking selfies in wildflower meadows.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Mar 18, 2023 10:19 am 
Ummm..what miso throw pic?...some soup?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Mar 18, 2023 10:54 am 
Stefan-K wrote:
When the electronic money network goes down people with cash will be taking selfies in wildflower meadows.
Not really because when the electronic money network goes down gas stations won't be able to get more gas to sell cash people until electric money is back up, and that's not just gas stations.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Mar 18, 2023 10:56 am 
catsp wrote:
State v Johnson
My observation is this: if it's automatically suspicious to pay for business assets with cash (it is), then it's no wonder we're headed for a cashless society. It's a big part of why. Everybody knows it isn't the semi truck that makes it suspicious, it's the cash. If you disagree, say why.

neek

neek
PostSat Mar 18, 2023 11:11 am 
forest gnome wrote:
Good point! In Washington you can only buy weed with cash. (But you can't take it into a national park.)

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Mar 18, 2023 1:19 pm 
neek wrote:
forest gnome wrote:
Good point! In Washington you can only buy weed with cash. (But you can't take it into a national park.)
That needs to change, there have been many robberies and even murders at weed shops, due to so much cash on hand.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostSat Mar 18, 2023 9:19 pm 
The appeal of plastic notwithstanding, using cash means: I can easily complete my transaction when the power is off or the network is down; Nobody is tracking what I bought, when i bought it, or drawing conclusions as to why, whatever their intent; The vendor gets 100% of purchase price. The banking system is not scraping a swipe fee off each transaction; For those with limited means, no plastic means no bank charges for small accounts; Crooks and scammers do not have a direct pipeline into my CC account or worse into my checking account; I do not have a confusing array of small charges on bank statements to reconcile; And a couple of other things I'm sure. Cash isn't perfect. It's 'bearer' money; lose it and it's gone. But I think I'd face cheaper and less hassle dropping a hundred dollar bill and losing it than losing a credit card. And cash poses a risk to the vendor as well with all receipts at risk until they hit the bank. I can't recall the entrance station to MNRP being held up lately. Debit is even worse; lots of overdrafts occur because people don't record debit transactions in a register like is done with checks and many debit charges in my experience only made it to the statement months after they were made. I went through a phase of heavy debit card use because as with cash payment I like to get my pleasure and pain at the same moment; I hate owing money. But I had too many weird debit card experiences, especially with small vendors, and I hardly ever use one any more.