Forum Index > Gear Talk > Satellite messaging to Android phones
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Wawhiker

Wawhiker
PostFri Jan 06, 2023 10:13 am 
Qualcomm partners with Iridium to bring satellite messaging to Android phones - 1/5/2023 For the past several CESes, Qualcomm’s big announcements have largely revolved around automotive news. There will likely still be a fair bit of that this week, as well, but the company just announced an upcoming mobile feature in this down time between the Snapdragon Summit and MWC. The Southern California chipmaker is partnering with Iridium to bring satellite messaging to select Android devices, starting with those running its new flagship SoC, Snapdragon 8 Gen 2. The technology utilizes the 5G Modem-RF Systems on the Qualcomm hardware, coupled with Iridium’s satellite constellation to deliver emergency messaging, following in the recent footsteps of Apple and T-Mobile. Garmin is in the mix here, as well, adding support by way of its Response feature built atop the Iridium network for emergency messages in remote locations where no carrier coverage exists. That technology was built with hikers in mind, though certainly there are plenty of other scenarios in which such SOS features could prove a literal life saver. “Garmin Response supports thousands of SOS incidents each year and has likely saved many lives in the process,” Garmin VP Brad Trenkle says in a release, “and we are looking forward to collaborating with Qualcomm Technologies and Iridium to help people connect to emergency services no matter where life takes them.” Applications include two-way emergency texting and messaging applications beyond SMS, using Iridium’s L-band. With today’s news, Qualcomm is opening access to the feature up to OEMs. The first batch of smartphones to get the feature will be arriving this year. I’d anticipate some more concrete announcements on that front right around MWC. Source: https://techcrunch.com/2023/01/05/qualcomm-partners-with-iridium-to-bring-satellite-messaging-to-android-phones/

Navy salad, Cyclopath
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
thewildcat
Life in Chacos

thewildcat
Life in Chacos
PostSun Mar 19, 2023 7:13 pm 
Between it, Motorola's Inmarsat system and that thing Elon Musk promised a couple weeks ago but likely won't deliver upon, perhaps Garmin will finally be given a run for their money. Remember the awkward position NSAT&T found themselves in after divestiture when the competitive long distance business exploded in the late '80s? Yeah, it's that again. Garmin, at present, effectively have a virtual monopoly over the satellite text messaging market, but not for much longer. (Yeah, there's Spot, but who even uses that?) Eventually they'll realise they seriously need to consider lowering their absurdly high Inreach service fees, if they intend to stay competitive as the well-heeled incumbent.

If no one arrives from the future to stop you, how bad an idea could it be? oregonhikers.org: wildcat
JimmyBob

JimmyBob
PostTue Mar 21, 2023 11:50 am 
T-Mobile will test their data service to Starlink satellites this year. It will work with all of their cell phones, as it is uses existing PCS LTE bands. AT&T and VZW are working towards the same. InReach/Zoleo/etc will have trouble keeping relevant.

huron

huron
PostFri Nov 10, 2023 11:24 am 
This deal is now off in an announcement today. Could be a while longer for Android.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Nov 10, 2023 11:23 pm 
So... any other android phones (other than those with the qcom chip) coming out next year that have 2 way sat texting? Havent heard much lately. I'd love to consolidate my inreach into my phone... not even for the money i just want to get rid of yet another device i have to keep track of.

Wawhiker

Wawhiker
PostSat Nov 11, 2023 6:54 am 
https://www.androidpolice.com/wait-for-android-phones-satellite-connectivity-got-longer/ ...bottom line, this article suggests... "This delay means we are unlikely to see an Android phone launch this year with satellite connectivity. But hopefully, Qualcomm and device makers can work out a solution by H2 2024. Until then, if you want a phone with satellite connectivity, consider getting the Motorola Defy Satellite Link, a Bluetooth accessory that can add satellite connectivity to your phone."

mike

mike
PostSat Nov 11, 2023 10:10 am 
wawhiker wrote:
Until then, if you want a phone with satellite connectivity, consider getting the Motorola Defy Satellite Link, a Bluetooth accessory that can add satellite connectivity to your phone."
I brought this up in another thread and determined that the Defy wouldn't work very well without a low angle view of the southern sky. Pretty much rules it out.

thewildcat
Life in Chacos

thewildcat
Life in Chacos
PostThu Jan 25, 2024 9:37 pm 
Quote:
This deal is now off in an announcement today. Could be a while longer for Android.
Well, that sucks. Next on my to-do list: try to sideload the Garmin Messenger APK onto my Kyocera Dura XV Extreme.....

If no one arrives from the future to stop you, how bad an idea could it be? oregonhikers.org: wildcat
Wawhiker

Wawhiker
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 6:56 am 
Still in the works, though one year later - Google Backs Starlink Rival AST SpaceMobile for Android Satellite Support - 1/19/24 "The partnership could help the Android ecosystem counter Apple’s “Emergency SOS” satellite connectivity for iPhones, which lets the user send text messages to emergency services when no cellular connection is nearby." https://www.pcmag.com/news/google-backs-starlink-rival-ast-spacemobile-for-android-satellite-support

Wawhiker

Wawhiker
PostMon Mar 04, 2024 8:25 am 
‘Satellite SOS’ starts appearing on Google Pixel phones – here’s what it will do https://9to5google.com/2024/03/02/google-pixel-satellite-sos-feature/

huron

huron
PostMon Mar 04, 2024 8:57 am 
Thanks. Confirmed Pixel 7 with Android 14 has the menu item. Like the article says, it does nothing currently. The mention of a test feature is welcoming, but ideally, I'd like to be able to send a message to friends/family responders rather than emergency services. If something really bad happens to me in the backcountry, it's likely that I won't be able to press a button. What is much more likely is that there is trouble with the car at a trailhead or a harmless but long delay that would worry family.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Mar 04, 2024 11:03 am 
I have had an in reach for years mostly I have just told relatives we are ok. I reported a fresh lightning caused fire in Oregon and was told it had already been reported. That’s it

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Mar 04, 2024 12:52 pm 
We used our Inreach SOS when we found a dead person in Death Valley. The process worked really well. Now we have a backup with the newer iPhone.

Cyclopath
mike

mike
PostMon Mar 04, 2024 1:30 pm 
huron

huron
PostMon Mar 04, 2024 2:02 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
We used our Inreach SOS when we found a dead person
Curious what happened after service was rendered. I've always wondered if you use the SOS to call in a rescue for someone else and there is an attempt to bill for service, who would be on the hook for it? I don't think they charge around PNW, but did anyone ask you to pay in CA?