Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostSat Jan 07, 2023 8:01 am 
Thanks for posting these recent trips to the foothills? Dumpster dives? Not sure what to call these little guys! All stuff near home and I love seeing what they look like without having to go. smile.gif

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSat Jan 07, 2023 4:45 pm 
They seem a lot less like dumpster dives on a bicycle. The ride down is always the most rewarding part of the trip.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 10, 2023 9:47 pm 
Went from old tent camp 4 to WT2 via K3 and Marats Bridge, quite a few blowdowns on K3 one of which was tricky to get around. Sunny and beautiful on top. Once we got into clearcut it was a howling gale 30-40 knots. Hid behind a shipping container for lunch. Talked to a guy who was removing tagging for Fatass Run who advised. WT3 instead of Preston. Windy to WT3 summit, chose to go down cable line to junction with WT3. Then down WT3 to lower junction and cable line to road to avoid wind. Lower cable line surprisingly good not much mud and not too skiddy. Dumpster dive par execellance.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Now I Fly, zimmertr
Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostFri Jan 13, 2023 6:53 pm 
RichP wrote:
Vintage Stump Jumper on Blue Mtn
Vintage Stump Jumper on Blue Mtn
'86/'87 very cool! love old mountain bikes!

KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 2:28 pm 
Lake Isabel - 2/4/23. I have always wondered why I don't see more winter trips up to Isabel. We didn't solve that particular mystery yesterday but we did manage to have a lot of fun. The weather cleared up just in time for us to catch some great views of Index and Persis on the way down.

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

jaysway, RichP, zimmertr, JimK
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSun Feb 05, 2023 7:20 pm 
KascadeFlat wrote:
I have always wondered why I don't see more winter trips up to Isabel.
Last time I went to Lake Isabel it was somewhat wintery, but Cookie and I came back to find out our car broken in and broken glass everywhere inside the car. Too many bad people live in Sultan, there are always shotgun shells and broken glass around the pull-out areas.

KascadeFlat
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostWed Feb 08, 2023 9:58 pm 
Lake Elizabeth.

ALW Hiker, jaysway, KascadeFlat, Chief Joseph, Now I Fly, awilsondc
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Feb 09, 2023 12:02 am 
Roly Poly wrote:
Many great photos on this trip. The view here is stunning in this light. ~z

Chief Joseph
wyattmullen
Wyatt

wyattmullen
Wyatt
PostMon Feb 20, 2023 6:06 pm 
I moved up to Marblemount recently and was looking for places to possibly ski tour in the area. I saw the logging road heading up the south face of Marblemount Peak and wondered if it would provide adequate access to the alpine. I'm not sure I would recommend this as a ski tour to anyone, but it was a cool experience to explore a little known area this past Saturday (2/20). It's about 3.5 miles and 2,000' up the logging road from Cascade River Road until you begin the bushwhack (at a clearcut where the road ends around 2,600'). A couple inches of recent snow started at 2,000', but it wasn't enough to skin along the road and certainly wasn't enough to ski in the forest. The forest was mostly open although there was a touch of dormant devils club and some slide alder to navigate around. I put on my skis at 3,200' and did some more gymnastics until about 3,600' when the snow got deep enough to enjoy the skinning. At 4,200' the trees really start to thin and some steepish glades emerge (30-40º) which I skinned up. Definitely some old avy evidence so you'd want to really pick your path carefully with unstable snow, but the snow felt pretty solid going up. I reached the ridge just before 5,000' and then skinned through the undulating terrain for about a mile passing over the LOJ Peak 5,260 along the way. The summit is treed, but there are some openings for views mostly to the north, but it was completely clouded in while I was up there. I was behind schedule so I skinned back to where I had gained the ridge and then had about a thousand feet of decent skiing before the bushwhack and too many miles in ski boots. 12.6 miles, 5,100' gain, 6.5 hours elapsed
Snowy open areas on the ridge
Snowy open areas on the ridge
Snowy trees
Snowy trees
Some nice rime on the trees
Some nice rime on the trees
Not super fun to ski through this
Not super fun to ski through this
Decent clear cut view from the end of the logging road
Decent clear cut view from the end of the logging road

jaysway, KascadeFlat, Now I Fly, awilsondc, RichP, JimK, Chief Joseph
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Feb 21, 2023 7:05 am 
kitya wrote:
KascadeFlat wrote:
I have always wondered why I don't see more winter trips up to Isabel.
Last time I went to Lake Isabel it was somewhat wintery, but Cookie and I came back to find out our car broken in and broken glass everywhere inside the car. Too many bad people live in Sultan, there are always shotgun shells and broken glass around the pull-out areas.
It's not that bad people in live in Sultan (bad generalization). You just picked an area where bad people drive to and hang out. You will find the locals have just as much respect if not more for other people's property.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 24, 2023 2:37 pm 
Poo Poo Bluebird

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

jaysway, KascadeFlat, Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 8:12 am 
Our plans were to do Hex, but with I-90 closed we opted for South Bessemer. We all agreed, South Bessemer is a much longer day than Hex!
Cheers, B!

jaysway, puzzlr, zimmertr, KascadeFlat, RichP, awilsondc
jaysway

jaysway
PostWed Mar 22, 2023 12:41 pm 
Now I Fly, I have shamelessly taken inspiration from you and decided to head up to South Bessemer yesterday evening for sunset. There is continuous snow on the road starting at about 2K'. This hike has relatively little avalanche danger, especially if you leave the road at around 4,400'. I ran into one group maybe a mile and half up the road but otherwise was alone. I did see a couple sets of animal eyes reflecting in my headlamp on the way down less than a mile from the gate. Seeing animals at night is my least favorite thing about hiking at night because I am always worried it's going to be a cougar. I'm fairly certain I saw deer, but the brief glimpse I got of one of these creatures after they left the trail it looked shorter and more muscular like a cougar, but I feel like my mind was projecting what I was worried about and honestly I didn't get a good look. This place has surprisingly great views for being so close to Seattle. Next time, I want to do this earlier in the winter when the snow level is lower.

Fedor, Anne Elk, Bootpathguy, Now I Fly, awilsondc, Roly Poly, RichP, zimmertr
catsp

catsp
PostWed Mar 22, 2023 7:19 pm 
Few days ago on Granite

jaysway
neek

neek
PostWed Mar 22, 2023 9:18 pm 
catsp wrote:
Few days ago on Granite
Interesting, I wonder if these tracks (probably have to zoom in) I saw on Tuesday are yours