Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Find a place in your heart to pick up litter!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Mar 18, 2023 8:23 pm 
Another haul today at the Arboretum area. 2.5 hours of digging beer cans out of the muddy bottom, and fishing up plastic bags and other crap. Plus 2 hours of regular paddling, and an hour round trip to drag the canoe on wheels from the Graham visitor center to Foster point.

Now I Fly, zimmertr, Waterman, neek
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Mar 19, 2023 8:50 am 
Slugman....I deeply appreciate your efforts as I am a frequent user of those areas. I hope your volunteerism stimulates more people to spend some time to clean up our public areas and show some appreciation for them by curbing their trashing of areas. Many many thanks and keep up the good work. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")

Slugman
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Mar 20, 2023 1:41 am 
Please don’t quote that horrid sky hiker. He’s not even capable of reading the title of this thread before posting. The thread asks people to pick up trash, not to stop littering. His trashing of this thread is therefore doubly ridiculous. Then he posts the nonsense that you can’t pick up trash if you are too stupid to take action against a disease. What kind of person attacks a thread asking people to pick up litter?

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Mar 20, 2023 10:38 am 
Slugman…Thank you for your community service. You are not alone with your efforts. For several years now when I go biking I pick up the cans/bottles/what-nots that I pass along the way. My circuit is Newport Way, Lakemont, and Coal Creek Parkway. Each year hundreds upon hundreds of things are picked up. The photo shows you the recyclables collected this past week.

Now I Fly
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Mar 21, 2023 2:05 pm 
Sky Hiker wrote:
We used to pick up liter along highway 2 by Sky.
Thank you! up.gif

crock

crock
PostWed Mar 22, 2023 9:53 am 
Thank you to all who pick up garbage in the wilderness or in a local park or wherever. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Cyclopath
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 22, 2023 2:14 pm 
Snowy gathers trash from the neighborhood park and brings it to be rounded up and thrown away.

Now I Fly  Anne Elk
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Mar 23, 2023 12:15 am 
Slugman - it appears that on some of your forays you collect a considerable amount of trash. What do you do with it afterward? My own trash can wouldn't be large enough to hold all of that plus the trash from my household, some weeks. Also - any idea what's up with the big tennis ball haul? Is there a dog park nearby the river?
RichP wrote:
I was out on Lake Cavanaugh Rd yesterday north of Oso. You'd need a big ole truck to haul the garbage out of there. What the heck are people thinking?
Illegal trash dumping is a common problem on low-use rural road areas. Anyone too cheap to take their old tires, furniture and just plain garbage to the dump. Quite a few years back I worked on a trash cleanup day up the Mt. Loop Highway organized by the board members of the Stillaguamish Citizens' Alliance. We focused on the long dead-end road that ran up the south side of the river just past the blue bridge (that road washed out some years ago after winter floods and I think it was decided not to repair it). I couldn't believe the stuff people dumped, including old PC's.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri Mar 24, 2023 8:19 am 
Great Work Slugman, I applaud you on the effort to make the outdoors a better place. It's amazing that people will go out of their way just to litter than just going to a transfer station. I would rather they dump it off in my yard than dumping it in the woods where I end up climbing down the bank to haul trash bags of it up to my vehicle. up.gif

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Mar 24, 2023 12:17 pm 
Sky Hiker wrote:
It's amazing that people will go out of their way just to litter than just going to a transfer station.
It's about the dump fee. Some people won't, or can't afford to pay. They don't even think about the consequences of littering and don't care. As it is, I get enraged when I see the incidental litter on trails. Or even in the city, for that matter. Those old TV PSA's about "don't be a litterbug" probably would have minimal impact today. My folks used to yell at us, "Pick that up! You didn't grow up in barn!" Which of course was an insult to farmyard animals and rural folk.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Mar 24, 2023 1:52 pm 
I don't know about the dump fee being the issue so much. I see them all the time with truck beds full going up to Sky to dump in the transfer station. If it's closed they aren't about to haul it back down so in the woods it goes. Sky started having a transfer station monitor incoming. Before that they would dump a whole load for $30. Now is the time when old RV's, trailers make their way up the valley to be abandoned.

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Mar 29, 2023 2:32 pm 
I drove from Seattle to Hood Canal last weekend via I-5 then over the Narrows and down around the Great Bend. Litter the whole !@$%* way though it eased up somewhat (not completely) along Hood Canal. I've bugged my legislators about this many times but I thought I'd read up on what the efforts are. I was kind of placated to see how many agencies are involved in picking up litter, and that the Dept of Ecology, the lead agency, gets how it affects people. The biggest source is unsecured loads, which also leads to crashes. $8.5 million spent last year, litter picked up along 22K of WA roads according to WSOT. Yet it's still so bad. Lots of info here if anyone is interested: https://ecology.wa.gov/Waste-Toxics/Solid-waste-litter/Litter The litter prevention part of that link is interesting. It's hard to make litterers care and they try to be really specific about how they do it.

RichP
RichP

RichP
PostFri Mar 31, 2023 5:30 am 
I sent a message to the litter administrator for the corresponding region where I saw this on Lake Cavanaugh Rd yesterday. Kiliki's link provides contacts that connect to a host of agencies that address illegal dumping. The pile is growing as "trash begets trash."

timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Mar 31, 2023 12:39 pm 
Were you able to get it all in your car?

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Apr 04, 2023 9:24 pm 
3 1/2 hours in the Arboretum today, digging trash out of the branches and pricker bushes along the shore, and up off the bottom. 4 1/2 hours total in the boat. I got scratched up pretty bad including my face, my boat was covered in twigs, sticks, branches, leaves, mud and spiders. But I scoured all the shoreline south of 520 including all the islands. I saw geese, mallards, mergansers, coots, cormorants, herons, turtles and beaver.

RichP