Forum Index > Trip Reports > Granite-West Granite Winter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostWed Mar 08, 2023 8:55 am 
This is mainly a conditions report. As per usual, traveling between the trail and Treeline was a chore, especially near tree line. Conditions improved above the trees. The ridge had hard snow and ice on yesterdays trip. Crampons and axe (mountaineering boots). There was big wind making for a wonderful alpine experience. One could get cold fast if not prepared. The cornices at the summit, and west ridge, are impressive. Maybe as large as I've seen up there. They've grown in both directions this season, but still mainly from the south. I switched to snowshoes at the saddle and kept them on until I hit The Pratt Lake trail near Lake Olallie. Fun day in sometimes challenging conditions. Side note. I'm not a fan of traveling the summer route/trail in the winter. (i never do that) This Spring in particular. Our recent storms came through with plenty of wind and the steep slopes one travels under (on the summer trail) are loaded.
Also, I found a nice pair of gloves between West Granite and Lake Olallie. I would love to get them back to their owner. Stay safe out there, Cheers B!

ozzy, Tom, John Mac, RichP, GaliWalker, Fedor, awilsondc, ChinookPass, thunderhead, zimmertr, Cyclopath, reststep  KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DadFly

DadFly
PostWed Mar 08, 2023 3:27 pm 
Beautiful pics! The south face of Granite is almost always avalanche prone in winter. Please consider your route carefully.

"May you live in interesting times"

Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostWed Mar 08, 2023 6:33 pm 
DadFly wrote:
The south face of Granite is almost always avalanche prone in winter. Please consider your route carefully.
Such excellent advice. Truly. I'm always surprised to see this route in Dan A. Nelsons (Mountaineer sponsored) "Snowshoe Routes-Washington (Second Edition)". It does classify the route as "Backcountry". Backcountry is described in the front of the book as " These routes require complete competence in winter survival skills, avalanche and snow condition evaluation, and some basic mountaineering skills." In addition to avalanche danger, there is regularly hard ice and snow on this classic route. The front points were used yesterday. The risk of a long slide on hard snow are very real (especially in the Spring). Be safe, and don't get in over your head. Cheers B.

zeldathewelder
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Mar 10, 2023 12:26 pm 
Now I Fly wrote:
Cool shot!

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

Now I Fly, Kascadia
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Mar 23, 2023 8:50 am 
Just a heads up. A hole has opened up on the traverse to the saddle. Maybe fifty yards west of Granites summit. Not something you want to have to climb out of.

thunderhead
neek

neek
PostThu Mar 23, 2023 9:06 am 
Yikes, did you run across my track from Tuesday? Surprised to see only one set of prints in your pic. I imagine that will all get filled in today/tomorrow.

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Mar 23, 2023 9:45 am 
neek wrote:
Yikes, did you run across my track from Tuesday?
I did. I could see the hole as I approached and it and made my way around it. Spent some time opening it up a bit. It's deep, and narrow. Possibly a bergschrund opening up as that massive cornice begins to sag? Looks like you were able to snowshoe up the ridge (winter route). Much firmer conditions yesterday on the SW face route. Sweet "hero snow" so crampons the whole way up.
Hey, thanks for the track up West Granite! So nice! Saved me enough energy that I was able to make to Pratt. smile.gif Cheers B!

neek
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostWed Mar 29, 2023 3:41 pm 
Now I Fly wrote:
Just a heads up. A hole has opened up on the traverse to the saddle. Maybe fifty yards west of Granites summit. Not something you want to have to climb out of.
B
Neek, you were right. Our last storm partially covered this hole. I received a message from a friend who stepped/fell into this same deep hole today. Over their head, with snow coming in on top of them. Was able to climb out. With our cornices much large than an average year, standard routes have become distorted. Good to think about while traveling high routes along I-90 for the rest of the Spring. Safe travels, B

zimmertr
neek

neek
PostWed Mar 29, 2023 6:59 pm 
Now I Fly wrote:
I received a message from a friend who stepped/fell into this same deep hole today. Over their head, with snow coming in on top of them.
Saw that, yikes. And more snow on the way.

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostMon Jun 12, 2023 5:12 pm 
It's been interesting to watch this section melt out. Good lesson, I think.

jaysway
jaysway

jaysway
PostMon Jun 12, 2023 5:49 pm 
Now I Fly wrote:
It's been interesting to watch this section melt out. Good lesson, I think.
Wow, I wouldn't have expected from the winter photo that the cornice extended all that way. It's interesting to see that the hole you had mentioned earlier looks like it was from that rock? A good lesson indeed!

Now I Fly