Forum Index > Trail Talk > North Cascades - Early-Access Lottery
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 9:37 am 
https://www.recreation.gov/permits/4675322 Anyone have any experience with this? Ends tonight at 9pm I guess. I imagine it's not as competitive as the Enchantments lottery. Which trails are people after with the early registration? Was considering checking out Horseshoe Basin, which I imagine is not super popular. But also considering Casecade Pass to Stehekin (from that other thread), which I imagine IS quite popular.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 9:47 am 
Pelton Basin is extremely popular, the rest of the Cascade Pass to Stehekin hike is much less competition. Pelton is ideal for people going to Stehekin, Sahale, starting the Ptarmigan the following day or Trapper Lake etc. In my experience the boat camps on Ross Lake are what most of the people in line at 7 am at the WIC are trying for. I don't know if they're covered by this but if so that's my best guess.

KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostFri Mar 17, 2023 6:45 pm 
Thanks for the reminder! Just entered. I promise I won't take any of the good sites if I win. cool.gif

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostMon Mar 20, 2023 8:51 am 
I ended up entering, too. Good luck!

KascadeFlat
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Mar 22, 2023 11:00 pm 
Too hard to ubtain permits these days.

lefthand

lefthand
PostFri Mar 24, 2023 2:25 pm 
I got a later early access slot in mid-April, anyone else have some luck?

KascadeFlat
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Mar 24, 2023 2:55 pm 
One of my buddies got 4/4. Hopefully that means we should be early enough to reserve what we want with exception of the big ticket items like Sahale Glacier Camp? I'm thinking about an itinerary traversing from Hannegan Pass to Stehekin.

Flickr | Strava

jaysway, KascadeFlat
Asplorin

Asplorin
PostFri Mar 24, 2023 2:59 pm 
Mid April slot. Wonder what I can get with that. No time this summer for a big trip anyway.

KascadeFlat
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostFri Mar 24, 2023 3:08 pm 
I got mid April too. Luckily my criteria are pretty simple: Must have lake for packrafting. I am interested to see what is still available!

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

zimmertr
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Mar 24, 2023 3:35 pm 
We got skunked frown.gif well there is always Glacier Peak WA.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

KascadeFlat
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostFri Mar 24, 2023 4:11 pm 
Skunked as well! Bummer.

KascadeFlat
jaysway

jaysway
PostSat Mar 25, 2023 8:40 am 
zimmertr wrote:
One of my buddies got 4/4. Hopefully that means we should be early enough to reserve what we want with exception of the big ticket items like Sahale Glacier Camp? I'm thinking about an itinerary traversing from Hannegan Pass to Stehekin.
zimmertr, apologies if I am repeating information that you already know, but with the Chilliwack closure for this year the only way to get from Hannegan to Stehekin is to go over Ruth. Here is a map of the closure: https://www.nps.gov/noca/planyourvisit/upload/Chilliwack_Closure_Map_2023_V1_508.pdf. The Tapto XC zone is closed for the season, although it appears that the other XC zones typically accessed from the closed portions of the trail are open but cannot be accessed from the closed trails. For anyone doing Pickets traverses I suppose the options are to turn around at Easy Pass and retrace your steps, or to climb over Mineral and Ruth to exit at Hannegan Pass. A neat alternative could be to start at the PCT northern terminus and make your way to Stehekin. You wouldn't have to follow the PCT the whole way, you could branch off to Jackita Ridge and scramble up Crater, and then continue to go over Park Creek Pass?

zimmertr
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Mar 25, 2023 11:19 am 
Good info @jaysway! Neek more-or-less said the same thing to me yesterday as well. A water taxi to Little Beaver could still salvage the idea though. Has anyone ever backpacked this approximate route? https://caltopo.com/m/0JP0B Obviously the grandeur of NCNP is in the alpine. But my friends who won the permit are Midwesterners and lack the ability and experience to really take advantage of something like that. Only about ~15 miles of this ~110 mile route climb above 5,000'. ~10 of which are in the closure area. smile.gif So it sounds like this would be an 8 day walk through the forest with the occasional jaw-dropping views of glaciers. Which would be very fun, but might not be as great as circumnavigating Glacier Peak or the Big SEKI loop we were originally discussing. I (perhaps incorrectly?) recall Wonderland permits in MRNP are transferable to others on the itinerary. Is that so for NCNP as well?

Silas

Silas
PostSat Mar 25, 2023 11:56 am 
Zimmtertr, WE did that route for our honeymoon in September 2017. We ended up going up Sourdough and down Pierce for more views. Got socked in at Whatcom Pass/Tapto which was a bummer. Park Creek Pass has good view, Beaver Pass does not have many views. Felt like a forest walk for most of it, but a very beautiful forest walk. Also, felt good to travel the whole park. I believe out itinerary was: Night 1: Park Creek Pass Night 2: Thunder Creek Night 3: Pierce Night 4: Beaver Pass Night 5: Whatcom Out Let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers.

zimmertr
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Mar 25, 2023 1:23 pm 
We have done Access Creek to Whatcom Pass and it is easy except for the final climb up to the pass which is 2000’ of vertical. There are no reall views until you are near the Pass. Excellent views at the pass if you head up toward Tapto/ Middle lakes a short distance. Good views if you go north on the ridge toward Whatcom Peak also. Nice designated camps at Whatcom Pass as all the cool kids go to Tapto and Middle Lakes if they can get reservations.. Everything north of the Pass is closed off this year. There is a route from Canada to Whatcom Pass alluded to in the video by the two women on this site but it looks pretty extreme for civilians and sane people.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

zimmertr