Forum Index > Photography Talk > photography MFA student looking for mountain dirt!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cascadianpeaks
Mountain Soil

cascadianpeaks
Mountain Soil
PostWed Mar 22, 2023 9:08 am 
This might be a bit of an odd request. I am originally from Washington, and I want to get dirt from where I hiked as a child for my thesis project. When I still lived there, my father took us hiking in the Darrington Ranger district almost every weekend. I'd like to get about 3-4 US cups worth of dirt from the area. I'm especially interested in dirt from peaks we hiked more than once like Gothic Basin, Mt Pilchuck, and Three Fingers—but dirt from any part of that ranger district will work. I will be using it in sculptures that will be used in my photos, a film, and an installation If someone happens to be going over there and is willing to mail me some dirt let me know!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
huron

huron
PostWed Mar 22, 2023 9:27 am 
How will you know you are getting authentic dirt? Seems like low-effort art. Why not go there yourself, get yourself some proven peak dirt and re-live an experience that you can tell about in your project?

cascadianpeaks
Mountain Soil

cascadianpeaks
Mountain Soil
PostWed Mar 22, 2023 9:33 am 
Because I live many states away, and as a student crushing through my final semester, I have neither the time or money to spend 3+ days going across the country to grab dirt. In terms of "low effort art", did you think I was just going to display a pile of dirt and call it good? I've already spent over a month working on the sculptures that will contain the dirt, and there's about a month of work left after that. I already have dirt from mountains which I am similarly attached to in Taiwan. As for authenticity, I'd just hope people are cool and give them the benefit of the doubt. I know that if still I lived in WA that I would do this for someone if I could, and if I couldn't then I wouldn't lie and grab dirt from my backyard instead.

Gil

Gil
PostThu Mar 23, 2023 5:39 pm 
Hi there: I am leaving town for about 10 days tomorrow, but when I get back, if no one else has stepped up, I'll go up to Darrington and get you some dirt! My daughter is an artist, so I understand the need for genuine ingredients!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini

cascadianpeaks
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Mar 23, 2023 5:52 pm 
cascadianpeaks wrote:
dirt from peaks we hiked more than once like Gothic Basin, Mt Pilchuck, and Three Fingers
We have a heavy snow pack this spring and more snow on the way this weekend. Those areas will probably be buried until July this year. How much of a hurry are you?

cascadianpeaks
cascadianpeaks
Mountain Soil

cascadianpeaks
Mountain Soil
PostWed Mar 29, 2023 7:44 am 
Hi, thank you so much! I will figure out how to send you a message on here

cascadianpeaks
Mountain Soil

cascadianpeaks
Mountain Soil
PostWed Mar 29, 2023 7:45 am 
I need it by the end of April, would the trailheads also be buried in snow or just the peaks? I haven't been there in a long while

huron

huron
PostWed Mar 29, 2023 12:09 pm 
Here ya go. One North Cascades dirtbag. Curious.. what does zoomer art look like?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Mar 30, 2023 5:08 pm 
cascadianpeaks wrote:
I need it by the end of April, would the trailheads also be buried in snow or just the peaks? I haven't been there in a long while
Yes; likely on those trail heads; they could be melting by then but the roads will likely be snowed in. 3 Fingers for sure won't be accessible. Pilchuck - maybe but doubtful, Gothic Basin - maybe but doubtful. Melt hasn't even started yet. I'm sorry. Will a lowland trail like Old Sauk or Boulder River do?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert