Forum Index > Photography Talk > DPReview to close April 10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostTue Mar 21, 2023 2:00 pm 
News Release I won't count myself much beyond an amateur but found this website a great resource when I bought my first "real" camera a couple years ago. Looks like it fell victim to Amazon's cutbacks. I'm sure there are folks on NWHikers who have been on there much longer; beyond that I know many of the editorial staff are Seattle based. Curious what others on the forum think!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Mar 21, 2023 6:46 pm 
Sad but I think reflective of trends. Convenience and computational advantages of cell phones killing traditional camera market, shift in audience to social media, forum discussion mostly dominated by Facebook, etc.

gb, seawallrunner
Gil

Gil
PostWed Mar 22, 2023 6:11 pm 
All true, Tom. But I wonder at Amazon's willingness to completely pull the plug and not archive the site. I'm hoping they won't next turn to burning down libraries that hold books they sold! With the laudatory statements made by various manufacturers about DPR, perhaps there's still room for an independent site to provide the kind of services that DPR provided.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Mar 22, 2023 10:48 pm 
I loved their comparison tool. I'd read their reviews to pick a new camera and the comparison tool let me know exactly what I was getting.
Some of the cameras I've owned
Some of the cameras I've owned

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 22, 2023 11:25 pm 
Yeah I don't understand why Amazon wouldn't just sell it. Not like the forums are that active, but if forum maintenance is an issue just archive and close them and focus on reviews. Staff and office space are probably the biggest expense so slash those and either keep the site going with bare bones staff ala how Phil ran it back in the day or sell to another review site with staff willing to carry the torch.

domaz

domaz
PostThu Mar 23, 2023 8:26 am 
As far as Amazon goes the less reviews and information on an item the better I guess. That way they can let sellers game the system with fake reviews without anyone to check them.

Slugman
Gil

Gil
PostThu Mar 23, 2023 5:36 pm 
Oh the forums are very active. I've gleaned a lot from the Nikon forums over the years. I recently joined some of the challenges and actually won one!

BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostFri Mar 24, 2023 12:29 pm 
Tom wrote:
Sad but I think reflective of trends. Convenience and computational advantages of cell phones killing traditional camera market, shift in audience to social media, forum discussion mostly dominated by Facebook, etc.
I think the idea of a switch to social media audience is an interesting one. I suppose if you are in the business of reviewing cameras you would rather run your own blog or youtube channel than work for some other company? Certainly there are lots of youtube camera and lens reviewers out there. Perhaps this is paralleled by the move to personal blogs, youtube channels, or ig accounts for those interested in hiking and the outdoors, rather than contribution to a broader forum like NWHikers, ClubTread, Backcountry Post etc? I do think despite cell phones killing the low end camera market there is still a place for midrange and up cameras.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Mar 25, 2023 12:59 pm 
Tom wrote:
Yeah I don't understand why Amazon wouldn't just sell it.
Frupidity. Frugality is a core tenet of Amazon's corporate culture, and they really drill home that you - as an employee and decision maker - should cut costs anywhere you can, even if it's a stupid decision. Frugal Stupidity. Frupidity. I guarantee a big driver of them not selling it is because it would require time and money to be spent to find a buyer that they otherwise could save by just shutting it down, even if that cost would be offset by the sale amount. Source: worked in Amazon corporate for 3 years.

Bryan Swan Pictures - http://www.bryanswanphotography.com Waterfalls - www.waterfallsnorthwest.com

fourteen410
Wawhiker

Wawhiker
PostFri Mar 31, 2023 6:38 am 
DPRevived.com appears to be the leading effort to carry on DPReview... https://dprevived.com/t/smashed-through-1600-members/258/

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Jun 21, 2023 8:48 am 
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jun 21, 2023 11:44 am 
Great news! This is from the DPReview website
Quote:
Dear readers, We’ve heard from many of you over the past several weeks, and we realize there are many questions about what comes next for DPReview. We’re thrilled to share the news that Gear Patrol has acquired DPReview. Gear Patrol is a natural home for the next phase of DPReview’s journey, and I’m excited to see what we can accomplish together. I want to reassure you that we remain firmly committed to what makes DPReview great: the best camera reviews in the business, industry-leading photography news and features, and one of the most active photography communities anywhere on the internet. This is just the beginning of a new chapter for DPReview and we don’t have all the answers yet, but I’m sharing what we know below and will continue to share information about this change as we get more acquainted with our partners at Gear Patrol. Thank you for your continued support of our team and legacy. We appreciate it and can't thank you all enough. - Scott Everett General Manager - DPReview.com

Gil

Gil
PostWed Jun 21, 2023 8:00 pm 
I'm not sure this is all good news. Gear Patrol seems to be more glossy shopper than objectivity-focused review site. Guess we'll see if they maintain the quality of their evaluations.