Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Old Air Base Photograph
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Mar 31, 2023 11:54 am 
Hancock Lake on Whidbey Island was a bombing range and they're still blowing up ones that didn't go off. They set some off just a couple of weeks ago. I worked for Weyerhaeuser for a couple of years in North Carolina and some of the trees they brought into the mill had bullets in them from the Civil War.
Walla Walla Airport was also a former military base https://www.wallawallaairport.com/airport-information/history

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Mar 31, 2023 12:26 pm 
Had a friend who used to cut firewood out on the ranges at JBFLM, a piece of shrapnel does a number on a saw real quick.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Dick B

Dick B
PostFri Mar 31, 2023 2:19 pm 
I remember going by the Greenbank bombing site after the war. I would help my Dad pick up and haul milk to the Darigold plant in Mt. Vernon. As I recall there were several white panels laid out in a line down along the beach. I didn't realize there was an actual named lake there. It's the first place, while traveling up the Island, that you can see the Sound looking across the Strait to the Olympics. There is still a bombing range here in Oregon at Boardman. Google says it is used by NAS Whidbey. Can't fly over it as it is restricted air space. A fellow I had worked with at Sunriver took a job up in the Tri Cities. One time he flew I and another guy up to see the project he was working on. He was flying us back to Bend after dark in a Cessna Twin. His route took him right over the bombing range. He was politely told by air control to alter course as he was entering restricted air space. We had to divert to The Dalles. He was busy changing nav aids and frequencies so I got to fly the plane for awhile. Only time I was pilot in command of a twin. Maybe 15 minutes. :>)