Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > NCAA Tourney 2023
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostMon Apr 03, 2023 11:42 am 
Riiiiight. So different
Angel Reese also pointed at her ring finger. Caitlin Clark also said "You're down by 15 points, shut up". But only one of them is "classless" https://www.npr.org/2023/04/03/1167704651/angel-reese-caitlin-clark-you-cant-see-me-gesture

rocknclimb
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Apr 03, 2023 1:01 pm 
You have to look at duration of the gesture, and also the fact that Reese followed Clark around the court doing it. Again, not the same thing. At all. But carry on with your interpretation of it. I see Reese and some pundits played the race card regarding the incident. Clark is a trash talker, no disputing that. So is Van Lith. Probably a bunch of other players are as well. I have no idea of everything that happens on the court or is said during a game. This incident was highly visible. I know if I just won a National Championship I would be immediately celebrating with my teammates, not following an opponent around the court harassing them. But that's just me.

Chief Joseph
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostMon Apr 03, 2023 1:41 pm 
Good for Reese and LSU. Nothing about waving your hand over your face & pointing to the ring finger is classless. sh## talking in competitive sports is a thing and always will be. Is John Cena classless? How about Joe Burrow, Aaron Donald, and the vast number of champs who pointed at their ring finger in championship games? They dedicated an incredible amount of time, sweat, and tears to be there. Celebrate unapologetically!

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?

rubywrangler
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostMon Apr 03, 2023 6:43 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
race card
But that's just me.
Well clearly you're not a 20 year old girl with a chip on her shoulder. When you win the national championship, you can celebrate however you want, too. biggrin.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Apr 03, 2023 7:06 pm 
rubywrangler wrote:
Well clearly you're not a 20 year old girl
This is true. I don't want to argue with you, so I'm going to completely change gears. TV viewership for the Championship game was excellent. Viewership and attendance throughout the Tourney was increased from recent years. Many great games with talented players on display. Some of the players having big personalities probably helps draw viewers. This is all very good for the sport, hopefully interest in it continues to grow.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Apr 08, 2023 1:23 pm 
Surprised Slugman didn't follow up to crow about UConn winning the men's Championship. They were never even really tested, just cruised thru the Tourney. If it wasn't for Baylor a couple years ago, I'd say this was one of the more dominating runs thru the Tourney we've seen in quite a while.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Apr 08, 2023 1:25 pm 
I haven't even been paying attention to the transfer portal for the men, but it's been a crazy week for the women. Several big names entering, quite surprising. Just today Haley Van Lith hit the portal. Rampant speculation about where she goes. She is listed as "do not contact," so she probably already knows what her new school will be.

Get Out and Go
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Apr 08, 2023 4:51 pm 
I heard about the Van Lith move on sports radio while driving on the way back from Mission. My mind immediately went into speculation mode: Desire for a title???(UConn, LSU, Iowa...) or maybe somewhere closer to home??? WSU, UW, Gonzaga (YES, the women!) and now I see on-line, even the Ducks and Stanford. dizzy.gif The fact that a week later, Women's NCAA continues to be interesting because of superb play AND big personalities is great. I still think the Iowa-South Carolina game was one of the more entertaining sporting events I've watched in recent years. up.gif up.gif up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 10:53 am 
Surprised Slugman didn't follow up to crow about UConn winning the men's Championship. They were never even really tested, just cruised thru the Tourney. If it wasn't for Baylor a couple years ago, I'd say this was one of the more dominating runs thru the Tourney we've seen in quite a while.
Didn’t want to gloat. OK, yes I did want to. hmmm.gif To be honest, the Final Four seemed a little anticlimactic. Who knew that having most experts say your team is unbeatable would ruin it? SDSU gave me a good scare when they pulled to 5 down with 5 minutes left. But the 9-0 UConn run after that had the feeling of being inevitable. I hope the rest of the country can put up a better fight next year. embarassedlaugh.gif

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 3:54 pm 
Yea, the only problem with March Madness is that many times the best teams don't make it to the final 4 or even the Elite 8. An underdog has a hot game, the big favorite has an off game, season over. I mean, sure it's cool to have a Cinderella Story, but for me, I want to watch the best teams play for the title, but I know that's not realistic. I recall years ago that the NBA had a best of 3 first round series....the highly favored Sonics were beaten by the lowly Nuggets I think it was, end of that format.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 4:06 pm 
I think most years the excitement dies down after the second weekend. Everyone’s favorite team is gone, except the four. But it would have been better if Houston or Alabama or some such had made it through.