Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Open AI & ChatGPT
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 30, 2023 11:32 am 
FTC should stop OpenAI from launching new GPT models, says AI policy group An artificial intelligence-focused tech ethics group has asked the Federal Trade Commission to investigate OpenAI for violating consumer protection rules, arguing that the organization’s rollout of AI text generation tools has been “biased, deceptive, and a risk to public safety.”

zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NightOwl

NightOwl
PostThu Mar 30, 2023 12:59 pm 
I learned long ago that in this society, technology is driven primarily by PR, and always seems to fall short and disappoint. And technologies that do change the world often make it worse. Does anyone think twitter, tiktok, etc. have improved anything? AI is part of that technology triumvirate, along with space travel and nuclear fusion, that have been hyped since the 1950s as world-revolutionizing tech just around the corner, but never seems to arrive. It might be interesting if it becomes something that demonstrates sovereign will and the properties of life, but for now its just dead data processing that is nothing without its programmers; I don't find it interesting at all or fear it in the slightest. But then I stopped watching movies and most media a long time ago, so their PR, fear-mongering and hype doesn't have much effect on me.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 30, 2023 1:57 pm 
NightOwl wrote:
And technologies that do change the world often make it worse.
You don't really believe that, do you? Technology is the reason small pox isn't still destroying lives.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Apr 07, 2023 2:19 pm 
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostMon Apr 10, 2023 6:56 pm 
So I asked Bing's AI what the reasoning is behind some people's fear that AI could drive us to extinction. It came back with a few general theories, like AI could develop general human intelligence or superintelligence, and decide to eliminate us as getting in the way of its goals. It didn't say how a computer program could have goals, or much else. Very vague. Then I asked: "Are you intelligent enough to drive me to extinction?" I immediately told me that it did not want to continue with the conversation. If you have half a brain, Bingo, tell me your thoughts. I find this trend toward censorship very disturbing. Maybe this ongoing trend toward "correct speak" (or "non-speak") will make us all stupid asses -- which will drive us to extinction as thinking humans.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Apr 10, 2023 9:46 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
NightOwl wrote:
You don't really believe that, do you? Technology is the reason small pox isn't still destroying lives.
You, don't believe that it often makes it worse? Technology is the reason youth suicide is on the increase, especially among teen girls, and, its destroying lives.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want

NightOwl
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 9:08 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
NightOwl wrote:
You don't really believe that, do you?
One of the most striking aspects of historical anthropological records is just how happy primitive peoples were when they were first discovered by scientists. This despite life expectancies in the 40s. As a species, we don't seem to be that happy now. When I visited the Dominican Republic, I was amazed at how happy and friendly the poor people were in all the villages. (The DR is structurally poor, nothing to mine, infertile soils, marginal fishing, etc.) Then later we were driving by a bus stop in front of a long row of inclusivos (resort hotels that keep their clients in organized settings at all times). There was a group of Dominican hotel workers in uniforms waiting to take the bus home. These comparatively wealthy Dominicans were the only ones who looked sad.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
NightOwl

NightOwl
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 10:21 am 
Yeah, this idea that technology = progress is more of a religious article of faith than an empirical fact. Like every religion, techno-progressivism has a priesthood that is constantly propagandizing the rest of us in pursuit of power. But for every example of a way technology has improved something, I could give one showing that it has made things worse. It's a very silly religion. With ChatGPT, it sounds like it is basically just a statistical pattern-matcher working on large sets of data. Meaning it has zero actual understanding of the world. Real intelligence requires embodiment in the world, which ChatGPT doesn't have, as this article explains: It takes a body to understand the world – why ChatGPT and other language AIs don’t know what they’re saying

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 10:27 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
NightOwl wrote:
You, don't believe that it often makes it worse?
Sure. Sometimes technology is helpful and sometimes it isn't, just like everything else in life. On the whole, not one person in this thread wants to give up their refrigerator and go back to eating only that they catch, so you guys seem to agree with me that technology benefits us on balance.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 10:29 am 
NightOwl wrote:
Yeah, this idea that technology = progress is more of a religious article of faith than an empirical fact. Like every religion, techno-progressivism has a priesthood that is constantly propagandizing the rest of us in pursuit of power.
This is the kind of talk you hear from people holding signs on street corners.

NightOwl

NightOwl
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 10:34 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
NightOwl wrote:
Yeah, this idea that technology = progress is more of a religious article of faith than an empirical fact. Like every religion, techno-progressivism has a priesthood that is constantly propagandizing the rest of us in pursuit of power.
This is the kind of talk you hear from people holding signs on street corners.
Well I'm not holding a sign on a street corner, but even if I was what different would it make? Seems like a content-free argument to me, although it's clearly meant to be condescending. Which sort of illustrates what I said, that techno-progressivism is constantly propagandizing the rest of us in pursuit of power.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 11:15 am 
Sculpin wrote:
One of the most striking aspects of historical anthropological records is just how happy primitive peoples were when they were first discovered by scientists. This despite life expectancies in the 40s. As a species, we don't seem to be that happy now.
Amazing that you're choosing to spend your time on the internet, if you believe this. 🤔

NightOwl

NightOwl
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 11:31 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Sculpin wrote:
One of the most striking aspects of historical anthropological records is just how happy primitive peoples were when they were first discovered by scientists. This despite life expectancies in the 40s. As a species, we don't seem to be that happy now.
Amazing that you're choosing to spend your time on the internet, if you believe this. 🤔
The point is more that civilization may be evolving in ways that aren't actually making people happier, but it also burns bridges to our old ways of life, so going back to a more primitive past isn't really an option. What technology brings is not greater happiness, but greater power. This is what drives it, and it's the reason we can't go back. Technological civilization will not leave anyone alone, as long as there are untapped markets and people who haven't yet been "saved". To paraphrase Trotsky, "you may not be interested in technological civilization, but technological civilization is interested in you."

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 11:48 am 
Cool story, bro.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 12:40 pm 
Just read this on the internet: “I wanted to go live in the woods. Then my phone informed me that my screen time last week averaged 7.4 hours per day.”

zimmertr