Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > any knife sharpening aficionados in the group?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostMon Apr 10, 2023 9:47 pm 
For most my life I thought I had some skill. But lately, my knifes are happier than ever. I've combined some of the many techniques on Youtube with some of my own experience and the steel is really much sharper! This is my latest setup.
Anyway, if you enjoy a sharpe knife, and would like to share your system, I would be very interest to hear about it! Cheers B!

trestle
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 12:09 am 
I use a chefschoice, good enough for govment work. Go ahead call be a thug.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 6:05 am 
Smith's pull thru sharpener and knife steel. The Smith's gets the blade edge at the correct angle and the steel puts the final sharp edge on. The knife gets really sharp and stays sharp for several uses. And the process only takes seconds. The Smith's sharpener is reasonably priced and you can get replacement steel and ceramic teeth. Some say this method will take a toll on your blade over time. That's probably correct, but knives are meant to be used not set in a rack and looked at.
Smith's handheld sharpener and steel
Smith's handheld sharpener and steel

Now I Fly
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 4:31 pm 
If you have never used a knife steel here is a Gordon Ramsey vid. However, having spent a third of my life working in the middle east and eating gyro type street wraps the whole time, I can say that is not the way the street guys did it. They would hold the steel vertically and draw the knife blade down the steel toward the ground. Always tipping the blade at an angle into the steel. BTW, a gyro is called a shawarma in the Arabian Gulf states.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Apr 14, 2023 12:28 am 
HitTheTrail wrote:
If you have never used a knife steel here is a Gordon Ramsey vid.
I have to agree with some of the comments. I have sharpened all my shop tools, mainly planes and chisels, for years with water stones. I learned that one always works to push metal back from the edge. When I use a steel to hone my kitchen knives I have the sharp end away from me and push the blade away. That's the opposite of what the video shows. If I'm wrong, I'd love to know it.

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostFri Apr 14, 2023 4:51 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
They would hold the steel vertically and draw the knife blade down the steel toward the ground. Always tipping the blade at an angle into the steel.
I worked in a fish market for a couple years, and that is how I learned to use a steel. In theory backwards to the direction I used now, pulling away (like in the video), rather than pulling towards (that would make a mess of your strop).