Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Kinsey Logging Photos - location checks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DWB27

DWB27
PostFri Feb 03, 2023 1:01 pm 
A Seattle Times article has some amazing logging photos including wooden train trestles that defy engineering. Times Article Kinsey Photography I immediately bought the book's 2 volumes that contain some of this collection's photos. There are 2 photos that I'd like to figure out where they were taken. The book cover is:
Woolley Probs
Woolley Probs
The Trestle Photos are:
Where is this? Them are some big logs!
Where is this? Them are some big logs!
Says Bloedel Donovan and Saxon Camp so maybe Wickersham Acme area east of the Lake Whatcom?
Says Bloedel Donovan and Saxon Camp so maybe Wickersham Acme area east of the Lake Whatcom?
I'd like to see if I can duplicate these photos to today to see what is left and what the trees look like now 100+ years later. Please reply! Thanks

“Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." - H. Jackson Brown

RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostSat Feb 04, 2023 10:12 am 
check out "Logging Railroads in Skagit County". Dave at Easton's had a bunch. When I worked in Forestry in the 70's there were still a bunch in good enough condition to walk on. Now good luck smile.gif One of the biggest was across the Sauk near the confluence with the Skagit. Quite an engineering feat.

burroughs777
burroughs777

burroughs777
burroughs777
PostMon Apr 17, 2023 5:45 pm 
I believe the bottom pic to be the Cavanaugh Creek trestle....which is located in a magical area along the south fork nooksack river valley between Lyman hill and New York mountain, over the years I've done a few hikes there searching for any hints of it with no luck(along with the Rothenbuhler cabin which I hear is still intact) I read about someone saying in 1993 they found many of the pilings still upright altho very camouflaged by second growth...

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Apr 17, 2023 8:59 pm 
The log acting as some kind of footing beam in the second photo is something else. Is it likely they imposed a 10mph limit on the trains? Is there cross bracing to be installed before use? Or is this thing more stable than it appears?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
trestle

trestle
PostSat Apr 22, 2023 10:20 am 
Pyrites wrote:
log acting as some kind of footing beam
That appears to be more of a skid-line than a rail-line, based on the lack of track or grade on the left side of the pic.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode