Forum Index > The Trading Post > WTB (2) 2-person trekking pole tarp tents
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 11:29 am 
This is the season we're finally going to do a family (of 4) backpacking trip or two! I have two older style REI 2P tentsm, but they are quite heavy and I'm looking to shave some weight, especially since we'll be taking heavier/bulkier backpacks to carry the kids' extra gear. I'd entertain floorless or enclosed models, but looking to try and find something inexpensive (hence looking for used). Anyone have anything they're not needing? Or recommendations if I end up needing to get new ones? Tarptent Preamble looks good (and affordable, $200), or MLD Duomid ($280), etc. if I need to go that route...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 4:46 pm 
Not sure how big your kiddos are, but the Black Diamond MegaLight pyramid tent can accommodate up to 4. You may even use two trekking poles with an gizmo and/or few voile straps.

Bargainhunter

Bargainhunter
PostWed Apr 12, 2023 9:00 am 
I'm a big fan of the Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT. https://mountainsmith.com/products/mountain-shelter-lt I got a few in the pre-Covid days for ~$70 before the price run up. I don't hike with trekking poles so I made my own carbon fiber equivalents and they've held up in big snow dumps and extreme winds. Once it's staked out it's super solid. I appreciated the heavy duty materials, especially after watching thinner ultralight tents self-destruct. Since I've purchased mine, Mountainsmith was sold, so I'm not sure if the quality is still there. But there appears to be plenty of new old stock out there.

bccarlso

bccarlso
PostThu Apr 13, 2023 12:15 pm 
@Randito - think I want to go with (2) 2P shelters since it won't always be us four going. @Bargainhunter - thanks for the recommendation, I'll check that out.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Apr 13, 2023 1:26 pm 
The Black Diamond Beta Light is a two person version. Sets up with two trekking poles. With the edges staked down flush to the ground , protection from poor weather in both the Mega and the Beta is pretty good. The mega flaps a bit more when the wind gets stronger. As supplied by the factory, they work less well in warm and buggy conditions. Staking out flush to the ground limits ventilation. But raising the edges a bit from the ground results in more bugs coming in. BD sells a bug inner tent with a floor. but wiegh and bulk are equal or greater than the tent/tarp itself. Sewing a foot wide swath of Mosquito netting along the bottom edge helps improve ventilation without letting too many pests in.

bccarlso

bccarlso
PostFri Apr 14, 2023 8:28 am 
That's one thing I did like about the Tarptent Preamble, it has a built in bug skirt.

CS

CS
PostSun Apr 16, 2023 1:19 pm 
I have one of these HG Trek tarps w/ d-rings, packs down small, pretty light and indestructible. Already seam-sealed smile.gif $60 or something? https://hammockgear.com/the-trek/

bccarlso

bccarlso
PostThu Apr 20, 2023 8:04 am 
CS wrote:
I have one of these HG Trek tarps w/ d-rings, packs down small, pretty light and indestructible. Already seam-sealed smile.gif $60 or something? https://hammockgear.com/the-trek/
While I'm tempted to take you up on that for use with my hammock (not a big fan of my ENO DryFly), I think it's a big minimal for my daughter and I to feel comfortable in, without a beak and at least some minimal bugnetting to the ground. biggrin.gif Very tempting though..

CS
Greensleeves
Greensleeves

Greensleeves
Greensleeves
PostSat Apr 22, 2023 3:03 pm 
Check out Luxe outdoor, strictly trek pole tents. Very lightweight, have taken mine on multiple trips to Peru, has held up in worst weather

Greensleeves
CS

CS
PostSat Apr 22, 2023 3:32 pm 
That Luxe company is pretty confusing, I could never tell if it was a scam or not. But it looks like there's a notice about the one in Forks: http://www.luxeoutdoor.com/eng/catalog-topic-gallery-view1.asp?id=1489&selfpath=/30

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostSun Apr 23, 2023 9:26 am 
Just a note for clarification: BD Beta Light changed the tent config a year or two ago and I suspect both versions may still be available. The older version is basically a trekking pole tarp with full closure if staked to the ground. Very light and roomy. The newer version has mesh attached to the bottom to provide bug protection when ventilated by staked up a bit and is a bit smaller. As Randito noted the "Beta Bug" designed to fit inside the older Beta Light is very heavy for what it does.