Forum Index > Gear Talk > Self-contained 4-Runner sekrit camper
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Apr 08, 2023 3:46 pm 
This came up in my youtube feed while looking at something else. All the solar-charged gadgetry is pretty nifty. Well, all the gadgets, period. Worth watching to the end as there are a number of cool items I'd never heard of before, like the unusual compact fire extinguishers, and the ceiling frame for attaching stuff. He's used every available inch of space, but alas, no room for a travel companion, unless they sleep outside.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

Slim
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon Apr 10, 2023 11:46 am 
I love that YouTube channel. Tristan does some amazing adventures and interviews some interesting folks with all different kinds of rigs fitted out for camping.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Apr 10, 2023 1:51 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
but alas, no room for a travel companion, unless they sleep outside.
Lol, I would prefer that anyway, unless it's my cat.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Apr 10, 2023 3:08 pm 
I did something similar in my CRV for a trip. Problem is , at least in a CRV , even without a raised platform there isn't enough headroom to sit up. So its OK for a week or so, but longer term not so much. You don't really need a stealth camper unless you are trying to camp in urbanized areas. I built a stealth camper van for my daughter using a Nissan NV-200 cargo van as a base. Big enough for her and her dog, but not big enough for a human companion. Two hundred watts of solar panels and some batteries provide power to the 12 volt powered cooler -- not having to deal with ice and draining the melt water is a big plus when doing #vanlife for a whole summer.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 12:05 am 
A f 150 and a pop up camper is enough stealth mum.gif for us. 100 w on roof and 100 w briefcase keeps frig going in the summer. If wind is too high or prying eyes are around you can keep top down and cozy up on couch or floor. Normal point in camping in urban area

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Gil

Gil
PostTue Apr 11, 2023 4:39 pm 
The ultimate travel van is ... A 1999 Toyota Sienna with nearly 300K on it. A simple camp cot occupies one side, with the legs lashed to the seat anchors. Duffels go underneath. The third row right seat remains as the lounge/reading chair. Water, food, coolers go behind the third row chair and under the end of the cot. Books slip in beside the seat. Of course, more than one is a problem, but we've gotten around that by just taking out the third row seat and using the rest of the floor space.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon Apr 24, 2023 2:11 pm 
I haven't watched that particular video yet, but my dad and I made a camping platform for my Honda Pilot. It's an older model, and the seats don't go down flat. We made a drawer and a slide-out table. I haven't used the drawer really, but I do use the table a lot to cook on. I think it's best for one person, with 2 you'd have to put all your gear and food in the front seats at night. I also have the problem that the ceiling is just a bit too short, it's tough to sit up and to change clothes inside. I'm 5'8" and sometimes my feet hit the tailgate when I'm in bed, so taller folks might be a bit cramped. But despite the drawbacks, it's let me get out into colder temps and camp all year.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
huron

huron
PostMon Apr 24, 2023 8:35 pm 
Gil wrote:
Toyota Sienna
The Huron trailhead hotel

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Apr 25, 2023 12:51 am 
Way spiffier than the ol’ once upon a time Vega Kamback. Back seat folded true flat, add 3” thick poly foam from Ernst Malmo. Drive to trailhead on W side of Olympics, comfy sleep, ready at dawn.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Apr 25, 2023 7:11 am 
sure beats the ol 62 chev brookwood station wagon with boat on top, back loaded with gear. two adults two kids

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Apr 25, 2023 8:50 am 
When we were buying our 4 runner we got in the back to see if we could sleep in it. Salesman thought we were nuts. We.never made a video of it though.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn