Forum Index > Gear Talk > Wear on inside counter surface of hiking shoes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Apr 17, 2023 2:42 pm 
One of the things that drives me crazier is when I spend $150 or more on a pair of hiking shoes, only to have the first serious wear show up inside the heel counter (I think that's what it's called), like this:
Anyone have any luck getting this kind of thing fixed at a shoe repair place? One possible solution I'm thinking is to glue some stiff foam (like from an old sleeping pad) on, and then cut a piece of Tenacious tape patch or something similar, but as tough as I can find, over it. Or maybe skip the Tenacious tape (which is probably too thin) and use some kind of heavy nylon fabric with epoxy. Whaddya think? Any other ideas?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Apr 17, 2023 8:24 pm 
No ideas on a repair but this looks like the result of your heel moving around too much. Provided the shoes are sized correctly and you're not already doing so, you might try modifying the lacing to use a heel lock on the next pair.

Flickr | Strava

Fedor
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Apr 19, 2023 9:43 pm 
Thanks, I'll give this a try since this does seem to be a pattern with most of my shoes.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Apr 20, 2023 7:49 pm 
Zimmertr is spot on with his heel lock. There are even more lace arrangements that can be of help. Here are two online sources, there are others https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/lacing-hiking-boots.html https://www.backpacker.com/skills/beginner-skills/how-to-tie-hiking-boots/ I find myself using surgeon knots to enhance grip along the instep, secure the heel. Awhile back I had similar issues with running shoes (wearing out the inside of the heel). I suspect my heel was a tad narrow and that didn't help things. What I learned (the hard way) was that I had to pay a lot of attention to lacing up my boots. And adjusting the knots.

Off trail rambler

zimmertr, Fedor, Navy salad, InFlight
Fedor

Fedor
PostTue Apr 25, 2023 5:55 pm 
If you search shoe patch you'll find a variety of these available.

Navy salad
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon May 01, 2023 10:19 pm 
Thanks -- this is exactly what I was looking for! Although I still plan to try the heel lock lacing.

zimmertr
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue May 02, 2023 8:39 am 
Navy salad wrote:
Although I still plan to try the heel lock lacing.
I've never experienced that kind of wear on a shoe--so I may be shooting down the wrong hole here--but I have experienced wear (blisters) on my heel, and the solution to that problem has virtually always been to loosen the shoe's grip on my heel, not tighten it. The damage comes when the shoe needs to slip on the heel but can't, so something has to give. FWIW.

MtnManic, Navy salad
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 02, 2023 11:01 am 
I would look at different brands of shoes that use a different last. Some people have wide forefeet and a narrow heel. Hard to keep the heel from moving if the last is shaped for a wider heel.

Navy salad
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue May 02, 2023 10:22 pm 
Randito wrote:
Some people have wide forefeet and a narrow heel. Hard to keep the heel from moving if the last is shaped for a wider heel.
Interesting -- I think I do have wider forefeet (depending on the shoe, I sometimes buy a wide size and sometimes normal) and narrower heels. So shoes that are a good fit on the wide part of my feet may be "expecting" similarly wide heels and when they don't get them, they slip around. But at least they've never given me heel blisters.

huron

huron
PostWed May 03, 2023 8:40 am 
It's the material used by some brands that wears poorly. Similar to carpet. Some brands use a polyester covering over the foam and others use a nylon. You can tell in the store by feeling how coarse the fabric is on a particular shoe. Polyester feels soft and smooth. Nylon is a bit more rough. Brands tend to use the same fabric across all shoes. My experience is that Saucony does poorly. Had holes in some Peregrines after two runs. LaSportiva and Solomon hold up well in the heel. Brooks also does ok but only because the sole wears out first. A remedy to extend for another hundred miles or so is a layer of tape.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostMon May 08, 2023 3:52 pm 
I wear wide boots but have fairly narrow heels and have similar issues with low top shoes. I wear mid height boots when hiking and tie a square knot at the top of the lower laces just loose enough to get them on and off without untying it. Then I cinch my ankle up tight which really eliminates wear and blisters. For low top shoes I find Altras fit my heel better and provide room for my forefoot.

Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostMon May 15, 2023 3:51 pm 
I think that it’s mostly crappy material, mesh lining. I’ve had good luck taking them to my local cobbler and having a piece of leather sewn into the heel counter.

JimmyBob

JimmyBob
PostFri Jun 02, 2023 3:30 pm 
Lazyhiker wrote:
I’ve had good luck taking them to my local cobbler and having a piece of leather sewn into the heel counter
I will do this, as they're next door to my local candlestick-maker.

jinx'sboy, Cyclopath
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostFri Jun 02, 2023 8:34 pm 
I have a narrow heel and a wide foot. And I have weird arches….like ones that should be on feet much longer than mine. I always used to buy shoes and boots in the 9.5 - 10.5 range. Finally, buying some White’s Boots for firefighting years ago I got measured by someone who KNEW feet. He said - “oh you are an 8.5FF….you have very French feet” And they had that size on the shelf. I’m proud of my European roots! And, I still usually usually buy 9.5 or 10s to fit my arches. I DO use the surgeons knots over the instep….it has helped avoid the heel counter wear.

Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostMon Jun 05, 2023 7:02 am 
JimmyBob wrote:
Lazyhiker wrote:
I’ve had good luck taking them to my local cobbler and having a piece of leather sewn into the heel counter
I will do this, as they're next door to my local candlestick-maker.
We have two in Wenatchee