Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Seattle Backpackers Meetup Group (meetup.com)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lono

Lono
PostFri Jan 13, 2012 11:23 am 
No offense intended - I don't defend Seattle Meet Up mass gatherings that impact trails with the <12 heartbeat rule - but Rattlesnake is often inundated during daylight weekend hours by groups like this, they're just organized differently. I have seen literal busloads of [Korean] day hikers come up the trail - talking to one of them they were a church group out for their weekly constitutional. They were chatty, good hikers, and very respectful of the trail and other hikers. There were sure a lot of them though. Modulo management plans to the contrary, its in the Greenway, its their trail too. I don't go to Rattlesnake on weekends because of this Parade of Humanity (tm), or at least I go way early sometimes and beat the crowds. Passing 100 hikers on your way down the east end of Rattlesnake is not an uncommon thing.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Jan 13, 2012 2:38 pm 
Apparently the people who did attend the CPR class weren't all that impressed with what they learned:
Katie wrote:
The original post did mention that there would be some "wilderness" techniques demonstrated, which was appealing to me, but instead it was some "environmental" hazards focused on a work environment. The next classes should make clear in the description 1) the length of the program (~5 hrs) 2) the format (mostly video) and 3) the content (American Heart Association Workplace Focused Instruction)
Bait and switch. Cameron strikes again.
Doppelganger wrote:
It looks like REI was the site where Cameron's CPR class was held. ... Another reason to hit Second Ascent and Marmot Mountain Works, and Play It Again Sports when the drive is too far smile.gif
I agree it's disheartening to see groups like REI and the WTA enabling him. It's sickening to see him preying on their good graces and angling to make money off of something that costs him nothing. That being said, I don't think REI needs to do background checks on every person or group that ask to use their conference rooms. That's asking too much. I think at least a little burden ought to be on the people who sign up. Caveat emptor!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Aug 01, 2013 1:09 am 
Two Tickets to Paradise

Two Tickets to Paradise
PostThu May 04, 2023 7:44 pm 
January 20, 2023 A Leavenworth man (Cameron S. Ownbey) was sentenced to five years in prison Thursday for assaulting a woman in his own home. https://kpq.com/leavenworth-man-receives-five-year-sentence-for-sexual-assault/ While there are no photos of Cameron S. Ownbey included in any 2023 newspaper articles concerning this court case and conviction, in 1998, Seattle Backpackers Meetup Organizer Cameron S. Ownbey was 27-years-old. https://www.cftc.gov/sites/default/files/files/enf/01orders/enfglobaltelecom.pdf While ages and names align, at this time, it is only presumed the individual is one and the same.

Slugman, Tom