Forum Index > Trip Reports > Failed attempt Wheeler Peak, nv
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat May 06, 2023 9:33 pm 
Started up trail from Upper Lehman Campground as road is closed there. We hit deep snow 8500' or so put on spikes met some nice kids from Detroit on snowshoes. Mahed it to 10,000' car campground and were greeted with snow, sleet, hail, and high winds. Ate lunch and headed back doe as did our friends. Gona be a few weeks before this one is easy. Fun times avoided Epic.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Now I Fly, huron
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostSat May 06, 2023 9:55 pm 
Too bad about the conditions, but sounds like a good attempt in a cool place up.gif . My father and I tried it ~12 years ago on a bluebird day in October from the upper lot. Even with awesome weather I started getting a massive headache at ~12,700 (hadn't acclimated I guess?) and my father was getting tired of being blown around by 50 mph+ gusts so we turned around with the summit in sight... I'd like to go back for this one. I'm guessing the caves weren't open yet? Where did you end up staying in that area?

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat May 06, 2023 10:33 pm 
I was out that way a couple years ago, my group wasn't interested in the summit, but visiting the Bristle Cone Pine tree groves was amazing.

gb

gb
PostSun May 07, 2023 6:26 am 
I never went out that way because it is a long way from anywhere, though I was/have been very interested in the Bristlecones. Supposedly, Wheeler Peak is where the oldest Bristlecone at 5100 years was cut down to find out how old it was in the Fifties. Recently, an older Bristlecone has been found in the White Mountains. I did climb Notch Peak one time which is not far from there after seeing Galen Rowell images of it. That has smaller Bristlecones, good views and is a decent 3 star hike. The drive is impressive.....

ree
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun May 07, 2023 7:07 am 
Eastern Nevada is one of our favorite places uncrowded historic and scenic very different from Reno Vegas. We have a 4wheel truck camper. We stay in BLM campgrounds (free), National Park Campgrounds and, Boondocks. Third trip here did cave last trip but also visited Carlsbad so caves are out this year. Also tried for bristle cons last year but trail was flooded saw them several times in Whites and Bryce. Weather has been crazy this year. Lots of snow and storms on Highway 50.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun May 07, 2023 7:32 am 
Are you pursuing the ultra-prominent peaks?

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSun May 07, 2023 9:10 am 
Thanks for the snow update, have been following the weather as it is on the very near future list......dark skies and trees, oh my.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun May 07, 2023 10:57 am 
Mount Wheeler snotel is at 10, 000', currently at 29", 484% "normal" https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reports/UpdateReport.html;jsessionid=T1LMFdJgF6ABiqcuKecjhnC0cbqrMQKG7VMOasI9.nrcsprd0382?report=Nevada I've been there a bunch and typically (this year definitely not typical) I'd suggest first week of June as prime. Nice to have some snow patches (for drinking water) if you are doing a ridge run. Traversing Wheeler is nice. Some tedious talus as you round Baker Peak. Mount Moriah, a tad north is well worthwhile. As is Ibapah, in the Deep Creek Range (a northern extension of the Snake Range, barely over the border in Utah) John Hart's book Hiking the Great Basin has led me to many magical spots in the area. EDIT: Something seems weird with that snowtel reading. Two days later and it shows same depth reading.

Off trail rambler

ree, Kascadia
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun May 07, 2023 11:59 am 
I wanted to add part of John Hart's description of Moriah: "On this rounded peak, more than on any other Great Basin peak I can think of, you have the sensation not just of height but of deep remoteness, of immersion in wilderness. This part of the Snake Range is broad and primitive; the arid valley floors are a long way off and a long way down." Several ways up. I favor Hendrys Creek (done 3x) but have also done Hampton Creek on a ski trip. Moriah has a huge plateau at 11,000' known as "The Table. Like a giant mesmerizing porch to wander around after dinner, scanning the views of distant ranges. Peaklet rises to 12, 000'

Off trail rambler

Kascadia, ree
ree

ree
PostMon May 08, 2023 9:40 pm 
More Nevada!!! up.gif We did Wheeler in November and got blasted by the wind but we made it.

ree

ree
PostTue May 09, 2023 8:02 am 
gb wrote:
Supposedly, Wheeler Peak is where the oldest Bristlecone at 5100 years was cut down to find out how old it was in the Fifties. Recently, an older Bristlecone has been found in the White Mountains.
This is true. We were lucky to have Prometheus at our home for a time before s/he went back to Institute of Forest Genetics in Placerville, Ca. I took photos. You can see the bore holes in this specimen. I got a close up of the rings. Bristlecones grow very slow - the IFG scientist showed me her "baby" - 90 years old - it was barely the diameter of a pencil.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed May 10, 2023 12:55 pm 
I climbed it in May during a normal snow year. Great summit. Super windy. A ranger there told me they don't reveal the location of the stump of the (almost) oldest tree known, because they don't want it to get damaged. Doh! Irony alert......